Backpacking and Climbing

Backpacking and Climbing

This is a discussion on Backpacking and Climbing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This thread is kind-of inspired by the "Photographers" thread... but I am by no means a pro or amateur..... Anyhow.. I know there are a ...

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Backpacking and Climbing

This thread is kind-of inspired by the "Photographers" thread... but I am by no means a pro or amateur..... Anyhow.. I know there are a few of us on this forum who backpack. I also do a little bit of bouldering (small-scale climbing). Well, I'm spending the next month or so doing both - all over Arizona and southern California. I decided to set-up a Webshots account to dump all of my pictures there, rather than use the sub-par photobucket. This will be updated pretty regularly over the next three weeks or so.

LINK

Some aren't so recent, but I figured I'd put them up there anyhow. Enjoy!!

EDIT: I'm tossing up new pictures this morning from a trip we just got back from.
    Last edited by SixBravo; June 1st, 2007 at 12:08 PM.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I can't believe that some punks put graffiti on those rocks, well maybe I can.
    They probably think 'someone cares'.

Nice pics, be careful out there.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Very nice! Most of my climbing experience is limited to gyms, but I have had a chance to toprope at Rumney in NH, and I must say that having that granite or sandstone in your hand instead of a polymer hold is one of the most intense, visceral feelings I've ever experienced. I'm also by no means even an amateur - I'd say the toughest climb I've done was a single pitch of 5.9, with my comfort zone at 5.7-5.8. That was also 5 years and 50 pounds ago...

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Vertical and semi vertical faces is why the good lord gave Sikorsky the inspiration for the helicopter YMMV . LOL
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I miss climbing. I used to climb once a week when I lived in Nevada. Now that I am in NC, I can't seem to get a group together that wants to go (except for the new age hippie, granola eaters).

I couldn't consider myself an amateur either. More of a hobbyist.

I have thought about going up to one of the rocks near me to do some bouldering, but now I need to get the motivation. Maybe I need to look at those pictures some more and that will get me out there.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I used to climb rocks out in the cali desert (but only if I was driving my 188:1 rock krawler toyota...)
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Lead Moderator
    Nice pics. I do a fair amount of outdoor activity. Hiking, backpacking kayaking.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/northman111
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Rocky: Very cool!!! I especially dig the shots during the winter! That looks great!

Jchoo: Absolutely!!!!! I've been to a climbing gym up in northern VA out off of Rt. 7 near Dulles Town Center. That's what got me hooked on it. I thought it was a total blast and I climbed most of the afternoon until my arms would just give out when I was reaching. Then, coming back out here to AZ and moving to granite and such... WOW... I think you hit the nail on the head with "visceral."
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I used to climb rocks out in the cali desert (but only if I was driving my 188:1 rock krawler toyota...)
    Now that is a rush that can only be described as being in controll of an amusement park ride that goes where you want it to go...usually.

I was going to build my YJ into a crawler/trail rider, but two kids kind of took the wind out of that sail.

I am thinking about building a machine in the near (not soon enough) future from the frame up. Probably going with a Matkins frame and building from there.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Lead Moderator
    would love to do some rock climbing. We did a little in Tenn. and some in MI's Upper Pennisula. I love to try different outdoor sports, too bad I we don't have more rock areas around here.
    Pretty amazing the spectacular views from all over the U.S. This summer I am headed to AK , hopefully to kayak as well as do some hiking.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I did a lot of climbing when I lived in CA. After I moved to CO I slacked off some. Till I found a guy that was very good. He, and I worked at the same place. I was learning a lot, till he got married, and the new wife put a stop to it. It has been about 6 years since the last time I was on a rock.

The old saying if you want to sore with the eagles don't hang out with the turkeys. This guy was one of the eagles.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Links