Police in AZ want monkey for SWAT Team

This is a discussion on Police in AZ want monkey for SWAT Team within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; link Police in Mesa, Arizona Look to Hire Monkey to Assist SWAT Team During Emergency Operations MESA, Ariz.*Apr 18, 2005 —*The Mesa Police Department is ...

Thread: Police in AZ want monkey for SWAT Team

VIP Member

Police in AZ want monkey for SWAT Team

link

Police in Mesa, Arizona Look to Hire Monkey to Assist SWAT Team During Emergency Operations

MESA, Ariz.*Apr 18, 2005 —*The Mesa Police Department is looking to add some primal instinct to its SWAT team. And to do that, it's looking to a monkey.

"Everybody laughs about it until they really start thinking about it," said Mesa Officer Sean Truelove, who builds and operates tactical robots for the suburban Phoenix SWAT team. "It would change the way we do business."

Truelove is spearheading the department's request to purchase and train a capuchin monkey, considered the second smartest primate to the chimpanzee. The department is seeking about $100,000 in federal grant money to put the idea to use in Mesa SWAT operations.

The monkey, which costs $15,000, is what Truelove envisions as the ultimate SWAT reconnaissance tool.

Since 1979, capuchin monkeys have been trained to be companions for people who are quadriplegics by performing daily tasks, such as serving food, opening and closing doors, turning lights on and off, retrieving objects and brushing hair.

Truelove hopes the same training could prepare a monkey for special-ops intelligence.

Weighing only 3 to 8 pounds with tiny humanlike hands and puzzle-solving skills, Truelove said it could unlock doors, search buildings and find suicide victims on command. Dressed in a Kevlar vest, video camera and two-way radio, the small monkey would be able to get into places no officer or robot could go.

It has been a little over a year since Truelove filed a grant proposal with the U.S. Department of Defense under the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, and he is still waiting for word.

If the grant goes through, Truelove plans on learning how to train the monkey himself and keeping the sociable monkey at home, just like a K-9 officer would. He projects that $85,000 in grant money would outfit the monkey with gear and pay for veterinarian care, food and habitat for three years.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Sounds good, but where will it end?

Attached Images
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    I can't find a link but - seen the video clip of the ''Trunk Monkey'' anyone?? Food for thought LOL!

Ahhh - I think if you go HERE - it is the first one re road rage. The others should be worth a peek too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

yci
    Can't wait to hear what PETA will have to say about this one.

I actually like the idea.

DC Founder
    I am embarrassed to say that that is my local police department. The same ones that killed a drunk, unarmed man with a cell phone in front of my house. I normally rabidly defend LE but IMO the Mesa PD should not even have a SWAT team. They broke just about every rule on that shooting, peppered the whole neighborhood with over 80 rounds fired, including 15 rounds into the guy. We have chipped curbs and stucco all over the cul-de-sac where we live to remind us of it. Unfortunately, I watched the whole scenario unfold from my office window.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    well as long as the monkey is armed I guess it would be alright.

Links