Cuban Cigars= Yummy - Page 2

Cuban Cigars= Yummy

This is a discussion on Cuban Cigars= Yummy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For me life's simple pleasures include a cigar and a glass of scotch (also neat, What the?) The cigars do nothing for you sitting in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuban Cigars= Yummy

For me life's simple pleasures include a cigar and a glass of scotch (also neat, What the?)

The cigars do nothing for you sitting in a humidor. Enjoy them at your leisure.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Senior Moderator
    I've never smoked any really good ones but I would if I had the chance. When I used to live with my brother every Saturday we would smoke a cheap cigar.

They were good even though they were cheap!

I was on Vacation in Mexico 2 years ago. That was my first time enjoying a Cohiba. We were at a time share hanging around the pool bar and met some really nice folks. I was smoking some cheap cigar and talking to a older couple with my g/f. He told me that he just bought a box of Cohibas to take back with him. I told him that he might not be allowed to bring them back into the US. He then sent his wife back to the room to grab a few. She returned and passed everyone a Cohiba. That was a nice cigar and a nice guy for buying drinks and supplying a sweet cigar.

I I would like to thank the Cigar bar in Ann Arbor, MI for helping me get my new job. There is nothing like drinking and smoking a good cigar with someone who has ties in a major company to get you an interview and hired!

I must be retarded, but how can the US pass a law valid on foreign soil? It seems like if smoking a Cuban cigar is legal in Canada, and you're in Canada, and you smoke a Cuban cigar...what's wrong with that?

Quote Originally Posted by jsebens View Post
    I must be retarded, but how can the US pass a law valid on foreign soil? It seems like if smoking a Cuban cigar is legal in Canada, and you're in Canada, and you smoke a Cuban cigar...what's wrong with that?
    My thoughts exactly. I woulda thought twice about the actually validity of this law if I didn't read it on Foxnews.com.
    JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

I enjoy a Cohiba every now and then, but my favorite is Bolivar with a glass of Knob Creek 9 year old Kentucky bourbon on the rocks.

My brother is a big cigar aficianado - he has close to $5K worth of stogies in his humidor (the size of your standard chest of drawers) and he tells me the reason Cubans are illegal is because the soil in Cuba is enriched with lithium.

True or false?

I am entirely glad no one has mentioned any Tennessee whiskeys. Single barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon is where it's at, or at least some quality Scotch (like Johnny Walker Gold Label).

To the OP: smoke those babies, you aint getting any younger.

I happen to like the Cuban Seed Dominicans in the Ecuadorian wrappers. Cuesta Rey Centenario "Tuscany" is a very nice smoke.
    Quote Originally Posted by What the? View Post
    My tastes change, but right now, my favorite is a Montecristo White #3, with a double shot (neat) of Elijah Craig 18-year-old Single Barrel Bourbon.

Edit: +1 on the hammock
    Excellent choices, especially on the bourbon. I got my dad a fifth of the 18-year last year for his birthday, but he doesn't drink all that much. Very exceptional bourbon, and they don't distribute all that much of it.
    My friends and I discovered another hard-to-find, single barrel bourbon that is out of this world. IF you can find a bottle (and the IF is emphasized), Eagle Rare 17 yr. is an exceptional Bourbon, even the 10 yr. can not be beat for its price. We had a bourbon tasting about a year and half ago, and we had about $500 worth of bourbon there, and the 17 yr. took the grand prize, beating Booker's and Baker's. I managed to find a three-bottle case by freak chance, gave one to my friend for his birthday and kept the other two for myself and still have most of one left.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    ...and he tells me the reason Cubans are illegal is because the soil in Cuba is enriched with lithium.

True or false?
    I think the reason they are illegal is because of the trade embargo we have against Cuba. AFAIK the embargo is not in place because of Cuba's soil chemistry.

Castro is the reason they are illegal. The trade embargo is considered a weapon to put pressure on Castro and pretty much includes whatever is made in Cuba, not just cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Excellent choices, especially on the bourbon. I got my dad a fifth of the 18-year last year for his birthday, but he doesn't drink all that much. Very exceptional bourbon, and they don't distribute all that much of it.
    My friends and I discovered another hard-to-find, single barrel bourbon that is out of this world. IF you can find a bottle (and the IF is emphasized), Eagle Rare 17 yr. is an exceptional Bourbon, even the 10 yr. can not be beat for its price. We had a bourbon tasting about a year and half ago, and we had about $500 worth of bourbon there, and the 17 yr. took the grand prize, beating Booker's and Baker's. I managed to find a three-bottle case by freak chance, gave one to my friend for his birthday and kept the other two for myself and still have most of one left.
    Yes, the Elijah Craig 18 is difficult to find. But luckily the 12 year small batch is also very good (my second favorite), since that is what I usually end up with. I have not tried the Eagle Rare 17 or 10, I'll look for it, Thanks for the advice!

I'm happy to see that everyone here agrees that a good cigar and a good liquor need to go hand in hand. It would be a shame to hear of someone smoking a $20 cigar with a bud light. (Or drinking a well aged bourbon and smoking a menthol).

VIP Member
    Yes, the Elijah Craig 18 is difficult to find. But luckily the 12 year small batch is also very good (my second favorite), since that is what I usually end up with. I have not tried the Eagle Rare 17 or 10, I'll look for it, Thanks for the advice!

I'm happy to see that everyone here agrees that a good cigar and a good liquor need to go hand in hand. It would be a shame to hear of someone smoking a $20 cigar with a bud light. (Or drinking a well aged bourbon and smoking a menthol).
    Just a side note. I found a company that sells oak barrels for aging spirits. They come in different sizes so you can age your favorites yourself (if you have the patience).....
    www.1000oaksbarrel.com
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Oddly enough I was watching this week's episode of "The Sopranos" and, the first time I have ever seen it anywhere besides the liquor store or my cabinet, Silvio pours himself and Tony glasses of Eagle Rare 10 year. I just about flipped out, wish I had TiVo. At least they've got good taste. Another great choice is Jefferson's Reserve, a "very small batch" bourbon, aged 12-17 years, that is very smooth and has a nice palate.
    Back on cigars, Baccarat makes a cigar with a sugar-coated tip, it is actually pretty good for the price. I gave a box to my cigar-smoking thermodynamics professor and he thought they were great. I don't smoke with any regularity, but he usually gets the good stuff so if he thinks they are good they probably are.
    -Horace

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    LOL! You guys are making me want to take up smoking just so I can enjoy a cigar. I must admit I always liked the smell of them though. I am almost tempted to try one , but I would be too busy caughing my lungs out to enjoy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    LOL! You guys are making me want to take up smoking just so I can enjoy a cigar. I must admit I always liked the smell of them though. I am almost tempted to try one , but I would be too busy caughing my lungs out to enjoy anything.
    You don't inhale fully cigars and pipes into your lungs, mostly your throat and trachea. I think if you smoke cigarettes you might have a harder time, my friend hates smoking cigars because he always ends up fully inhaling unintentionally.
    -Horace

Man, now I want a cigar.

I haven't had a "good" (I am by no means an afficionado) one since I was 19 probably. A store down in Newport Kentucky used to have a good humidor, and since we couldn't drink, we'd head down and each get a "good" cigar and sit on a porch and smoke em for the night. I was always a fan of either some of the big CAO "Churchills" or the Maker's Mark Cigars.

But then I moved to college and picked up Copenhagen (a habit I have since kicked), and eventually drinking kicked in.

I should call up the guys, now we could enjoy both a nice cigar and a glass of bourbon or scotch. Sounds like it would make a good night on the porch.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links