Cuban Cigars= Yummy

This is a discussion on Cuban Cigars= Yummy within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I was at our monthly men's breakfast meeting yesterday and after we had finished I decided to go into the kitchen and help clean ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cuban Cigars= Yummy

Cuban Cigars= Yummy

So I was at our monthly men's breakfast meeting yesterday and after we had finished I decided to go into the kitchen and help clean up a bit. I saw a man doing dishes so I offered to help him out. As we were scrubbing the pans used to make the eggs we chit-chatted a bit. I introduced myself and asked him what he did for a living. He told me that he was in sales and I asked him "what kind of sales?" He told me "cigars and tobacco" and the he is a "distributor to all the area's tobacco and cigar shops."

Now it's rare these days to find a man who knows anything about cigars (myself included). I decided to ask him one or two rookie questions about cigars and pipe tobacco. He was more than happy to explain and then he said that he would bring me a couple cigars from home to church on Sunday.

I arrived to church this morning to see him sitting with his wife toward the front of the sanctuary. During the greeting intermission he came over to me with a plastic bag and handed me two 1958 Pre-Embargo Cuban Pinar cigars! One word: yummy! I have never smoked a real Cuban and to tell you honestly I don't know whether to smoke them or to put them in a lit humidor case with a glass top in order to stare at their beauty.

Any cigar lovers out there?

JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I wouldn't say that I'm a "lover" oif cigars, but I do like a good one now and then, I had a couple of Cuban cigs while in Bahrain, they were pretty good(under statement). Smoke one, save the other for a special ocasion.

VIP Member
    I'm a cigar lover. I have one humidor that is just for the Cubans. They really are the best, BUT the Dominican & Hondurans are close behind. This is the one with the Cubans in it.....I have Cohibas, Partagas, Punch, Las Floras, Hoyas, Fuentes & my favorites Romeo & Juliettas

(note to ATF: these are not really in the US....)
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I consider myself an aficinado....I smoke one when I can, when I'm home, one or two a week. I don't have access to real cubans, so I stick to the legal stuff....they may be cheap but I love Sancho Panza Valientes, I also like Macanudo Gold Labels, CAO MX2's, Partagas, Hoyo's...and I like a handful of the Drew Estate's Acid and Natural line. Way too many good cigars to list.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

I had some Cubans when my fiance and I took a trip to Cozumel Mexico, Grand Caymans and Jamaica a few months ago... I wish I could have taken those home. I was hoping Castro would die while I was on the ship and the embargo would magically be taken down. lol

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

(note to ATF: these are not really in the US....)
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    I had some Cubans when my fiance and I took a trip to Cozumel Mexico, Grand Caymans and Jamaica a few months ago... I wish I could have taken those home. I was hoping Castro would die while I was on the ship and the embargo would magically be taken down. lol
    Do you know that I just read that America law states that American citizens cannot even smoke a Post Embargo Cuban while in a foriegn country! LAME! I guess Arnold Swartzenwhozy was caught smoking one in Canada. Haha. Arnie you gotta smoke them things in private, mang!
    JJ Honeycutt- GodGunsGlory.com

To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic. - Ted Nugent

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Cubans are good, but I find the Dominicans just as good. Most of them are from Cuban seed anyway, and the growing conditions and soil are similar. I just think the "taboo factor" is what makes them seem to taste a little better. It's kinda like gettting a class 3 weapon.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I had a few post embargo cubans about 30 years ago and wasn't that impressed. However about a year ago my cigar shop had some pre embargo cubans that had just been released from storage. Apparently there had been some legal dispute that kept them out of circulation for all those years. They were excellent. Unfortunately they are gone now. I like jamaicans best, like Partagas and Macunados but generally smoke a Don Tomas which is less expensive.

Oh, my....when I was in Austrailia (while in the Navy) I had a few real cubans and WOW!! It's was great.
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I love cigars and smoke when I can.

I have been to the Dominican 3 times and try to get the hand rolled cigars when I can. It is easy to find cigars there, but the hand rolled ones are a little harder to find.

Often a sales person on the beach will give you a cigar from his pocket and then try to sell you a brick. The ones in his pocket are the nice hand rolled ones. I can only guess about the ones in the brick. Definitely not the same quality.

It is also interesting that the tobacco grown in the DR was originally obtained from the U.S. They obtained it years ago and still use the same tobacco strain today.

I personally like a Fonseca 10-10 or a R&J.

SMOKE THEM NOW!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Administrator

Thumbs up

I am for sure not a cigar aficionado but, I do enjoy a good one every now and again and every 3rd Blue Moon.
    A hammock outdoors...lookin' up skyward...on a beautiful crisp evening with no distractions or interruptions is a great way to enjoy a fine cigar.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Nothing better IMOH
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

My tastes change, but right now, my favorite is a Montecristo White #3, with a double shot (neat) of Elijah Craig 18-year-old Single Barrel Bourbon.

Edit: +1 on the hammock

Go ahead and smoke the Cubans. As Ron White says:

"I'm not supportin' their economy. I'm burnin' their fields!"
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links