Making my pilgrimage....

Making my pilgrimage....

This is a discussion on Making my pilgrimage.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As many of you know, I was a History/Economics teacher for 7 years until I took a job as an Administrative Assistant/ISS coordinator this school ...

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Making my pilgrimage....

As many of you know, I was a History/Economics teacher for 7 years until I took a job as an Administrative Assistant/ISS coordinator this school year.

My wife and I are heading out from Ohio to Gettysburg for a couple of days. I have read and studied all that I could on this battle since I was in high school. I can't wait to see the battlefield. It will be amazing to see where Pickett's men made their gallant charge, the High Water Mark where the Confedrates were stopped just shy of busting the Union line, Little Round Top where Chamberlain held strong until he had run out of ammo and then was forced to order his men to make a desperate bayonet charge, where Bufford's calvary fought dismounted against superior numbers to hold the high ground, General Lee's HQ, Devil's Den, the Wheat Field, etc.

It will be something to look out at that hallowed ground that Lincoln described. To take in the magnatude of three days that decided the fate of a still young America, the lives lost.

It will be something for a southern man and his northern wife to walk, hand in hand around the battlefield, where 140 years ago our families would have staring down the barrels of their muskets at each other, engaged in a mortal struggle.

We also will stop along the way in Shanksville, to see the Flight 93 memorial.

I'm sure that tears will stream from my eyes on this trip.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I envy you. I've wanted to make that trip and have just never made the time for it.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I've been to Gettysburg quite a few times. Even saw a re-enactment once. When there is no one else there, the long open space from the treelines to the fencelines give you a very unique feeling. You'll never forget this trip.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Haven't had the chance to make it to Gettysburg yet, so I'm definitely envious. I know it will be a very moving experience. A number of years ago when I was doing reserve duty in Virginia, I had the chance to visit Fredericksburg, and it was something to look down from Marye's Heights, and had my picture taken by the Stone Wall. Afterward, went to Chancellorsville and saw the marker where Stonewall fell. Later went to the little house where he died. Quite emotional, all the way around.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Assistant Administrator
    Wife and I biked over there two or three years ago and did the battlefields and visitor center - whole thing was an experience I will not forget. There is a ''feeling'' when looking at these areas of immense carnage - the souls live on.

I live not far from Shanksville and have been there a coupla times.

I posted some pics a ways back showing some of the areas round Gettysburg. Much in fact was historic re firearms.

Also a thread with some Shanksville pics
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Enjoy..

It's much more meaningful when you know and care about the history of that hallowed ground.

I've been to Gettysburg a few times and standing on the battle ground is a sobering, touching expierience. All the lives sacrificed yet the chivalry, gallantry, and heroism expressed on both sides is something to be always remembered.

Over140 years have passed, but it's not very long ago......
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Wife and I biked over there two or three years ago and did the battlefields and visitor center - whole thing was an experience I will not forget. There is a ''feeling'' when looking at these areas of immense carnage - the souls live on.
    That they do. I've been to quite a few battlefields, Gettysburg the most often, and live near some now, it's quite a feeling if you have the stomach to imagine what those men/boys went through on those fields. My brother, father, and I are history buffs and we appreciate the historical value of the battlefields and preserved areas around the nation. Don't forget this year is the 400th anniversary of the birth of our nation, started right here in Jamestown, Virginia. We've already had the Queen of England come by, the festivities are picking up this summer.
    http://www.americas400thanniversary.com/
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

VIP Member
    Been there many times, if it is hot carry water.

We had a great time. The weather was perfect. Gettysburg is a great town and I hated to leave.

We did the audio driving tour of the battlefield. We got out and checked out some of the major points of the battle. We first got out where Bufford's calvary made it's stand against the leading detachments of the Army of Virginia. Watching the wind make waves through the tall grass made me forget for a moment that this was the sight of a fierce mortal struggle. I must say that my favorite part was Little Round Top. This is my favorite part of the battle. Although I am a "rebel", the courage shown by the Union forces and particulary the story of Col. Joshua Chamberlain and the 20th Maine leading a bayonet charge down the slope is the stuff of legends. When we made it to the field where Pickett's men made their charge, I was amazed at their bravery. To stare death in the face and continue marching for over a mile in the open, all the while cannons firing cannister shot and the muskets of the entrenched Union forces firing on your lines.........

When we visited Shanksville, I felt sick to my stomach. I felt like I was a the scene of crime. I came away from the Flight 93 memorial more angry than sad. Angry that those brave souls were murdered and angry at the fact that 6 years later, no real memorial has been built. I don't understand all of the politics involved but I don't understand how we can spends billions a month in Iraq, but we can't spend 5 million to make a decent memorial to these brave souls.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Assistant Administrator
    Mixed feelings then Doc . glad you enjoyed the battlefields .. got to be visited to really be able to ''feel'' the atmosphere. Did you get down to ''Devil's Den"? Another place with fascinating stories.

Shamksville is a mixture - on the one hand the site of tragedy and on the other ... still right now a feel of ''two bit'' memorial. The landowner too is having problems - because altho many folks say the ground ''belongs'' to Flight 93 - well it does, but the owner has altogether 270 acres or so I think it is, which while his - sorta isn't! It is causing financial problems.

Pity you had no time to spare as it would have been easy to slip by the P95 dwelling! Glad the trip went well tho.
    Chris - P95

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    When we visited Shanksville, I felt sick to my stomach. I felt like I was a the scene of crime.
    Thats because thats exactly what it is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Mixed feelings then Doc . glad you enjoyed the battlefields .. got to be visited to really be able to ''feel'' the atmosphere. Did you get down to ''Devil's Den"? Another place with fascinating stories.

Shamksville is a mixture - on the one hand the site of tragedy and on the other ... still right now a feel of ''two bit'' memorial. The landowner too is having problems - because altho many folks say the ground ''belongs'' to Flight 93 - well it does, but the owner has altogether 270 acres or so I think it is, which while his - sorta isn't! It is causing financial problems.

Pity you had no time to spare as it would have been easy to slip by the P95 dwelling! Glad the trip went well tho.
    Devil's Den did live up to its reputation.

As far as the memorial, the Fed's should give the man what he is owed plus a little more for his trouble. Then build a great memorial there. I kind of just got the feeling that since this was not NY or DC but rural PA, it wasn't top priority.

Speaking of rural PA, man that is some beautiful country. Rolling down HWY 30 towards Gettysburg, one moment we are on top of a mountain at 3000 feet, then we are in a gentle flat valley with fertile fields. Reminded me a good bit of the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Georgia back home. PA is definately on my Top 15 list as one of the most scenic states I have visited. The folks were very nice and helpful. The next time we are in the area we will have to meet you for coffee.

PS-The carry laws rock!

Assistant Administrator
    The next time we are in the area we will have to meet you for coffee.
    Please do
    PS-The carry laws rock!
    They ain't at all bad!

I feel privelaged to live where I do - mountains I admit are ''small'' compared to many areas but those and rolling ridges make for a pleasure to my eyes. That route 30 is a very fine ride - the drop from high down to Chambersburg ''flats'' going West to East is a very lovely scene ... and last year they re-did that pavement so it's quite good now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A reminder of Devil's Den ..........

Chris - P95

Links