The TRUTH about Fred Thompson

This is a discussion on The TRUTH about Fred Thompson within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Are you REALLY ready to vote Fred Thompson into office? GOA declared, "Ron Paul has been a leader in the fight to defend and restore ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The TRUTH about Fred Thompson

Are you REALLY ready to vote Fred Thompson into office?

GOA declared, "Ron Paul has been a leader in the fight to defend and restore the Second Amendment" and listed the many pro-gun legislative attempts made by Dr. Paul.

Thompson had 19 pro-gun votes in the Senate. That might sound good at first glance until his 14 anti-gun votes are added to the mix. Voting for the Second Amendment a little over half (57.6%) the time means Thompson is a flip-flopper who can't be trusted.

Do not be blinded by the dog and pony show. Vote to PROTECT your right to keep and bear arms.

Source: http://www.gunowners.org/

A lot of people here are saying they are going to vote for him. I hear no comments. I was as stunned as you when I read the facts.

Ron Paul = friend of the firearm owner

The GOA link you've got doesn't actually say anything about Fred Thompson, it's just their front page. Let's see some details. What bills were these votes on? Were they final votes on the bill, or just procedural votes? Were these stand alone gun votes or big omnibus bills that included everything but the kitchen sink?

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post

Ron Paul = friend of the firearm owner
    Unless you are black or Jewish.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1835179/posts

I would rather have a constitutional racist than a globalist flip flopper in the white house.

Preserve the consititution or new world order .. hmmmmmmmm

I think this is the page with the actual information about Fred Thompson's voting record. Take a look at what GOA is calling Thompson's "anti-gun" votes and make sure you read the fine print in the footnotes. Not one of these votes involves actually restricting a law-abiding citizen's ability to own any firearm they choose.

Smells like a smear job to me.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; June 4th, 2007 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I think this is the page with the actual information about Fred Thompson's voting record. Take a look at what GOA is calling Thompson's "anti-gun" votes and make sure you read the fine print in the footnotes. Not one of these votes involves actually restricting a law-abiding citizen's ability to own any firearm they choose.

Smells like a smear job to me.

Yes smear job:

He supported this:

http://www.gunowners.org/klhorror.htm

http://www.gunowners.org/klnewsr.htm

"Smells like a smear job to me."

It is a smear job.

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    That might be racist if you're really trying to find a reason to call him one. I'm Jewish and that doesn't offend me. There are cons to the Zionist movement. We spend a lot of our taxdollars on Israel and other countries. Considering his unwavering opposition to the Federal Government wasting and spending vast sums of money it makes a lot of sense from the Libertarian perspective.

Meanwhile, I don't remember HR. 1096 http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-1096 saying anything about only whites getting their 2nd amendment rights back.
    Last edited by SammyIamToday; June 4th, 2007 at 02:54 PM.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Remember 2nd amendment discussions only not flat out politics they are not allowed here

Word of warning

For those who don't want to wade through the GOA's crap, here are some of the things they're calling evil anti-gun votes:

Votes in favor of campaign finance reform
    Votes in favor of wiretapping all calls by an individual rather than a specific phone line
    A vote to study putting taggants in explosives
    Votes to confirm a federal judge and surgeon general
    Several procedural votes to move bills forward even when he ended up voting against the final bill

It's pretty clear that rather than providing a fair characterization of Thompson's record, they're looking for any excuse to take a whack at him. Quite frankly I should thank azchevy for posting this. Before today, I had a fairly favorable view of the Gun Owners of America, but after seeing a smear job like this I'm sure as hell not going to be supporting them any time soon.

Thanks for showing the clear GOA bias and that they are as willing to obfuscate the facts as our enemies. I had an envelope from them but I do not think I will be returning it...

Sure, Ron Paul is great for the 2A. Everybody needs to come to their senses though and realize he WILL NOT win the Presidency. Thomposn has a better shot and is the only Rep who does that is not a complete RINO.

Is it really hard to believe that a no-compromise advocate of 2A (GOA's own words on themselves) would slam someone that's had questionable votes on some 2A bills.

Sure some of them don't have automatic wording that seem anti-2A, but perhaps you should read the entire bill. Riders and small parts of bills easily go unnoticed.

I'm sorry but supporting things like the "Randy Weaver entrapment provision" of a bill is blatantly un-gun friendly.

It's the same as we only need "reasonable" gun control laws. Perhaps some of you are ready to compromise on the 2A, but I don't really think you should be slamming GoA because they are not.

Although, I'm sure it's disheartening because he's more gun-friendly than the other front runners, but that still doesn't mean he's really gun friendly.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Riders and other last-minute additions to bills are not always made aware to all who are voting on that bill, not a good situation but that is how politics works.
    Why else do you think pro-2A politicians get tricked into voting against it?
    Say there's a bill going up to vote regarding better body armor for the troops, three minutes before the vote it gets a rider on page 60 saying that ammo sales on Sundays are to be prohibited, you'd better hope that everyone (or indeed anyone) reads it in those last minutes... Ok that's an extreme example, but it happens every day, State and Fed.

It's a dirty game, and the best team doesn't always win.

That's a pretty crappy excuse. Sorry guys, but I don't actually read the legislation I vote for and screw you over with. I bet most of you were slamming McCarthy when she didn't know what a barrel shroud was. This is the same thing, yet somehow it's okay in this instance.

From what I can tell, the "Randy Weaver entrapment provision," wasn't a rider.

Meanwhile, one candidate actually reads the bills and consistantly votes Pro-2A. The sad part is he can't win for whatever reason...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links