Too many laws?

Too many laws?

This is a discussion on Too many laws? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Maybe I am writing out of frustration but does anyone else feel there are way too many laws for the “land of the free”? It ...

Thread: Too many laws?

Too many laws?

Maybe I am writing out of frustration but does anyone else feel there are way too many laws for the “land of the free”? It seems there are more and more regulations and laws made that effect normal hardworking people. I empathize for law enforcers for having to put up with the latest greatest PC bull. There are really good descent, morally correct (needed) laws out there….so much of the other stuff seems to dilute what is right and wrong and feed personal agendas.

I just don’t get it. Is it really democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    I just don’t get it. Is it really democracy?
    Technically, the United States is a republic, not a democracy.

Aside from indulging my pedantic streak, we have all these laws because people want more laws. Whenever something bad happens, people say, "there should be a law!" Politicians are only too happy to respond, since passing a law is a lot easier than coming up with a substantial solution to the problem. We aren't burdened with these laws in spite of being a republic, we have all these laws because we are a republic.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Technically, the United States is a republic, not a democracy.

Aside from indulging my pedantic streak, we have all these laws because people want more laws. Whenever something bad happens, people say, "there should be a law!" Politicians are only too happy to respond, since passing a law is a lot easier than coming up with a substantial solution to the problem. We aren't burdened with these laws in spite of being a republic, we have all these laws because we are a republic.
    I must agree...it is easier to make a law to appease the screaming. I am experiencing it first hand right now….no way to enforce something that a lot of people are going to be real unhappy about. Time and energy are going to be focused on something that isn’t a real problem. I guess I am bias about theft, and assault being a problem. Not the latest greatest PC, BS.

Forgot about the republic thing….must be getting brainwashed by the media.

This hasn't been a free country for some time. They just passed an ordinance in my town that there will be no smoking in any public building, privately owned or not. They have gone way overboard in passing stupid laws!

VIP Member
    I think you are fundamentally correct. In fact, recently I saw or read something to the effect that the Federal Government alone has 10,000 offenses which carry jail time.

I'm not sure that there is a solution, unless the judges and prosecutors, and voters insist on reform.

To some considerable extent there is, by design, a tension in our political system between "libertarian" approaches and regulatory approaches. Neither is good unchecked.

And, since our criminals are so darn creative (especially the white collar kind), maybe we do need the bulk of these 10,000 laws.

My own sense is that there are simply too many ways in which perfectly reasonable actions can get you in trouble these days. State gun and knife laws are good examples of stuff where common sense and good intentions don't always keep you out of trouble.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I suspect we need a law , that all new laws must address a real issue . No more seatbelt , smoking , or shooting telemarketers laws .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I am a Federal Inspector, I get people phoning me to complain about a law affecting them, then in the middle of their rant they will insist that the government enact more laws to restrain an activity they don't like, very few realize this is why there are so many laws out there, because people ask for stuff they haven't thought about!

If the US is anything like Canada I suspect that a good 30% of the existing laws are not enfocred or done so only occasonally. People want laws , but don't want to pay for them! Much of the existing laws also conflict with each other and I often find the person trying to do stuff gets caught in a catch 22 situation of breaking one law to meet another. As a Federal employee you have to use some discretion to try to prevent this and understand what the purpose of the law is and not just what it says.

Until recently as the "Receiver of Wreck" I could hire a bunch of thugs to protect a wreck and be protected from proscution if we killed or maimed someone in the process!! Plus I could demand that you give me your horse or suffer a $20 fine!!! Now they have taken away all the fun bits of my job. Dang!

smoke em

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    This hasn't been a free country for some time. They just passed an ordinance in my town that there will be no smoking in any public building, privately owned or not. They have gone way overboard in passing stupid laws!
    The smoking ban is running wild here too. Those that "know better for others" are misconstruing the new laws and making them fit personal agendas.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    The only laws are the ones in the US Constitution...the rest of the crap is some politicians interpretation of the true law.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Everything is evolving, I'm not trying to be an apologist but times change.

There used to be less laws of physics, less laws of nature... then as we understood the natural and scientific world more we discovered more constants and absolutes.

Likewise as more criminals discover more loopholes and more ways to defraud the average person we get laws to protect us from the 'new crimes'.

That's the evolutionary aspect, that probably accounts for one in ten laws passed in the last 100 years.

The rest are a combination of reactionary legislation passed to gain sympathy votes or just plain hysterical mass lunacy driven by a power mad media and/or grass roots groups.

People are people, they all want to leave a legacy. Some of us are content to effect minor change locally, others want to tell everyone what to do all the time.

I don't see any reduction in the amount of laws or their scope any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post
    The only laws are the ones in the US Constitution...the rest of the crap is some politicians interpretation of the true law.
    Amen to that.

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post
    +1....couldn't agree more!

Sponsored Links