another country to watch.

This is a discussion on another country to watch. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They plan to be gun free to make it safer. Ecuador launches police operation against illegal possession of guns The Ecuadorean government on Monday began ...

Thread: another country to watch.

another country to watch.

They plan to be gun free to make it safer.

Ecuador launches police operation against illegal possession of guns

The Ecuadorean government on Monday began a police operation to seize illegally-owned weapons to boost citizens' safety, Ecuador's Interior Minister Gustavo Larrea said.

Authorities will patrol highways, streets, squares and areas where crime is high, Larrea told a domestic televion on Monday.

"Illegally bearing arms is a crime carrying a sentence of up to five years in jail," he said, adding that those with illegal guns should hand the weapons over to the nearest police station.

He also said that illegal munitions factories would be searched, closed and their owners be jailed.

Larrea called on civil society groups to support the fight against crime and help build a peaceful, democratic and secure society.

Larrea's statement came after Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa launched the Ecuador Without Weapons program, following six deaths this year of minors in gun fights in coastal Ecuadorean city, Guayaquil.

Speaking on his Saturday radio show, Correa said "Ecuador is going to be a nation without guns, where our children can walk the streets in peace".

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    "Ecuador is going to be a nation without guns, where our children can walk the streets in peace".
    Tell that to the bad guys - who will treat a five year jail term with total disdain - like all BG's.

seize illegally-owned weapons to boost citizens' safety
    I wonder how they will target illegal guns specifically, which would yes, make honest folks potentially a tad safer. There is no mention made of legal guns so - that presupposes - no guns for anyone?

The wonders of a ''gun free society'' - seems to work well in UK and Aus, to give but two examples
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I guess they figure since it worked so well in England and Australia it would work as well there.

Good luck to them is all I can say. They are going to need it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Ecuador is mimicking the "Disarmament Policy" of Venezuela. And it is no surprise since its President (Rafael Correa) is in the same intellectual & political stream as Hugo Chavez. He cannot be that dumb as to think that it will solve crime, Venezuela top murder rate in the Americas is proof of that, so he has to be doing it for the reason any government wants a tight gun control: Control its population.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Truth is, they don't want some old codger with an Argentine Mauser popping them in the head when they are putting the people to task with one of their long winded Castro style speeches.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    I guess they figure since it worked so well in England and Australia it would work as well there.

Good luck to them is all I can say. They are going to need it.
    Mike, you know that Britain is a far safer place since they banned guns, how can you be so cynical to suggest they need luck?
    They are all just fine, politely drinking tea and eating little cakes...

http://alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/000904.html

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Tell that to the bad guys - who will treat a five year jail term with total disdain - like all BG's.
    It's worse than that; they will treat the five year jail term as a long seminar to receive "bad guy" training from the pros.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

VIP Member
    People control it is. Politicians know this. There are some honest ignorant civilians who will swallow that it is better for everyone, but people running a country know better.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

In a place you've only dreamed of where your soul is always free...
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Larrea's statement came after Ecuadorian President Rafael Correa launched the Ecuador Without Weapons program, following six deaths this year of minors in gun fights in coastal Ecuadorean city, Guayaquil.
    Chicago's got this place beat! Let us know when you have real problems with your gangbangers killing each other.

Authorities will patrol highways, streets, squares and areas where crime is high, Larrea told a domestic televion on Monday.
    What a concept!

The Ecuadorean government on Monday began a police operation to seize illegally-owned weapons to boost citizens' safety, Ecuador's Interior Minister Gustavo Larrea said.
    So, leagally owned and used weapons aren't a problem? I'm confused! I thought that was the root of the problem

Larrea called on civil society groups to support the fight against crime and help build a peaceful, democratic and secure society.
    Criminals in Ecuador must not have lawyers to protect them against the 'vigilante mobs'.
    Law without force is impotent.
    Blaise Pascal

Any of you guys ever been to Ecuador? I went there elven years ago. Probably not much has changed, but Guayaquil is an incredibly densely populated area. Every store that has anything of value has armed guards with submachineguns posted around it. Try going to Burger King with two guys armed to the teeth outside the front door. The people we were staying with told us to keep the windows closed in the car because thieves would cut off fingers and hands to steal watches and rings. The mountains are better, but Guayaquil is on the same list as Atlanta, "Places I'm Never Going to Visit Again".
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Lew
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    "another country to watch...
    "In God we trust; All others we watch."
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Links