The battle for my lawn rages on...

This is a discussion on The battle for my lawn rages on... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last week I've notice enemy trails snaking through my front yard. This really gets me, as I am a sort of a Mr. Anderson (or ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The battle for my lawn rages on...

Administrator

Last week I've notice enemy trails snaking through my front yard. This really gets me, as I am a sort of a Mr. Anderson (or Hank Hill if you dont know who Mr. Anderson is) when it comes to my front lawn. My dogs take care of the back yard, from security to making sure itís well fertilized.
    So I was off to the Home Depot and purchased traps, sprays, poison peanuts and an assortment of doo hickys that promise to kill or run off the enemy. Needless to say I wasted about a hundred bucks
    The enemy still was building new trails, much like Ho Chi Minh. My napalm bombing, booby trapping and the dogs would not stop him.
    This little guy was slick.
    I was out watering my plants in the morning before work, I noticed Ho Chi scurrying around the yard...
    So yesterday morning I went old school and broke out the time honored solution... the Sheridan. It has dispatched more suburban Ho Chi Minhs than anything. I pumped up my old friend and waited on the front porch. I didnít have to wait to long before his head popped up and gave me a perfect shot, to bad I missed. A moving rodents head at 15 yds is a tough shot. So I adjusted my sight a little and waited some more... Then he popped out again from under my front walk... Blam! This time the .20 round nose found its mark.
    Ho Chi was dead, and I was proud of my perfect shot. Just behind the ear was where the pellet did its work.

I destroyed the tunnels I found with the garden hose and shovel; I thought the war was over. This morning I went back out, to check the mail, most of the destroyed tunnels have been repaired.

The battle rages on....
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    South Vietnamese fights back:

My mom excelled at following those doggone moles as they made their tunnels, and SNAP! would shove that trowel right into the dirt and into their heads. Or she would have a rat trap with peanut butter hidden under a 5-gallon bucket right on a tunnel.

Funny, she hasn't had moles in years. Never give up fighting the enemy.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Yeah, those things destroy a good looking lawn pretty quick. Everyone has their own solution as how to take care of them too. Your's will only work for ones that stick up their heads while you are watching and ready.

I suggest pumping the tunnels full of gasoline and then lighting them up, but with the price of gas small decoy animals made of C-4 may work better (sarcasm of course).

Maybe your Crossman tempest slingshot can help ya out. (Ohio doesn't has a CSL license ya know.)
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    I suggest pumping the tunnels full of gasoline and then lighting them up, but with the price of gas small decoy animals made of C-4 may work better (sarcasm of course).

Maybe your Crossman tempest slingshot can help ya out. (Ohio doesn't has a CSL license ya know.)
    LOL, you noticed that pretty quick...

I like your gasoline idea, it does work well. These tunnels go under my front porch and garage, I dont think its such a good idea for me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I see everything.

Well, the best advice I can give ya to kill those moles is don't even try any of the spring loaded traps. My dad hasn't had a confirmed kill of a single mole with several in several years. Plus they make the lawn uglier, and can really screw up a lawn mower blade.

You could try puttin in some type of fumes that are heavier than air, and also toxic to moles down the holes. I think I have seen a kit which uses car exhaust to do that.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As a farmer / rancher and licensed pesticide applicator i have several options that most suburbanites don't . Unfortunately offering to ship you a care package would be both unwise , and illegal . If you have any farm owning kinfolk, or friends you might invite them for a visit after explaining the problem tho LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

My Suggestion

I would suggest placing strongly worded signs around your yard prohibiting critters from entering...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by OrganDonor View Post
    I would suggest placing strongly worded signs around your yard prohibiting critters from entering...
    LOL! Thats a good idea.

One of the odd issues I have with these moles is that the tunnels are not all below the ground, they are more like well worn packed down trails. I would like to gas them out, but I dont think its going to work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ugh...I'm fighting the same battle myself. I think I might be winning, but the scars of war are showing on my lawn. I like the rat trap idea...simple

I have cleared entire fields of groundhogs. A piece of pvc pipe, a rag and the tail pipe of the truck. They just go to sleep. and at the same time you are filling the holes

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by .45forme View Post
    I have cleared entire fields of groundhogs. A piece of pvc pipe, a rag and the tail pipe of the truck. They just go to sleep. and at the same time you are filling the holes
    I got to say this is the best idea yet!

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I got to say this is the best idea yet!

I'm partial to tossing a smoke bomb down the back entrance to the tunnel and waiting at the other end. Nothing quite like playing whack-a-mole.

Assistant Administrator
    whack-a-mole.
    How many avacado's do you use in your recipe?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Napalm (in the morning).

Check local laws before use.

Administrator
    I just wacked another with the Sheridan... would it be tacky to post pictures of the dead? I'm proud that my airgunning skills are still good, and I want proof of my body count so I can get my ace status.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links