HELP! - Freeamericans.com

HELP! - Freeamericans.com

This is a discussion on HELP! - Freeamericans.com within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK guys, I know absolutely NOTHING about running a website. But this domain name is for sale. After reading "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" I feel ...

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar

HELP! - Freeamericans.us

OK guys, I know absolutely NOTHING about running a website. But this domain name is for sale. After reading "Enemies Foreign and Domestic" I feel this website could be used to our advantage. What I am looking for is what it takes me to start up a site, I will gladly pay for the domain name and fumble through it...if somebody is willing to PM me and tell me how to start it up. The objective would be to express to those web surfers out there the God given rights they have. It would be a Constitution based web site addressing ALL issues concerning the bill of rights and not just Second Amendment. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Free American; June 7th, 2007 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Domain changed
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Go ahead and buy the name! There is plenty people here that can help you with the rest later!

Wait... Be sure to ask how much they want for it before going nuts... it looks like a squater owns it
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Go ahead and buy the name! There is plenty people here that can help you with the rest later!
    Agreed!! Go for it!

VIP Member
    FreeAmericans.US is free.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

yep, if you just want to grab it now just get it from any old place that has a reputation... www.godaddy.com comes to mind as I have used them in the past.
    I'm a web developer by trade so feel free to drop me a line with any questions you may have!

Miggy's recommendation "free" is far less painful. How do I register a .us domain?
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

OK guys, I have registered www.Freeamericans.us, now I need all the help in the world to make it work. DefensiveCarry.com gets the biggest banner I can place, this is the site that encouraged me to start a site. Based on that I feel you deserve ALL the traffic I can send. Help me out guys, together I hope we make a difference!

VIP Member

First: A little advice. Do not fall for superduper graphics, animations, movies, pics, etc. Unless you are planning on compating against YouTube, what makes a website is CONTENT. Worry about fireworks and special effects later.

With that said, now you need a webhost which is basically your "physical" territory in some server conected to the Internet. You have the name so I would sit down and start gathering the material you want to use in your site first. Is iot a lot? Not so much? Mostly text and some pics? Graphics intensive? You will get charged by space you use and bandwith. You may want to start with a "small" place but make sure that you can upgrade to more space and bandwith and they are hot gonna rape you on the fees. I am sure people here will give you their favorite webhost and you will have a wide field of comparison.

Software:
    Now we start the Powerpoint v. The Rest of The Software bouts.
    I am skipping this one!
    Randy Cain.

I am happy with ALL text honestly. It is the content and message that matters to me. Sure in the future if it will bring more people into the fold, to get them to hear the message, graphics would be great. But for now, my goal it to start spreading the message.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874 View Post
    I am happy with ALL text honestly. It is the content and message that matters to me.
    If I may suggest, focus on the content, but don't completely ignore delivery. Having a professional-looking site (as opposed to a plain html c.1998 site) can go a long way in promoting the credibility of your message. You can drop the sparkler .gifs and cheesy "under construction" pictures, but for the kind of content that you want to put up, the site should have an intuitive and good-looking interface.

It's been a while since I've written any webpages, but IIRC, there are some free (or cheap) php interfaces floating around that you can populate with content and end up with a good-looking easy-to-use site.

You might try here -> http://www.dreamingwell.com

I know the owner personally, and he's a straight-up guy and a talented programmer who's built lots of good interfaces from scratch.

drop incredipete a line...for hosting.
    he will provide members here hosting for one year with a domain registration for $9

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=26352

can't beat that deal. I'm going to be using him myself for a website that I'm working on.

DC Founder
    I agree that incredipete would be a good choice. Drop me an email through the "Contact Us" link and let me know specifically what you're wanting to put up. I am currently working on some additional web projects and have researched available scripts for posting content. Although scripts are initially a little more trouble to install they will make your life easier delivering content with little need for html coding knowledge.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

You may also want to look at some of the various blogging packages out there (Wordpress, Movable Type, Drupal, etc.) as a quick, easy, way of delivering the content without having to know too much of the 'under the hood' stuff

Bumper, DEFINATELY appreciate the offer. Looking to create an expansion of all the Pro-2A websites out there. We truly fight for our rights, but why do we limit them to one part of the Constitution (I realize that it is the most attacked portion) current legislation is attempting to erode the FIrst and Fourth as well. My goal is to REEDUCATE the masses on their rights. If we include the rest of the Amendments, ours does not appear to be as "radical".

Links