CNN story about ex-cop executed for murder (story contains errors)

This is a discussion on CNN story about ex-cop executed for murder (story contains errors) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ex-cop executed for murder Story Highlights• Former cop Michael Griffith executed Wednesday • He is one of the few lawmen sent to death row • ...

Thread: CNN story about ex-cop executed for murder (story contains errors)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

CNN story about ex-cop executed for murder (story contains errors)

Ex-cop executed for murder

Story Highlights• Former cop Michael Griffith executed Wednesday
    • He is one of the few lawmen sent to death row
    • Griffith convicted of robbery, rape and murder of Houston flower shop worker
    • He asked for six long-stem red roses and pulled out a gun

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) -- A former sheriff's deputy was executed Wednesday for the robbery, rape and fatal stabbing of a Houston woman at her family's flower shop.

-----

Okay, I understand that further into the story they talk about his being suspected of shooting blah blah blah. But for the murder for which he was convicted and executed, the bullet at top says he "pulled out a gun."

And then the lead paragraph says that he stabbed her.

... with the gun?

It just seems to be yet another case of CNN desperately wanting to associate murder with GUNS, even when the murder was committed with a KNIFE.

Later in the article, it says,
    "Griffith also was convicted of two violent robberies the same month as the McCormick slaying. In one, evidence showed he shot a woman in the head during the robbery of a savings and loan office. In the other, he robbed and sexually assaulted a woman at a bridal salon.

Griffith was arrested after the robbery and attack at the bridal shop. Police found him with credit cards belonging to McCormick's mother that were taken in the flower shop robbery. They also found a knife and a receipt for roses he'd purchased that day from the store. A medical examiner and DNA evidence identified the knife as the murder weapon.
    Apart from all of that, once again this shows the fallacy of the belief that "only the military and law enforcement should have access to guns." I say this not to be anti-cop, but to be anti-anti-gun. We use these cases to demonstrate that putting guns strictly in the hands of law enforcement only does not protect the public from murder being perpetrated.

2. Remove Ads

Much as I hate to be in the position of defending CNN, I don't think we've got enough information to say that this is an error. He could well have used the gun to initially threaten the flower shop clerk, then stabbed her once she was in a more vulnerable position.

Actually he was fired by the Harris County Sheriffs office about two years before his crime spree. Violation of domestic violence policy.

Here is one of the stories from the Houston Chronicle on him.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/4858627.html
    Last edited by mcp1810; June 7th, 2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Added local news link

I doubt that

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Much as I hate to be in the position of defending CNN, I don't think we've got enough information to say that this is an error. He could well have used the gun to initially threaten the flower shop clerk, then stabbed her once she was in a more vulnerable position.
    So, he got rid of the gun before the cops caught him, but he kept the murder weapon? I doubt that.

Quote Originally Posted by res1b3uq View Post
    So, he got rid of the gun before the cops caught him, but he kept the murder weapon? I doubt that.
    I don't see what you're saying here. The story doesn't say he got rid of the gun.

The story also doesn't mention whether he was found with a gun, and if so, why he used the knife when he had a gun.

"... he shot a woman ... during the robbery of a savings and loan office.
    Clearly, the weapon was a firearm.

In the other, he robbed and sexually assaulted a woman at a bridal salon. A medical examiner and DNA evidence identified the knife as the murder weapon.
    This is a second crime, with a knife clearly as the weapon used in this crime, not the earlier, unrelated one.

Agreed: the reporting's a bit cloudy. But, I don't see the same gross errors or attempt to suggest a bullet hole was caused by a knife. I see two separate crimes reported in the same story, attempting to refer to both in the same paragraph (which causes the confusion).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Look at the bullet-points atop the story.
    They make clear that he was convicted of the rape, robbery and murder of the flower shop girl; that he pulled a gun; but that she was murdered with a knife.

WHAT happened to the GUN in that story? This is differentiated from the earlier crimes he is only suspected of murder with a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    WHAT happened to the GUN in that story? This is differentiated from the earlier crimes he is only suspected of murder with a gun.
    I'm still not seeing the "error" here. He had a gun, but killed her with a knife. So what?

"Griffith was arrested after the robbery and attack at the bridal shop. Police found him with credit cards belonging to McCormick's mother that were taken in the flower shop robbery. They also found a knife and a receipt for roses he'd purchased that day from the store. A medical examiner and DNA evidence identified the knife as the murder weapon."

"The U.S. Supreme Court in January refused to review the case and Griffith's lawyer filed no additional appeals to try to block the execution."

""The evidence against him was overwhelming," said David Cunningham, one of his trial lawyers. "When you focus on the circumstances of his arrest -- they find him with the credit cards, the knife with her DNA on it, they had him on at least two other crimes -- there really wasn't much.""

Looks like he got just what he deserved. The gene pool is cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    I'm still not seeing the "error" here. He had a gun, but killed her with a knife. So what?
    Well, maybe "error" is not quite the right word. It's bad reporting (so in essence, is an "error").

The bullet points are supposed to summarize the story, hitting the main points involved.

They say that he asked for roses and pulled a gun.
    You would think that, if he stabbed her to death as opposed to shooting her, that would be one of the bullets points. Not just the fact that he pulled a gun, but nothing further. I mean, then you read in the article that she was stabbed to death, and you think, "Okay, um, any explanation to offer why he pulled a gun but then rather than shoot her, he stabbed her?" The story mentions the knife that was recovered and found to be the murder weapon. Why no mention of whether the gun was recovered?

Crappy reporting. But these days, you don't find much good reporting. The people who write the news these days are about as good as retarded 7th graders.

Links