Flag disrespect by child, mother arrested.

This is a discussion on Flag disrespect by child, mother arrested. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We should see this more often. Boy Stomps Flag At Funeral, Mom Arrested Pair Are Part Of Anti-Gay Church That Protests Funerals POSTED: 1:44 pm ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flag disrespect by child, mother arrested.

Flag disrespect by child, mother arrested.

We should see this more often.

Boy Stomps Flag At Funeral, Mom Arrested
    Pair Are Part Of Anti-Gay Church That Protests Funerals

POSTED: 1:44 pm EDT June 6, 2007

OMAHA, Neb. -- A woman was arrested in Bellevue, Neb., on Tuesday during the funeral for a fallen soldier.

Shirley Phelps-Roper was arrested on suspicion of contributing to the delinquency of a minor for allegedly allowing her 8-year-old son to stomp on an American flag.

Phelps-Roper is a member of a Topeka, Kan., church that conducts anti-homosexual picketing at funeral services for U.S. soldiers.

Hundreds of people packed Bellevue streets Tuesday morning to pay tribute to a firefighter and soldier. Spc. Bill Bailey was serving in the National Guard in Iraq when he was killed by a roadside bomb.

Police said the group to which Phelps-Roper belongs had a permit to protest 300 feet from Bailey's funeral.

Bellevue Officer Joe Gray, who made the arrest, said that at first the group brought out a couple of members' own American flags.

"The arrestee, Ms. Phelps-Roper, put one around her waist. The second one was given to a 10-year-old, who put it on the ground and started kicking it in the area they were protesting," Gray said.

Nebraska law states that it is a Class 3 misdemeanor when a person "intentionally casts contempt or ridicule upon a flag by mutilating, defacing, defiling, burning or trampling upon such flag." The law was passed in 1977.

"It appears the adults weren't stepping on the flag because they knew it was a violation of the law. But they allowed the children to go ahead and do that," Gray said.

Phelps-Roper said she believes she has the right to use the flag as a symbol, and said Nebraska's law is outdated.

"We're going to challenge that statute," she said. "That statue should have been repealed."

Gray said the arrest wasn't personal and has nothing to do with his beliefs. He said he's simply doing his job.

"It's state law, so we were enforcing the laws of Nebraska," the officer said.

Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov said the words from the group are fighting words, which are not protected speech.

2. Remove Ads

disgusting.

throw the book at the lot of them.

I've been warned once about my language, so I'm gonna keep quiet on this one.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

JD
    Administrator
    Phelps-Roper is a member of a Topeka, Kan., church that conducts anti-homosexual picketing at funeral services for U.S. soldiers.

How does this make sense.

I think she should be deported to Iraq for a year with no US aide.

VIP Member
    I know the wackos have been doing these 'protests' at military funerals.........What is their reasoning for attacking the men & women in uniform?

I don't get the leap from being anti-gay to attacking the honored dead!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by jdlv4_0 View Post
    How does this make sense.
    It is the Westboro Baptist Church.

They believe, amongst other things, that their god dislikes homosexuals and that America is pro-homosexuality, thus the US troops who protect America are... (trumpet fanfare)... anti-god.

Wow.

Too much kool aid!!

They protest the funerals of servicemen, mainly for publicity...

I think they are all related, it's all a bit sick.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    It is the Westboro Baptist Church.

They believe, amongst other things, that their god dislikes homosexuals and that America is pro-homosexuality, thus the US troops who protect America are... (trumpet fanfare)... anti-god.

Wow.

Too much kool aid!!

They protest the funerals of servicemen, mainly for publicity...

I think they are all related, it's all a bit sick.
    Attached Images

Assistant Administrator
    These people are off-center bigots with little but hatred in their hearts.

I would have a ''remedy'' for the 8 year old but these days even that'd be frowned on - the Mom too - probably incites hatred in her spawn too.

Disgusting beyond polite decription
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

There has been a very effective counter protest in the past year to Fred Phelps and his 'church'. A group of bikers (Vets if I am not mistaken) have taken to standing silently like a wall between the protesters and the mourners, blocking view of the protesters for the soldier's family.

That is how you might deal with scum, deny them their desired effect.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    There has been a very effective counter protest in the past year to Fred Phelps and his 'church'. A group of bikers (Vets if I am not mistaken) have taken to standing silently like a wall between the protesters and the mourners, blocking view of the protesters for the soldier's family.

That is how you might deal with scum, deny them their desired effect.

They're the Patriot Guard Riders.

http://www.patriotguard.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post

Thank you, I will never forget the good feeling I got when I first heard about them.

They show a very strong reserve in not engaging the WBC idiots.

EDIT TO ADD: Great website, they have a lot more members than I imagined. Great stuff.

This Westboro group sickens me even more than the bradys, if thats possible.

Once again, why don't the Military folk who lay it all on the line to protect freedoms get to vote on who gets to stay here?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I also don't like the idea of someone using the flag as a symbol of his/her anger about a problem. But, ask yourself about a government's tolerance for the core, underlying concept of liberty. Think about just what that means.

A relatively recent film said it best. From "The American President," in which the President (played by Michael Douglas) replies to questions about freedom in a press conference:
    "Everybody knows American isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've got to want it bad, because it's going to put up a fight. It's going to say, 'You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating, at the top of his lungs, that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then, the symbol of your country can't just be a flag; the symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest.' Show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free."
    In a country where assembly, speech and protest are cherished liberties, what happens to those liberties if, one by one, they're chipped away and each criminalized in turn ... just on the fringes, to start, but all-encompassing criminalization as the end-game? At some point, governmental slippery slopes being what they are, in the USA, there will be no such liberty. It's happening.

Stomping on a flag is merely a uniquely visceral example of the problem of intolerance by a government. Take that to the logical extreme, and you get the traditional totalitarian dictator's approach: disappearing. The leap across that chasm isn't as wide as some think, should intolerance reach beyond the real, beyond the symbolic. At that point, kiss all freedoms goodbye.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    And they call themselves Christians.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links