STS-117 Launch pics and an exercise in self-control.

This is a discussion on STS-117 Launch pics and an exercise in self-control. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My brother and I went to see the space shuttle launch this evening from the Indian River Causeway and got a pretty good view from ...

Thread: STS-117 Launch pics and an exercise in self-control.

STS-117 Launch pics and an exercise in self-control.

My brother and I went to see the space shuttle launch this evening from the Indian River Causeway and got a pretty good view from the side of 528. There was a car load of drunk people tailgaiting about ten meters from us and I waved and greeted them as I set up my tripod. As I folded up my tripod and we were leaving, one of them I guess was trying to pick a fight with us because I was wearing a pink polo and started cursing at us (abbreviated here), "#*$!&#$*! Come over and steal our @%#$ spot, don't even say 'thank you'! %#$@&%$"

I said, "I'm sorry, we weren't blocking your view and this is public property, but thank you," and we left. My brother wanted go back and cold cock the sot, but we just walked away, practicing what Jesus taught us. A good object lesson in humility given
    preachertim's earlier thread today.

The sound took a while to reach us and it was pretty intense for the distance we were from the pad. It was exhilarating actually feeling the sound, kind of like a motor race, but from about 20 miles away. My dad says he's always wanted to watch a launch since 1966 but has never been here at the right time, every time there is a launch and he is in the area the launch gets canceled. Better luck next time, eh?

Anyway the pics. I've got over 200 rapid sequential shots using the infinite burst mode on my digital camera, a good one of it clearing the tower, and a great one of booster separation. I didn't even know exactly where the pad was but had my frame aligned just right for the lift-off.

Booster Separation:

Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I cannot imagine the sensations of watching, hearing and feeling a launch up close. I have seen 2 launches all the way down here: once early in the morning and another one around 9 pm. Both times there were no clouds but still amazing I could see the plume.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

DC Founder
    Yeah, I would love to see it take off. I heard one of the stronauts say onetime that takeoff was like driving a '57 Chevy down a railroad track at over a hundred miles an hour. For some reason I doubt that description is even close. What a hoot!....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Lead Moderator
    It's to bad you couldn't get a pass for the causeway that runs between the NASA and the Air Force side of the Cape. That is where you get the full effect of the launch "feeling".

Years ago they actually had places closer to the launch complex, then after Challenger we figured out the potential "frag zone", and they got moved them back.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    Great - I am like many - envious!

It is a truly impressive sight for sure ........ and all I can think as that heavy load goes up - is the TONS of fuel burning up every second!! May they have a safe and successful mission and return home without incident.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I got to go watch one launch in the early 90's and went to see 2 landing out at Edwards in the late 80's.....88 or 89 I think when I was stationed in San Diego. The landings we very cool to see. The shuttle goes over at mach 2 and there is a double sonic boom. Watching that thing land is amazing, it is moving pretty darn fast.

But the launch was really fantastic. Loud is a big understatement. You can feel it in your stomach like being at a parade when the big base drum goes by. A little un-nerving actually.

Can't wait to see whatever they come up with to replace the shuttle fly in 2012. Should be a hoot.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig P239 View Post
    Can't wait to see whatever they come up with to replace the shuttle fly in 2012. Should be a hoot.
    I think you can see drawings now at the NASA site. I'll have to see if I can find the exact site. I think you'll be a little disappointed if you're expecting something spectacular, it kind of looks like a throw back to the Apollo system. (Goddard is doing some of the work, but I'm not personally involved.)

Try this: http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/co...ain/index.html
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I could drive there in less than 3 hours...I gotta' do that...
    Had too many clouds to see it from here this last time.
    Nice pic's...I can't imagine what it would feel like, I'm told one can feel the ground shake...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the compliments, guys. It was hazy out, more than I realized, and even though my camera had 48x zoom (12x optical, 4x digital), the pictures came out a little washed. That's one more checkmark on the list of "Things to do before I die".:)
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Links