Jesse Stone...

This is a discussion on Jesse Stone... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 2 new DVD's are about to hit the video stores on Tuesday June 12th - Jesse Stone: Night Passage and Jesse Stone: Death In Paradise. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jesse Stone...

Jesse Stone...

2 new DVD's are about to hit the video stores on Tuesday June 12th - Jesse Stone: Night Passage and Jesse Stone: Death In Paradise. If you have never seen any of the Jesse Stone movies (4 in all-so far) it is quality entertainment! Jesse Stone is a character created by author Robert B. Parker and he is brought to life on the small screen by our beloved fellow gun lover - Tom Selleck. Selleck really plays the role and IMO, his best role ever, as Jesse - a former LAPD Homicide detective, newly divorced from his beloved Jenn and fired from the force for being drunk on the job. He accepts a job at Paradise, Mass (as far away from LA, and Jenn, as he can get) as the new Police Chief. Little does he know the corruption in this sleepy little New England town. Armed with only his 1911, his cunning and a handfull of "Mayberry" type of officers he takes on the town - the ENTIRE town - including it's "Selectmen" and the town's own malitia.

If you get a chance, pick up Night Passage and Death In Paradise. While you're at it, pick up Stone Cold. It's been out for a year or so and it actually was the "first" Jesse Stone movie. Night Passage is a "prequel" to Stone Cold and Death In Paradise is the sequel. But in the Parker novels, Death In Paradise comes BEFORE Stone Cold.

Check 'em out!

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Love the books, I prefer the "Spenser" novels also by Robert Parker.

I've only seen Stone Cold, are the two new movies coming out in a set or individually?

Individually. Be sure and watch Night Passage first, or you'll be kinda lost.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Individually. Be sure and watch Night Passage first, or you'll be kinda lost.
    I'm pretty sure I've read them all ready, so as long as the movie doesn't butcher the book too bad I should be ok, but thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've read them all ready, so as long as the movie doesn't butcher the book too bad I should be ok, but thanks for the heads up.
    Night Passage is pretty close to the book. Death In Paradise actually kinda combines Death In Paradise and Trouble In Paradise. But it's got a doozie of an ending!

JD
    Administrator
    If you like Robert Parker, and you like Westerns, he has a few Old West related books, one is "Appaloosa" and the other is "Gunman's Rhaposty"

G&R is pretty good, it's about Tombstone and Wyatt Earp.

But I liked Appaloosa better.

Yeah, I read GR but not Appaloosa. My very favorite book of Parker's is probably All Our Yesterdays...have you read it?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock 'em down View Post
    Yeah, I read GR but not Appaloosa. My very favorite book of Parker's is probably All Our Yesterdays...have you read it?
    Not yet, the last I read from Him was "Sea Change"

What is All Our Yesterdays about?

It's about three generations of crooked cops in Boston - a father, son and grandson. The way the story unfolds and all the events connect themselves to each other is AWESOME! Truly some of Parker's best work!

His Sunny Randall books are good too! Think of Sunny as a female Spenser!

I just watched Stone Cold on DVD the other night. So much better with out commercials. Good to hear the other ones are out, thanks.

JD
    Administrator
    I haven't read any of the Sunny Randall books yet, but I'm going to have to start, I'm running out of Spenser novels...

I've read all of Parker's books, many several times. Spenser is my favorite and one of the all-time great characters in the genre.

I was very disappointed in the the movie of "Sea Change". I think they've lost sight of the original character of Jesse Stone in their quest to make him a dark, brooding and depressed alcoholic. The character from the books is neither so one-dimensional nor so humorless.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    I've read all of Parker's books, many several times. Spenser is my favorite and one of the all-time great characters in the genre.

I was very disappointed in the the movie of "Sea Change". I think they've lost sight of the original character of Jesse Stone in their quest to make him a dark, brooding and depressed alcoholic. The character from the books is neither so one-dimensional nor so humorless.
    Yeah, I was disappointed in Sea Change as well. It actually had NOTHING in common with the book. If you took the scenes that DID play out with the book - they would last about 10 minutes! The book itself was an awesome read - as usual, but the movie? I was let down.

I got the new Sunny Randall novel "Spare Change" today. She grows on you...kinda like a FEMALE Spenser - I like her!

I just wish they'd make a major Spenser movie...

They could use Bruce Willis as Spenser and Samuel L. Jackson as Hawk (remember him as Shaft?).

I"m thinking "A Catskill Eagle"...

Who to play Susan?

I really Like Tom Selleck as Stone. He plays the character well... and a Chief in Massachusetts who carries a 1911? Get outta here!!!
    Frank Borelli
    My books on Kindle
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"
    I think, therefore I am armed.

"A Catskill Eagle" is one of my favorites. How about Sela Ward for Susan?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links