This article makes me mad

This is a discussion on This article makes me mad within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gun fires, wounding Wasilla girl SHOT IN NECK: Two children were alone in camper near Summit Lake. By MEGAN HOLLAND Anchorage Daily News Published: June ...

Thread: This article makes me mad

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Gun fires, wounding Wasilla girl

SHOT IN NECK: Two children were alone in camper near Summit Lake.

By MEGAN HOLLAND
    Anchorage Daily News

Published: June 9, 2007
    Last Modified: June 9, 2007 at 01:30 AM

A 9-year-old Wasilla girl is recovering from a gunshot wound to her neck after a handgun that her 10-year-old brother was handling went off, Alaska State Troopers said.

The girl was at the Alaska Native Medical Center in serious condition Friday.

Troopers say she and her brother were alone in the family's camper near Mile 191 of the Richardson Highway, near Summit Lake, when he pulled a gun off a shelf, loaded it and put it down on a couch. The youngster intended to take it outside as protection against bears when they went out to play. Somehow, though, it went off.

The boy's father works for an Alyeska Pipeline Service Co. excavating contractor, according to Alyeska spokesman Mike Heatwole. The father and his family were planning to stay at the campsite for most of the summer while he worked nearby on the pipeline.

On Wednesday, the children's mother left the kids in the care of another camper who was also parked at the pullout while she went to run errands, said trooper Sgt. Tim Tuckwood. The children were alone at the time of the accident. It is unclear where the person caring for the kids was at the time of the shooting.

The girl was sitting on a couch and her brother sat down on the opposite end, placing the .22-caliber handgun on the couch when it fired, troopers said. It wasn't immediately clear what made the gun fire.

The girl remained conscious until medics and a helicopter arrived. She was first taken to Gulkana, then to the Anchorage hospital.

The children's mother declined to comment when reached at the hospital Friday.

In November, a 5-year-old Kasilof boy died after a sibling pulled the trigger on a .30-30 rifle. Troopers at the time would not say which of the boy's three siblings, all under 7 years old, fired the gun. The child climbed to a high shelf in the family's home to retrieve it and shot the 5-year-old in the stomach.

They made it sound like the gun went off by itself while the boy was simply handling it. They're not clear on how the gun went off either. Even in Alaska, the media doesn't know much about firearms.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

The gun went off...because of a finger on the trigger...

Very sad though...hope she makes it...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The gun went off because the firearm nor it's ammo were properly stored within an environment known, by their parents, to contain children. Fault lies 100% with the parents who very much should know better.

Also leaving children in the care of strangers because they seem friendly...as a parent of a 4 yr. old and 11 mo. old I just do not understand that practice which seemingly is common.
    as based on results the person the mom left her children with and deemed a responsible person was not so in actuality, which again all fingers point to the parents. Incidents such as this with children being hurt by firearms almost always are due to improper storage of the firearm _and_ ammunition by the parent/owner.

As well a .22 pistol is not protection against bear in any way shape or form. They would be better off throwing rocks.

More fodder and another statistical instance added to the Sarah Brady anti gun campaign. :(
    Articles and instances like this should make us all mad, especially pro gun folk, as this was completely avoidable with a simple and free gun lock along with a little dose of parental common sense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The gun went off because the firearm nor it's ammo were properly stored within an environment known, by their parents, to contain children. Fault lies 100% with the parents who very much should know better.

Also leaving children in the care of strangers because they seem friendly...as a parent of a 4 yr. old and 11 mo. old I just do not understand that practice which seemingly is common.
    as based on results the person the mom left her children with and deemed a responsible person was not so in actuality, which again all fingers point to the parents. Incidents such as this with children being hurt by firearms almost always are due to improper storage of the firearm _and_ ammunition by the parent/owner.
    - Janq

Yup. That and not training them. I try to beat proper gun handling into my kids. They also learn not to touch them when I'm not around. Then, I lock everything up. For the most part I think my kids would be ok, but the are kids(10 and 13). They also have friends that come over.

I think it's negligent these days to only train your kids but not lock your stuff up. Friends come over and the pressure to be cool is a powerful force.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Yup. That and not training them. I try to beat proper gun handling into my kids. They also learn not to touch them when I'm not around. Then, I lock everything up. For the most part I think my kids would be ok, but the are kids(10 and 13). They also have friends that come over.

I think it's negligent these days to only train your kids but not lock your stuff up. Friends come over and the pressure to be cool is a powerful force.
    Bingo. Storage + Training is the way to go. Hope the little girl recovers.

Assistant Administrator
    Somehow, though, it went off.
    What a vague statement!! Barring the most unlikely event of a mechanical malfunction is was a negligent discharge .... from a kid insufficiently trained in firearms handling, who was also able to gain access. Such a (sadly) typical situation.

If kids learned one thing or, remembered one thing, only - it should be rule #2 .... as I boringly spout so often that IMO is the final life/injury saver. These episodes are SO avoidable.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links