why I was the only one on the beach...

This is a discussion on why I was the only one on the beach... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've since discovered in my wise "old"(not really) age why I was the only person body-surfing at the beach last saturday (June 2nd) on Oak ...

Thread: why I was the only one on the beach...

I've since discovered in my wise "old"(not really) age why I was the only person body-surfing at the beach last saturday (June 2nd) on Oak Island, NC(near the southern border - think Wilmington area). Apparently not everyone is too quick to take on the waves from an incoming Tropical storm, nor do they want the back pain that follows for the next week . All in all, it really was fun though!
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

It would seem to me the best time to do it! Of course, I refuse to swim anywhere there are things that can eat me.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

If you could see the beach from an aerial view...the number of sharks would keep you from swimming...

I don't enjoy swimming in shark infested waters...

OMO...you might be a brave guy...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I've since discovered in my wise "old"(not really) age why I was the only person body-surfing ...
    I grew up bodysurfing at the Wedge, in Newport Beach, California. Spent a number of summers honing the skills on waves up to ~20-25ft or so (on rare occasions), like the first and third pics shown below.

Of course, when those puppies would pitch over and catch you, there was hell to pay. Let's just say that "getting Maytagged" was a term that simply had to have been coined by someone caught in the maelstrom of a Newport Wedgie.

A number of times, I went home minus a set of fins. I lost track of the times the "farmer john" wetsuit was ripped off my torso and wrapped around my legs. Spent a few mornings playing with the dolphins, as they came into the surf to show us how it's really done. That was always a treat.

The best waves were, of course, the ones that came from a hurricane stuck off the Central American coast for a week. If it sat and hummed along at a brisk 10mph, for a week, we'd be assured of stellar waves about 4 days later.

Ahhhh ... those were the days.
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Take it from a Tennessee boy ... you guys are NUTS!
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3 View Post
    Take it from a Tennessee boy ... you guys are NUTS!
    Jack
    Ditto from another Tennessee fellow.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I've since discovered in my wise "old"(not really) age why I was the only person body-surfing at the beach last saturday (June 2nd) on Oak Island, NC(near the southern border - think Wilmington area). Apparently not everyone is too quick to take on the waves from an incoming Tropical storm, nor do they want the back pain that follows for the next week . All in all, it really was fun though!
    The real question is, what calibre and brand JHP is best for knockdown power though sharkskin? Sandbridge has really good waves before/during tropical storms, I never really liked NC/SC beaches because they're always really windy.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

I have an agreement with sharks; they don't come to my house and eat me, I don't get in the ocean and irritate them...
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Well, 30 some odd years of making my living on the ocean tells me why I have only went in the ocean a couple of times. --lol --Everything out there either cuts you, burns you, stings you, or eats you. I'll soak up some sun and check out the bikinis. But I know a lot of people that love to surf. Then again they think I'm nuts when I tell them about growing up and running around fishing and hunting on the bayou like we used to do.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you could see the beach from an aerial view...the number of sharks would keep you from swimming...

I don't enjoy swimming in shark infested waters...

OMO...you might be a brave guy...

ret
    Quick story:
    My brother and I went to a local beach to ride our surf kayaks on the waves. Got to the beach and the red flag was up, chalkboard saying, "No swimming: sharks present." We chuckled to each other, "Well, we're not going to be swimming..." and proceeded to kayak.

Upon packing up to leave, tying the boats to the car roof, we saw a news helicopter hovering over the edge of the beach at the waterline. Hmmm, wonder what's up?

Got home and put on the 6 o'clock news. Saw what the helicopter had been looking at. HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS, of sharks in the shallow water right along the beachline. Looked like a puddle squirming with mosquito larvae! *shudder!* And they were our companions, probably right adjacent to us as we rode the waves!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Quick story:
    My brother and I went to a local beach to ride our surf kayaks on the waves. Got to the beach and the red flag was up, chalkboard saying, "No swimming: sharks present." We chuckled to each other, "Well, we're not going to be swimming..." and proceeded to kayak.

Upon packing up to leave, tying the boats to the car roof, we saw a news helicopter hovering over the edge of the beach at the waterline. Hmmm, wonder what's up?

Got home and put on the 6 o'clock news. Saw what the helicopter had been looking at. HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS, of sharks in the shallow water right along the beachline. Looked like a puddle squirming with mosquito larvae! *shudder!* And they were our companions, probably right adjacent to us as we rode the waves!
    Lol - it got like that when I was living in pensacola, FL a few years back.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Links