Maybe this is the wrong site for CCW

This is a discussion on Maybe this is the wrong site for CCW within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Jezzzzzzz, canít anyone have a little fun while carrying a gun. Everyone talks about there are to many laws and rules and then turn right ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe this is the wrong site for CCW

Jezzzzzzz, canít anyone have a little fun while carrying a gun. Everyone talks about there are to many laws and rules and then turn right around and pop off more rules about carrying (The old IMHO). If you donít want to show your weapon or have a person you are with show you he/she has one, great, thatís up to you. Donít come down on me about what YOU think the rules should be. Reading on this web site over the months I have noticed more rules posted about the way we CCWís should act. Lighten up! Reading some I get the feeling that there are way too many people full of self-importance. The ďI know allĒ mentality. I have a CCW (total of 15 years) to protect myself, wife, kids and any other person I feel is being threatened (I can do that here in FL). I understand the need for safety and all. However, if you go around being sneaky, you tend to scare people and scare them away from a weapon, which in turns adds fuel to the antiís. stand. The more people see and understand us CCWís and see we are not a bunch of nuts with guns, that carrying is a good thing, maybe more people will start to legally CCW too. Or maybe the ďMall Ninja, Urban CommandoĒ mentality is what most posters are in too and donít need to carry a weapon in the first place. I am sure I will get a lot of flack on this, but, I just want to carry my weapon when I want and if someone I know ask, I shall talk about it. With any luck I can get them to CCW too and maybe save their life if the need arises.

VIP Member
    I am sure I will get a lot of flack on this
    Nah, we usually ignore trolls.

PS: I don't carry for fun. I carry for self defense. If you carry for fun, maybe you should revise your standards for carrying a concealed weapon.
    The image you project after that statement is the equivalent of the drunk happy movie cowboy unloading some rounds in the Saloon after a long round-up.
    Now that is the image we don't want the Antis to see.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

No, that’s where you are wrong Troll. Sounds like you may be on of the "Self Important" ones that feel he is assigned to be the all mighty on weapons. Comprehend writing, I didn’t say or imply “drunk happy movie cowboy unloading some rounds in the Saloon after a long round-up”. Next time you read, learn to comprehend and understand context.

TC_FLA, not to flame you but to have fun with a gun
    IMHO is a good range day.

We all come here to learn about (Responsible CCW)
    not rules be darned.

If something upsets you in a post, take it with a grain of salt.
    Life is to short to be mad all of the time.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by TC_FLA View Post
    I just want to carry my weapon when I want and if someone I know ask, I shall talk about it. With any luck I can get them to CCW too .............
    Not too different from many here, eh?

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Ron8903, not upset with anyone. Just read this everyday and start to see a pattern. I am way past getting upset with people anymore. I have a lot more to do than get upset with post here. I was just posting a thought on what I see. Nothing more.

Assistant Administrator
    OK - we are going downhill already.

Carry and gun ownership is about opinions ..... and that covers quite a wide spread too. There is no reason for folks not to have fun but the key word is ''responsible'' - with safety in mind.

Those who choose discretion when keeping quiet about carry do it because - it is their choice ... simple. We do not have to be adversarial to discuss the many facets of gun ownership and carry.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Donít come down on me about what YOU think the rules should be.
    This is a discussion forum, where dialog is the whole point. Not everyone knows the end-all, be-all method for anyone. Can't, as most here don't know each other. Every situation's different, as are everyone's circumstances. What we can do, and what this forum in general excels at, IMO, is bringing people together in a civil fashion, without fear of retribution, attacks or pointed pouting over analysis and evaluation done in good faith.

I'm pretty sure that the basic goal is the same for everyone: improving one's chances for survival when the chips are down. "Lighten up"? It's deadly serious, to those who've been in the crosshairs of an attacker's actions. It's worth a little seriousness, analysis, review of actions, fishing for feedback, open-mindedness, etc.

In the end, none of that's meant to force you or anyone else to do anything, think differently or alter one element of your security arrangements. It is merely to put the thoughts out there, in the hope that someone can benefit. If nothing else, tossing in my two cents helps me to improve my personal security arrangements in the light of others' analysis. That's a good thing, short of any other benefit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Jezzzzzzz, can’t anyone have a little fun while carrying a gun
    'nuff said.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

... Don’t come down on me about what YOU think the rules should be. ....
    Totally agree with you. It's pretty easy to get some of these guys panties in a bunch.

Just get the words 'permit' and 'license' mixed up and watch the sparks fly!
    Or notify a PO of carry
    Or let a PO disarm you
    Or consent to a search
    Or pocket carry w/o a holster
    Or use a 22 mag for defense
    Or let your wife purse carry
    Or disagree with the NRA on anything

Internet people are funny
    Last edited by What the?; June 12th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.

Lead Moderator
    Don't quite understand your belief that anyone is forcing you to do things their way. This site is dedicated to concealed carry. We exchange thoughts , ideas, experiences and opinions.
    Obviously if you feel the need to make this thread, you feel posters are demanding you conform to their opinion. Personally, I welcome the input from others. I may not agree always , but lots of good thoughts and advice have been presented.
    One is never too old to learn more. If you feel this site isn't for you, find another.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

"They're not rules -- they're more like, guidelines." Barbossa

TC_FLA, you seem to be taking recommendations as rules, which appear to be one of your pet peeves, like in your post where you called 98% of LEOs idiots. In an open forum, as ccw9mm said, the whole idea is to engage in discussion with a wide variety of individuals. There's a lot of experience here, and a lot of training. I suppose it's natural, sometimes, to get frustrated when you find out that maybe your current practices aren't necessarily the best approach. Just take it as a learning experience and gain from it. If you disagree with a recommendation, don't take it personally, state your case in a respectful manner. That's one of the things I like best about this forum. When there's disagreement (and I certainly have my share), there's room for healthy discussion and civil discourse.

Maybe you just needed to vent, but starting from a position of flaming the forum and its contributors is not necessarily going to get you a lot of agreement, if that's what you're looking for. If, on the other hand, you're just hankerin' for a good flame war, you're right -- this isn't the forum for it.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

This thread serves no good purpose.

One or two posters are unhappy that they don't think the same way as the majority, claiming that we are unreasonable to offer advice and guidance.
    There is good reason the consensus here is what it is, it reflects common sense and honest virtue.

Fun with a carry gun?

Not sure where that is going...

My wife and I enjoy firearms and our weekly trips to the range are a lot of fun. We have friendly competitive range sessions and there is often a ďgive me fiveĒ or ďfist bumpĒ after an outstanding round of shooting. By the wayÖ she is doing really well and I donít mind saying, out shoots me at least 50% of the time. This is awesome considering last year she couldnít keep from shooting the ground 10 feet in front of her because she was so scared of a handgun and would jerk the trigger. The time together and the training along with demonstrated improvement for both of us have brought us closer together. We really do have fun and enjoy shooting.

When it comes to concealed carry I donít think I can say the word fun applies. We talk when riding in the car on the way home from the range or while out shopping about scenarios where we would have to protect ourselves and support each other. The discussion revolves around all available options and the level of responsibility we have because we carry to do everything on our power to never need that weapon. It isnít fun discussionÖ it is very sobering and we more often than not comment on the awesome responsibility we have because we are carrying.

Itís great to have a hobby/sport that we both enjoy together (and also allows us to improve upon our ability to defend ourselves) and it is also amazing to me how much more trust we have in each other as we discuss, learn, plan and strengthen our resolve to not be sheep. I told her the other day she was a sheepdog. She told me thatís ok but if I call her a bi__ch Iím toast.

Do we have fun, yes but more than not we are floored by the high level of responsibility we have in exercising our right to defend ourselves. Iím a firm believer that this responsibility comes with a set of rules and maybe some are different for each of us but rules donít need to cause contention. They should serve as guides to help us and keep us alive and not drive a wedge between us.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    There is good reason the consensus here is what it is, it reflects common sense and honest virtue.

In my short experience here this certainly appears to be the case. I found this forum by accident while surfing the net for anything gun related. Think I may have found a home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links