PET ~ DOG ~ Health Question

PET ~ DOG ~ Health Question

This is a discussion on PET ~ DOG ~ Health Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Dog Question My Cocker Spaniel "Beulah" has a really bad eye problem. She goes totally BONKERS when I take her to the vet & so ...

Administrator

Question PET ~ DOG ~ Health Question

Dog Question
    My Cocker Spaniel "Beulah" has a really bad eye problem.
    She goes totally BONKERS when I take her to the vet & so three days ago I just phoned the vet and then E~mailed them with close~up photos of her eyes. I Love Computers!
    Anyway...They seemed to know exactly what the problem was & I went down and picked up these eye drops and I have been putting them in both eyes "daily and faithfully" exactly as per the directions. It is:
    Neomycin & Polymyxin B Sulfates & Dexamethasone Opthalmic Suspension USP
    So...I gather it's an antibiotic in combination with a steroid.
    Today...Her eyes look like they are clearing up but, ALSO TODAY she was really listless & did not eat & did not want to go for a walk.
    That is Very Unusual for her since we usually walk & run about 20 blocks a day.. She is only 3.5 years old.
    Could that lack of energy be related to the eye problem...or the drops ~ or is something else going on with her?
    I checked her over by pressing on her everywhere to see if anything specific that might be bothering her & that was negative.
    She just seems down in the dumps. She is drinking water.
    Just wondering if any of you have dogs with eye problems & if her "lack of energy" symptoms are common for an infection in the eyes.
    Today she just seems to want to sleep.
    Any information greatly appreciated.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    Mine gets like that sometimes, QKShooter, and we normally attribute it to allergies because she gets it during allergy season. Ours is getting old (just over 10 now) and I have noticed that she sleeps alot more. She seems to be like us. She feels good sometimes, bad sometimes and even, at time seems depressed just like people.

Something I used to do when I had a dog that didn't travel well was had a mobile vet come by and give the dog his shots and check him out. I just looked in the phone book and there he was. It cost a bit more but it was alot easier and less stressful on the dog.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Is it snowing there like it has been here the past 2 days that enough to do it to anyone or animal ..

QKS....I'd stop the drops....whether the dog likes it or not, take him to the Vet and have checked out....C spaniels are also known to get diabetes, so I'd definitely get it to the Vet....spaniels are typically very energetic dogs and to have one that young just laying around is unusual....good luck!

Administrator

Thanks Folks

I sure wish we had a mobile vet around here.
    This probably started out with allergies...sure hope that nothing else is wrong.
    I am thankful that we have a good vet.
    She is going to call me back in about 20 minutes but, I think I'm just going to take her in this morning no matter what...even though Beulah will be trembling for about 4 hours once I get her back home.
    Thanks People.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    ...I think I'm just going to take her in this morning no matter what...even though Beulah will be trembling for about 4 hours once I get her back home.
    Thanks People.
    I keep retired racing greyhounds. While most do fine with vet visits, some are spooks. For spooks, every trip is traumatic. You might want to talk with your vet about something like Clomicalm for Beulah for the days she has to go to the vet. Tranqs that keep the dog relaxed can make a huge difference.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Administrator

Thumbs up The Pedigree Mutt Update

Well, Beulah had an eye infection and an ear problem that I was not aware of...so...it was a good thing that I did take here in.
    And...you guys were correct in that it did start with allergies which knocked her system down & allowed that stuff to get a start.

She is back to being her happy~go~lucky, useless, good for not much, pain in the donkey dog self.
    She Takes After Her "Master":3schild40
    Last edited by QKShooter; April 29th, 2005 at 12:35 AM.

DC Founder
    LOL, glad to hear it, QKShooter!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Links