DC nerds unite!

This is a discussion on DC nerds unite! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by mcp1810 Sixto it could have been worse. We had a female officers daughter turn her portable on and key up and say ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DC nerds unite!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Sixto it could have been worse. We had a female officers daughter turn her portable on and key up and say " Mommy needs help!"
    Fortunately ( or maybe not) we got a good identifier. No answer on the air, no answer on home phone. Fortunately her apartment door was unlocked. (She was expecting her boyfriend) She had half a shift inside her apartment when she stepped out of the shower!
    My partners kid did something like this... with my radio. I was walking through a festival and ran into my partners wife and his kid. My partner was on the other side of the lot (about 1/2 mile away) taking care of some other business, so I waited for him with his family.
    His boy and my boy are best buddies, so I know him well. He wanted me to pick him up so he can check out my badge etc. As soon as I do, he grabs hold of my shoulder mike and yells into it "Hey Daddy, Sixto (name has been changed to protect the guilty) is over here with Mommy, you better hurry up!" Of course my partner heard it, as well as the rest of the county. Good thing everyone had a good sense of humor and who can blame a 2 year old kid?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

I was laying down to go to bed one night about 4 years ago and all of a sudden I hear a car flying down our driveway, lock up the breaks and slide to a stop with the headlights pointing to the window. I jump back up, grab the 1911 and head for the living room when all of a sudden I hear Bam, Bam open up, police!!
    I peak through the door and sure enough, it is a deputy. I lay the 1911 down and open the door. He says we had a 911 hangup and I'm here to make sure everyone is okay. I hear my wife scream from the bedroom "I'm sorry!!!!" He just starts laughing and I thank him and he leaves. My wife was trying to dial a 919 area code and hit 1 too many 1s, she thought she hung up in time.
    Later I thought, he never cleared the house. I could have had her tied up in the bedroom or something and he never would have known.

FMC

Add me to the DC nerds list SIXTO. I'll be happy to be part of that group. I'll wear my pocket protector and high water pants with pride.

My wife found a quiz to find out if you are a nerd one time in a magazine at a doctors office. She decided to give me the quiz by reading the questions to me and seeing how I did.
    The first question was "What does http mean in the beginning of an internet url." Before she could read me the 4 multiple choice answers I saif Hyper Text Transfer Protocol. She looked at me kind of stunned and then back at the magazine, there below the first question it showed the correct answer and said "If you got this question correct, skip to the end, you pass, you are a nerd."

So, I guess I qualify.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Thinking about this thread, I asked myself what would I rather do...
    Have a night out with the boys doing whatever it is we want to, or have a night tinkering in my shop, I chose tinkering.

Am I getting old, or did I become a nerd? My older and wiser pals just say my priorities have changes, but I dunno.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Ditto, SIXTO. If it doesn't happen at home, it doesn't hold much interest for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thinking about this thread, I asked myself what would I rather do...
    Have a night out with the boys doing whatever it is we want to, or have a night tinkering in my shop, I chose tinkering.

Am I getting old, or did I become a nerd? My older and wiser pals just say my priorities have changes, but I dunno.
    I hope thats not a sign of getting old, because I don't wanna admit I'm getting older.. I'd rather hang out at home with the family then go out with the boys..

Administrator
    Yeah, going out with the "boys" now means to the park or to the ice cream stand down the road.
    Pretty soon mine will be old enough to ride dirt bikes with me (he cant wait of course, but mom sure can!) or one of my many hobbies.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The big change for me was when we moved to Texas. Don't know anyone here. I guess if I went out and got a job I would meet some people and have a social life, but I really don't miss it that much. I am actually getting a lot of projects done that I never had time for before! I guess maybe I can go get a job when the kids go back to school. This early retirement thing isn't really for me.

Well, I usually come home from hanging out with the boys, or work, and check stuff at 3AM. Don't guess that makes me a nerd though. I'm still young and dumb and like to go to the bars.

If I am still tinkering on my truck after dark, that means an afternoon project went bad.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Early retirement would kill me. I'm on track to be able to do it in my late 40's or early 50's, but I dont think I will.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Maybe I'm a bit of an anti-social type but, I don't really have a bunch of friends that I hang out with. I have a couple of "friends" that really are just co-workers that I have done stuff with. A cook out at their house or mine but we don't make plans to do anything.

I really only have one friend that I don't work with and he is a new friend so I don't know if it will be a long term friendship or not.

I'm just a home body-family type guy. I spend my free time with my wife and kids. I don't really need anyone else.

Now if I lived in Gods Country (you all know it as Indiana) where I was born and raised, I am sure I would hang out with my brother a lot. But, then again, that's family again. So, not much would change.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I am excited, and hoping that JD's job in Lynchburg works out so I can have two more shooting buddies (He and Limatunes). Friday was the first time I hung out with someone that I either did not work with or was not a lifelong friend of my wife. Does that make me an antisocial nerd?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    Does that make me an antisocial nerd?
    Yes, but you have cool guns and know how to shoot and that makes it ok

It's the antisocial nerds that just have one gun and just pet it and talk to it that you have to worry about.

So as long as I keep talking to all of my guns things are ok?
    Even the ones that don't speak to me anymore?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    It's the antisocial nerds that just have one gun and just pet it and talk to it that you have to worry about.
    Huh....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links