NYC police officer found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound in hotel room

This is a discussion on NYC police officer found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound in hotel room within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Officer suicide It's certainly not something that pleases me, so please don't misconstrue. But reading about this, I am given cause to wonder: What do ...

Thread: NYC police officer found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound in hotel room

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

NYC police officer found dead of self-inflicted gunshot wound in hotel room

Officer suicide

It's certainly not something that pleases me, so please don't misconstrue.

But reading about this, I am given cause to wonder:
    What do the anti-gunners say about this? You would think that they would argue for some sort of control over whether, or which, police officers should be able to have guns.

It's too bad for the anti-gunners that Britain, in being forced to have to keep step with criminals (even though their system is doing an abysmal job of it) had to arm its cops -- because if not for that, the U.S. anti-gunners would probably at this point be saying, "Why can't we abolish cops having guns, like the Brits?!"

When anti-gunners trot out their statistics about how many people die by gunshot each year, who would wager that they cull out the statistics of cops who kill themselves? I mean, since no one is trying to disarm the cops, they really shouldn't include cop gun suicides in the stats to show the "cost" of gun ownership, because cops always keep their guns after a ban. (This is not to mention that suicide rates are shown to remain stable when one means is eliminated, because the use of other means simply absorbs an increase.)

I really wonder about this.

It's a sad situation when someone feels so despondent that he has to end his life. Maybe he had an illness that was going to get very painful or something. Then again, maybe he was guilt-ridden over some wrongdoing in his past? Who knows. I hope his family finds peace after this.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    It happens more often with LEO's than you think for a number of reasons. Who knows why this officer did it.

I do know of a few agencys who do not allow officers to take home their guns, the must leave them locked up at the office when they go home.

Something to think about, in the past three years we have 7 suicides in my area that I can think off the top of my head. One hanging, two "flyers" (we have a few large bridges) one overdose, two that drove their cars into a building and one firearms.
    Point is, it doesnt matter, there are plenty of ways to get the job done if one wants to.
    Last edited by SIXTO; June 16th, 2007 at 09:49 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    What do the anti-gunners say about this? You would think that they would argue for some sort of control over whether, or which, police officers should be able to have guns.
    I seriously doubt that, the anti argument is that we don't need privately owned guns as the police are there to provide that protection.
    Also, no matter how tragic, single death suicides do not factor into their rhetoric against guns as much as murder-suicides, murders or accidental killings.
    They will leave this one alone IMO.

I've been to 30+ countries and i've never heard of a gun free police. I've seen gun free LEOs as part of a force but not a whole force that was gun free.

They wouldn't bother calling for it, it would blow up in their faces before it gained any momentum. The liabilities would be too big.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    It happens more often with LEO's than you think for a number of reasons. Who knows why this officer did it.
    Correlate that with LEOs having a very high divorce rate and you might have your answer Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

I do know of a few agencys who do not allow officers to take home their guns, the must leave them locked up at the office when they go home.

Something to think about, in the past three years we have 7 suicides in my area that I can think off the top of my head. One hanging, two "flyers" (we have a few large bridges) one overdose, two that drove their cars into a building and one firearms.
    Point is, it doesnt matter, there are plenty of ways to get the job done if one wants to.
    Seven LEO suicides? In your area? That seems like a lot...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I don't think any suicides should count in the stats. Of course, I also don't think that the loss of every life is a tragedy. Frankly, some people are worth less to this world than others. Now I wonder what percentage of annual US gun deaths are suicide.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'm Back. Just found a CDC article that says between 1970 and 1980, just over 50% of suicides were by firearm.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Seven LEO suicides? In your area? That seems like a lot...

ret
    No, not LEO suicides, just suicides in general. I have never dealt with or even known of a LEO suicide in my area.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links