Taking "Always be prepared" to the next level

This is a discussion on Taking "Always be prepared" to the next level within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of you know (meaning some of you don't know) that I returned to my birth state of Wisconsin for a couple of days to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking "Always be prepared" to the next level

Senior Moderator

Taking "Always be prepared" to the next level

Some of you know (meaning some of you don't know) that I returned to my birth state of Wisconsin for a couple of days to stand up in my best friend's wedding and to spend father's day with my family, and, of course, my father.

When I left PA, even though I brought my carry gun with me, I understood that concealed carry was not an option. I brought my gun to shoot if I got the chance, but I would not be left without some form of defense. I took two knives with me, my little Kershaw and another one (maker unknown at this moment) that my husband asked me to take with so that I had something a little longer and effective should I need it.

I faithfully carried my knife with me at all moments, even in preperation for the wedding ceremony.

The morning of the wedding, while myself and six other bride's-maids, along with the bride, were getting prepared, there seemed to be constant requests for a cutting device. So, there I was, with my knife, to provide my services.

Then it came time for me to get into my very form fitting, very "un-concealable" dress, and after this was accomplished I was left holding my knife in my hand, with nowhere to put it.

Because I have been carrying some form of weapon constantly for more than a year, I felt loath not to have it with me, even for a wedding ceremony. Also, by the fact that we had needed it so many times that morning already, I had the feeling it may be needed again.

So, I did the only practical thing I could think of: I hooked the knife, via its built-in clip, to a strap of my high-heeled shoe, that was concealed wonderfully by my long, flowing gown. The other bridesmaids and bride herself thought this was extremely humerous (and a bit paranoid) but it was soon forgotten when the ceremony began.

I walked down the aisle, I sang my song, the beautiful bride and her husband exchanged their vows and then it came time to exchange the rings.

The groom took the pillow from the ring-bearer on which the rings were tied and as fate would have it, they were tied too tightly and they couldn't get the rings off.

The more they struggled they more the audience laughed and the more aggitated the bride and groom became.

Finally, what I knew was coming, came; the bride turned around and said, "Give me the knife."

So, I bent over, and quickly unclipped the knife, handing it to the bride who then handed it to her groom who said, "Where in the world did THIS come from?"

Later he would tell me that the moment he realized it came from the bride's-maid's side of things he knew it was me.

The entire audience BURST into laughter and it took more than several minutes to calm them all down.

The groom cut the string and returned my knife, at which point I kept it in my hand rather than returning it to my shoe.

The talk of the reception was not the beauty of the wedding, but of the crazy bride's-maid who pulled a knife from her shoe in the middle of the ceremony.

They have both pictures and video of this and I hope to get my hands on them soon.

Later that night I called my husband and told him the story, to which he responded, "That is awesome! That's my wife!"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A knife is a tool I try to never be without. I know I have had some situations where people were surprised that I had a knife. It is well know that if anyone needs a knife they can get one from me.

I like that story, it will live on for a very long time.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Assistant Administrator
    That indeed is a ''that's my gal'' from hubby

Heard about this and it tickled me no end - in fact I think I'd have been all but surprised if you had not had any knife on you at all!!

Good for you - lima saves the day

Come home soon - you are missed
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Leave it to you, Lima!!
    That's awesome - always prepared!

Glad that the bride & groom and all involved had a great sense of humor about it. After all, the knife DID serve its intended purpose of getting the rings untied and onto the appropriate fingers!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Lead Moderator
    Always carry 1 myself ,too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

Later that night I called my husband and told him the story, to which he responded, "That is awesome! That's my wife!"
    That's exactly what I said and I'll say it again, That's my wife!!

BTW, your thumb safety and slimline grips came in.

Too funny hope the pics are good

Actually, this is always prepared...

But she didn't have a bayonet 0.02, how would she have cut the rings off?

Good story Lima. I had a knife on me at my brother's wedding, pretty easy to conceal in a tux.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    There are other great parts of the story that were not mentioned yet.

After the groom cut the string and was folding up my knife to return it to me he said (unknowingly into the microphone set up for them), "Man, remind me not to mess with her. She keeps a knife in her shoe! Where does she keep the gun?"

To which the bride replied, "If it were legal here, it'd be somewhere under that dress."

The crowd was still laughing too hard to hear all of that exchange but for those who heard it, it just added fuel to the flames of uncontrollable laughter, mostly because they know it to be so true.

Then, after the ceremony was over and I was walking out with my assigned groomsman, he said, "So, you're the knife gal? That was awesome. You're always ready for anything, huh?"

I assured him I tried to be.

Someone else pointed out that it was a little strange that not one single groomsman had a knife, but rather it was a bridesmaid.

My cousin said he was just about ready to jump up and offer his knife when he saw me lean over and produce one from my shoe. He said he just had to laugh at how little he was surprised by the fact that it was me who was armed, despite the outfit.

He also pointed out how proud he was of me.

Even my Dad was proud.

He was doing the video taping for the wedding, looking through a tiny hole in the recorder, so he didn't clearly see what had happened, he just heard a lot of laughing.

After the wedding was over he came to the table where we were all sitting and asked what was so funny during the exchanging of the rings.

Another bridesmaid laughed and said, "YOUR daughter pulled a knife out of her high heeled shoe."

My Dad got a big smile on his face and just nodded.

The guests who didn't know my name just began referring to me as "the gal who pulled the knife out of her shoe."

So, it was only inevitable that when it came time for pictures and the bride was getting pictures with me, the photographer said, "And where is that knife?"

There is a picture waiting to be developed of a beautiful bride, myself, and a knife.

Assistant Administrator
    lima - two things - well I know I ain't ya Dad - obviously, (tho I'd be proud if you were my daughter) ....... but sure as heck you were impressive. Your reputation will spread I guarantee it

Second - I wanna see a vid clip - really I do
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Second - I wanna see a vid clip - really I do
    The video they took of the wedding was VHS, but I asked for a copy of it to be sent to us as soon as possible (the father of the bride is sending a copy to the bride and groom anyway and promised to make a second copy for us and send it our way). Even if the copy is VHS, I'm taking it to a media store to be put on DVD or in a Digital format so that I can get it on my computer.

The whole wedding was hillarious. There were so many parts that had the audience laughing their heads off. My producing a knife from my shoe was just the icing on the cake.

John also wasn't able to come with me so he wanted to see it anyway, this just made it that much more interesting. Hopefully they will send me the copy soon.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Beautiful! The only better place for it would be clipped into your hair if it was all pulled up with pins.

Senior Moderator
    Exellent story.
    Brought a smile to my face...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I love happy endings. Limatunes to the rescue - and they all lived happily ever after. I performed my niece's wedding about a month ago. I wear a robe when I do weddings - that way I never clash. I don't know if anyone else had a knife at the wedding, but I did. I also had a 10mm S&W pistol. However, being from Alabama, I figure there were several knives in the wedding party and probably another firearm or two.

Great job, Lima.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links