Just caught a home invader.

This is a discussion on Just caught a home invader. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well I have seen this BG lurking around my home for the past few nights and decided that I would make myself ready just in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just caught a home invader.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Well I have seen this BG lurking around my home for the past few nights and decided that I would make myself ready just in case he ever decided to make a move. I'm glad I did.

Let me say that this capture was not easy. It's not often that you come up against a threat with this level of speed, agility, and stealthyness. Sure I wanted to sit with the .45 and wait him out, but after much protest from my wife ... something about holes in the floor kids downstairs and other such nonsense. I decided to set a trap that he couldn't resist.

Needless to say it worked.

That mouse is toast.

Never had a chance.

Now we can all rest a little easier tonight.
    Attached Images
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    [Anti rights advocate]But he was just a poor misunderstood mousey. He only turned to a life of crime because society kept him down. We need to ban mouse traps! It's for the children...[/Anti rights advocate]

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    BTW, what did you bait the trap with?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodSamaritan View Post
    BTW, what did you bait the trap with?
    The anti's are always trying to get our traps. My trap is actually preban so it still has the 5lb spring and the "snap silencer". This combined with the custom polished trigger really makes for a neck breaker.

Just a dab of peanut butter. You really gotta smoosh it down in the bait crevice. That way the little critter has to work for it and then SNAP!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Peanut butter's just the ticket.

That's the first mouse I've seen with "sad, puppy dog eyes."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lol - I got this bugger last month as soon as I noticed he moved into my basement (the price I'm paying for having access to the crawl space under my house via the basement in the addition). [Evil laugh] he tried to get away when he sprung the trap...but as you can see...didn't quite make it.
    So I'm cheap and don't care to spend money on perfectly designed mousetraps! Why bother if I can get it done with stuff from the backyard in about 60 seconds...and it's FREE! Oh and I second the peanut butter!
    Attached Images
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Ok, maybe I am the only ne here who will ask the question, but I have to know...

Can you diagram the Cinder Block mousetrap? I would love to see the "Engineering" on that one.

NRA Member

"...the Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to keep and bear arms. The Constitution says ‘the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.’” - Ronald Reagan

Assistant Administrator
    Seems we all agree - yep - peanut butter is tops. Certainly tho smoosh it well into the bait holder cos I have had a few that clean the whole darned thing - and get away!

So many trap designs these days but heck - you can't beat the old 4 for a dollar type deals - just be real cautious tho when setting them ... that spring is wicked
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis27 View Post
    Ok, maybe I am the only ne here who will ask the question, but I have to know...

Can you diagram the Cinder Block mousetrap? I would love to see the "Engineering" on that one.

Actually I can...it's VERY simple design. I'll draw it up and scan and post it this evening. I like to play with home-made traps and snares(not like that wasn't obvious)

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Thumbs up Nice Catch...

There was a time I tried to catch this 'super' mouse who would watch me in the morning and was able to lick the peanut butter 'clean off each trap'...at night.

I was frustrated beyond all belief, but then it took an old farmer to set me straight. He told me that peanut butter could catch some, but not the smart ones...

He told me to take a peanut and 'glue' it to the trap...it worked beyond all expectations...just an ole' timers expertise!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    So many trap designs these days but heck - you can't beat the old 4 for a dollar type deals - just be real cautious tho when setting them ... that spring is wicked
    The best of them will jump 2ft off the ground, when activated. (That's immediately preceding a rapid flight to the opposite wall, of course. Don't ask me how I know this.)

Whatever you do, watch out for the super mouse, or the mice that plan the attack ...
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Informative - as requested...(decided to save you the trouble of trying to interpret my "architectural sketches"(otherwise known as chicken scratch) and just take photos and a quick vid this evening.
    deadfall imgs on photobucket

I use deadfalls like these for smaller game/pests for a number of reasons. Some prefer figure4's, but I think these are much easier, as such can be constructed faster, easier to set/reset, and no major adjustment/retooling is needed to change the sensitivity once you've already whittled your sticks down (unlike a figure4). With a figure 4 if you foul it up the first time, you may as well get some new sticks and and start whittling away again. And you also have to get all your notches just right or it won't work properly. With mine a lot more slack/laziness is allowed. My grandfather taught me this one years ago.

If you need something for MUCH larger game I'll have to rig my big guy back up down the hill one day and see if I can get some photos of the setup. By larger we're talking deer, bear, human...All setup with a swiss army knife and some twine or rope or whatever cordage you choose that's strong enough. I wouldn't recommend setting it anywhere where there's people...unless your goal is for their immediate death. Originally I designed it to get the annoying coons that kept getting into my shed and making a mess. My last testing a buzzard seems to have gotten into it. Messy to say the least. I found the head and body 15 yards from each other a few hours later. That's more or less how I came to realize that with a slight modification it would work real well on large game. Basically it's just a heavy duty spring snare. Needless to say, I don't set that one up anymore except for the rare occasion that folks want to see a stuffed toy get ripped in half. I'll save that for when I absolutely have to get something big and for some ODD reason I don't have any bullets. IOW Last ditch effort.

-The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The best of them will jump 2ft off the ground, when activated. (That's immediately preceding a rapid flight to the opposite wall, of course. Don't ask me how I know this.)

Whatever you do, watch out for the super mouse, or the mice that plan the attack ...
    ROFL!

-The Mist (2007)

VIP Member

ahaha!! good stuff...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links