Three shot in Melbourne, Australia

This is a discussion on Three shot in Melbourne, Australia within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This will register very highly in the anti's arguments against gun ownership, even though the hypocrisy of Australia banning guns will be lost. Australia has ...

Thread: Three shot in Melbourne, Australia

Exclamation Three shot in Melbourne, Australia

This will register very highly in the anti's arguments against gun ownership, even though the hypocrisy of Australia banning guns will be lost. Australia has (IMO) even less public sympathy towards gun ownership than Britain, and that's saying something.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6762457.stm

One person has died and two been injured after a gunman opened fire on a busy street in the centre of Melbourne in Australia, police have said.
    The two who were hurt reportedly both suffered chest wounds and were taken to hospital in a critical condition.

The gunman escaped on foot and is now being sought by police.

The incident on the corner of Flinders and William Streets happened during the morning rush hour, sending hundreds of commuters fleeing for cover.

Police believe that one of the injured victims, a woman, knew the assailant.

"There is no suggestion this is a random act - it appears there was a relation with the gunman and the victims, so we are asking people not to panic," Victoria Police Inspector Glen Weir said.

"There are numerous police attending the search within the vicinity of the incident and there's a large cordon and containment operation under way as we speak," Inspector Weir added.

"A girl came out of a building over the road, she was screaming and a guy had her by the hair," witness Ross Murchie told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

"She tried to grab hold of a taxi that was going by and the couple of bystanders went over to ask what was happening," Mr Murchie said.

"He let go of her hair, pulled out a gun and shot them all."

The other person who was injured and the one who died were both reported as male.

The incident forced the closure of a number of streets in the commercial heart of what is Australia's second-largest city, with shops and offices shut as armed police and helicopters hunt for the gunman.

"No-one is allowed out of the building - we have to close down everything, customers are inside, we have to remain inside," shop owner Hened Mouawad told AFP.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Exclamation What? Still gun crime goes on in Australia?! How can this be?!

Well slap me, I thought this was the reason they bought back all the guns! I guess someone forgot to sell his back to the government

Prime Minister John Howard declined to comment directly on the shooting because he was not aware of the details, but said he was willing to open discussions on further tightening gun control laws with state leaders, who have responsibility for policing them.

Justice Minister David Johnston said Australian firearms laws already were very tight and that it was likely the gun used in Monday's shooting was obtained illegally.

"It is very, very, difficult for a law-abiding citizen to obtain a handgun," Johnston said, adding: "If someone wants to purchase a concealable weapon on the black market they will probably be successful."
    Something tells me they should trade John Howard for a dog, and then shoot the dog. And why isn't this David Johnston the prime minister instead of that moron "more-gun-control-yeah-that'll-finally-do-the-trick" Howard?!

further tightening gun control laws
    That'll fix it. Won't these clowns ever learn?

No one can own guns...how do you tighten that?

Idiots...we have to rid of ourselves (our own country) of politicians who think like this!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

More laws should certainly take care of that blackmarket gun problem they have down there in Aussie.

"Alright thugs, murderers, and other nere-do-wells, guns are against the law so I want you all to come down and turn them in."........

Que the crickets.......
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Thread merges are fine, but let the original thread title stand.

Three shot in Melbourne, Australia

Must be wrong, there are no handguns allowed in Australia.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070618...yUpW3AQYpvaA8F
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

"It is very, very, difficult for a law-abiding citizen to obtain a handgun," Johnston said, adding: "If someone wants to purchase a concealable weapon on the black market they will probably be successful."
    Am I missing something, or is he pointing out the error in gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Am I missing something, or is he pointing out the error in gun control?
    No, you're seeing through the ruse, alright.

def. Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over but expecting a different result each time. Stupid twits. It would be sad, if it weren't for the fact the same sickness infects half the politician usurpers in this country (USA).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This story is a blatant lie. It could not be true. They have strict laws against this kind of thing in Autralia.

When will the lefties learn. Singing Kum By Ya together doesn't make a criminal a granola muncher.

Links