Low man on the totem pole

Low man on the totem pole

This is a discussion on Low man on the totem pole within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Title pretty much says it all. Sometimes I fear I am doomed to spend my entire existence as the low man on the totem pole. ...

Thread: Low man on the totem pole

Cool Low man on the totem pole

Title pretty much says it all. Sometimes I fear I am doomed to spend my entire existence as the low man on the totem pole.

Now don't get me wrong it's good to be even on the totem pole. Matter of fact most people never get that far.

I feel I should explain.

As a young teacher building up years, one can expect to get put into situations where you do a job no one else wants to do. I feel they do this on purpose to scare off the weak. They do things like give you all remedial sections. Oh yes.

To be honest I love my craft but it does wear on the nerves a bit when day in, day out, the inane behavior of some of these squirts never seems to change, and it can cause some disheartening.

Principal walks in today, sits down, and tells me that everything is up in the air right now, but they want to move all the remedial courses I teach to another campus. Immediately he assures me I still have a job, and to be honest I think this is actually a wise decision for the good of the students and the district at large.

But now it creates a situation of dual hope and fear. See, someone is going to have to handle that new assignment at that new campus. I am beginning to feel like a dog wearing seven leashes.

My boss is a great guy who doesn't need that job at all but he does it anyway with a smile and with ruthless efficiency. He acts, talks, and looks exactly like a high school principal should. He wants to keep me on his campus, which is a compliment.

But then the other campus will be lobbying for someone to transfer over to take on their increased workload. And then every instructor on that campus will try real hard to wiggle out of that workload.

We anticipate having 150 more students next year on our campus. Our workload will not decrease but it will change radically as we are implementing a new Pre Algebra course and a new Advanced Placement course.

And out of all these people, between two warring administrations and a sea of middle aged women (I'm the only male in the whole math department...) who gossip amongst themselves, I am the low man on the totem pole. I have the least years in, so my opinion weighs in the least.

I am not adverse to trying something new and challenging, and truthfully I want to as I have some of my own ideas about how to teach these subjects, but I'm also a tad nervous. If anyone gets an assignment with more than 3 preps or transferred to the other campus it's going to be me. Hooray!

Story of my life.

Administrator

Thumbs up "Chin Up Mate!"

I honestly believe that ultimately better things usually happen to good people. That is the way it usually works. Good Migrates Toward Good.
    This may just end up being the highlight of your teaching career.
    It might also turn out to be downright suckingly awful & you can deal with it at that future point in time.
    Don't dread the unknown...welcome it! ~ Some day you'll be looking back "on it all" and NOTHING is worse than "looking back" on a past "spent" & boring life.
    BTW ~ You used to be a low man on the totum here...but, I see a nice grouping of red stars under that "Euclidean" right now.
    We'll be right here to help you negotiate and cut that path toward your unknown future.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

man being low is a pain im maybe medium on it and were all wondering what goes on tomm ... they pulling 147 guys off the road for a surprise meeting tomm makes ya worry

DC Founder
    I would bet that if you ever get to the top you will want to be closer to the bottom. The old saying that "it's lonely at the top" is true. Everyone seems to want to knock you down. If I could hire myself into a lower level job and then resign my current job, I would do it in a heartbeat....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    True story. I saw the lofty landscape, and chucked it. I sleep better.

When I sharpen knives, the tips of my fingers get a charcoal grey stain in the fingerprints from the 'dross.' That is, the watery remains of the metal removed from the edge. When I did white-collar work, I never even got that dirty.

I remind myself of what Russell Crowe said in "The Gladiator" about the choice of occupations in his life. He had been a general, and a farmer.

His character remarked, "Mud washes off easier than blood."

I am no longer the sought-after credit manager that rescues distressed companies in the multi-million dollar strata. I just saw that I have a hole in the seat of my jeans.

Sleep better? Sometimes I am in such a deep, restful dose that it is 10:00AM before I climb out of bed. I actually found my wrist watch last week; it was covered with so must dust that I had to blow it off with compressed air to clean it.

I think I'll shave tomorrow. Maybe.

Sometimes I want to beat certain people with a tubesock with a roll of quarters in it, self included.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Naw, give me the sock...

Assistant Administrator
    Euc - you can only ever do your best - and hopefully gain at least some satisfaction from same. Low on the pole may seem rather ignominious at times, coupled with being asked to do three people's work but - as someone else said - at the top things can get awful lonely.

Trust to fate - if you are as good as I think you are - there will be good doors opening and outnumbering the bad. If you don't already - cultivate assertiveness - it can be a great tool
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Sponsored Links