You know you fly with guns often when....

This is a discussion on You know you fly with guns often when.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, I'm at the airport, getting ready to fly from PA to WI. I'm taking my carry gun with me because even though I can't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You know you fly with guns often when....

Senior Moderator

So, I'm at the airport, getting ready to fly from PA to WI. I'm taking my carry gun with me because even though I can't carry it, if I got the chance I would like to blast off a few rounds in the back yard with my Dad.

I get to the check-in counter and say, "I would like to declare a firearm." (note: never say, "I've got a gun.")

The head of the guy standing behind the counter snaps up and he says, "You'd like to do what?"

"I'd like to declare a firearm."

He looks very lost for about five seconds and then says, "What kind of firearm?"

"A handgun."

"Where is it?" he asks, while taking one large step back.

"It's unloaded, in a hard-sided, locked case, in my suitcase."

He seems to let out a breath of relief and we proceed without incident.

He fills out the little firearms declaration form, I take it to the TSA, put it in the case with my Kimber, relock the case and off it goes, under the plan.

I had fun in Wisconsin, did a little shooting with my Dad, packed it back up and went back to the airport to come home to PA.

I approach the counter and say, "I'd like to declare a firearm."

This time I had a woman and she smiled sweetly while saying, "Okay."

She drops to her knees in front of the station she's behind and it's obvious that she's looking for something though I gathered she didn't know exactly what that something was. It was extremely busy so I tried to help out by saying, "It's a little orangish-yellow tag that says 'Unloaded Firearm(s).'"

She finds the afore mentioned tag and says, "Oh, thanks," while she looks it over front to back with confusion written all over her face.

She then proceeds to just hand me the form.

I say, "Oh, no, you need to fill it out with my flight number, the bag number and all of that stuff, then I sign it."

While I'm explaining this one of the other gals was walking by and overhears my explanation and taps the attendant on the shoulder, pointing to me and saying, "She probably does this a hundred times more than we do. It's a good thing too because I have no idea how those things are done."

When the attendant gets done filling out the information on the card she looks around, looks back at me and says, "Now what? Do I just put it on your bag or what?"

"Oh, no," I say, "I have to take it over to the TSA and put it in the case with the gun."

She smiles sweetly again and says, "Oh, okay." She hands me the tag and laughs. "You should be behind this counter," she says and tells me to have a good flight.

I guess they don't get many declared firearms, but it was still funny to lead her through the process.

I was also very relieved that there was absolutely no trouble on either flight. The gun went through without a single incident.

VIP Member
    Lima! You almost gave the guy heart attack!
    As usual a great story......
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    P.S. A note to those who want to fly with firearms.

When you take your baggage over to the TSA to be checked in, tell them, again, that you are declaring a firearm and show them your declaration slip that was just filled out. They will tell you that you need to put it in the case with the firearm, ask them where they would like you to do that. Usually they don't care where, but they appreciate that you are asking anyway. They will require you to be present as they put your bag through security JUST IN CASE they need to open the case and look at the gun (and believe me, you WANT to be present for that).

Your luggage goes through a little faster because they push it to the front of the line because they know you are waiting and that your luggage carries a special item. They also appreciate your being up front, courteous, and helpful.

On my flight home to PA the head TSA agent personally thanked me for being open, listening to instructions and patient as well as accommodating. As I said, they were very busy and they had to take a few extra steps because of my firearm, and it helps everyone involved if you are patient, courteous and as helpful to them as possible. It also paints us gun-lovers as helpful and accommodating people.

Assistant Administrator
    Nice results lima - as it should be.

I have to again mention a fun event last year - I flew Frontier and all was fine every time I booked, but as I stopped over in Denver I had to book in again with baggage for hop to Tulsa next day.

No prob's - Frontier folks very switched on but - this was the only time TSA guys took baggage thru their lil cave area!

Bonnie and I watched as the fella opened case ... peered at stuff - ignored gun totally (orange card was there of course) - but next thing, he picked out a 2/3 full bottle of Whiskey we had with us - and proceeded to ''wand'' it . Not sure if it was sniffing for drugs or what but he might have been bored - nothing else goin on
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Nice to hear that is releatively easy to travel with a handgun. We are thinking of flying into Florida for vacation and I am really contemplating on wether or not to take my carry gun.

I just don't want to get to the airport and get hung up with a bunch of airport personnel that don't know what to do.

I think I will go to the airport first and have a talk with them. Just to be sure of the process.

Thanks for the story and the inside info on traveling with a gun.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

I brought mine with me to North Dakota and I flew with Northwest...I went to the counter and declared the firearm, she asked where it was, and told me to show her that it was unloaded...filled out the form, signed it and put it in my case and back into my suitcase...that was it, she tagged the case and set it behind her. Hope my flight back this Friday goes as smoothly as that.
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

VIP Member
    Good deal.

I've had all sorts of issues over the years with air carrier ticket agents whenever I've checked in to fly with a firearm....some comical, most very professional, some very stupid and aggravating at the same time.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HnKuspDude View Post
    I brought mine with me to North Dakota and I flew with Northwest...I went to the counter and declared the firearm, she asked where it was, and told me to show her that it was unloaded...filled out the form, signed it and put it in my case and back into my suitcase...that was it, she tagged the case and set it behind her. Hope my flight back this Friday goes as smoothly as that.
    Every airline does things just a TAD differently. Sometimes the attendants at the counter want to see the gun and be sure it's empty, sometimes they make you take it to the TSA for them to show. Sometimes neither of them check, they just take your word for it when you signed the little declaration sheet.

I always just call the airlines and ask them their policies. They usually let you know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I always just call the airlines and ask them their policies. They usually let you know what to expect.
    Thats exactly what I did...lol
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    By the way, Lima, what airline(s) have you flown with guns? Do you know any that have a policy of not allowing firearms in checked baggage?

Assistant Administrator
    Not to pre-empt an answer from lima but - wish I could remember - there is IIRC one particular airline that a year or so ago started a policy of no guns... of course they would not get business from many folks here!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Lima, I'm curious about something. You wrote that you flew to Wisconsin and I thought that there was no concealed carry in Wisconsin. So, how were you legal when disembarking at your location? As I understand it you wrote that you did not carry in Wisconsin but shot at your dad's farm. What I am asking is about the legality of transporting the weapon from the airport to a car, and then driving to the farm. That sounds like "concealed carry," no?
    It sure would be in NYC and NJ, and probably in Illinois.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Hopyard,

If the firearm is in a hard sided case normally it's legal to carry it. That was how I had to transport a firearm around the state of NJ, and I do it out of habit still.

I wouldn't want to try and do it in NJ without an NJ FID card though. And I wouldn't want to try it in NYC at all.

Just a few thoughts...

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Senior Moderator
    Hopyard, firefighter is correct.

ALWAYS check the transportation, reciprocity and/or carry laws of the state you are landing in or passing through if you choose to travel with a firearm (even if it's just a layover).

As I recall there was a big stink about a man who landed in New Jersey with a firearm not long ago.

In Wisconsin, as long as the firearm is unloaded and in a locked, hard-sided case, and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle (i.e. in the trunk or out of reach) then you are fine for transporting the firearm.

When I landed and my Dad picked me up, I told him I had my gun with me (locked and unloaded in a hard-sided case in my suitcase) and that we needed to make sure my suitcase was put in the back of the truck. He understood and complied.

Also, I had no ammunition with me when I flew. My gun was unloaded from the time it was put in the case (as is required by the airline, not to mention the laws of the state I was going to be landing in).

My Dad and I stopped at a sporting goods store and bought ammunition on our way back to the farm. We then complied with Wisconsin state transportation laws by keeping the ammunition and weapon in separate locations in the vehicle.

Also, I have transported firearms through New York on my way up to Connecticut several times. IIRC their transportation laws are very similar to Wisconsin's. The firearm must be unloaded and locked in a hard-sided, lockable case and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle, ammo must be transported in a separate container, away from the firearm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    By the way, Lima, what airline(s) have you flown with guns? Do you know any that have a policy of not allowing firearms in checked baggage?
    This last trip was with Midwest. They were very accommodating and not once did they actually look at the gun itself. I declared the gun, they had me place the declaration in the case with my gun, lock the case and stand near by should they need to open it again after they x-rayed it, but neither time did they request to do so.

I've flown with firearms with two other airlines but for the life of me I can't remember which ones they were.

Every airline has a website and all of their policies are usually spelled out pretty clearly on such matters. If they are not, give them a call and ask for what is said in writing or in a fax or even an email so that you know it's policy and not just some individuals personal preference.

The best place to start is the TSA website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links