Google Alert

This is a discussion on Google Alert within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's become a part of American verbal and computer lexicon: " DO A GOOGLE! " Well guess what? GOOGLE has a dark side. They are ...

Thread: Google Alert

Exclamation Google Alert

It's become a part of American verbal and computer lexicon: "DO A GOOGLE!" Well guess what? GOOGLE has a dark side. They are mining personal data and keeping control of it, ostensibly for marketing purposes but the owners are notoriously ANTI-GUN and give heavily to that "cause."

Still, it's a great search engine. Well you don't have to give it up...exactly. Instead of GOOGLE try SCROOGLE! Scroogle Scraper uses the same engine BUT they'll SCRAPE your personal info before completing the search. So check it out, and if you like it make it your permanent engine and PASS THE WORD!

http://www.scroogle.org/scraper.html

Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    It's become a part of American verbal and computer lexicon: "DO A GOOGLE!" Well guess what? GOOGLE has a dark side. They are mining personal data and keeping control of it, ostensibly for marketing purposes but the owners are notoriously ANTI-GUN and give heavily to that "cause."

Still, it's a great search engine. Well you don't have to give it up...exactly. Instead of GOOGLE try SCROOGLE! Scroogle Scraper uses the same engine BUT they'll SCRAPE your personal info before completing the search. So check it out, and if you like it make it your permanent engine and PASS THE WORD!

http://www.scroogle.org/scraper.html

I've been worried about google for quite some time. It really peaked my interest again a few weeks back with the announcement that they were trying to partner with Salesforce. Good grief. Can you imagine the potential disasters from Googles' mining of salesforce data?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    AD-Aware is a free data-miner ,anti-spyware cleaner...seems to get rid of a bunch of stuff you did not know was there...http://www.lavasoft.de/news/product/info/....

Google saves every search you make. If you have a G-Mail account, they save every email. Forever.
    Or so I've been told.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Lead Moderator
    I almost want to say that if this worries you, get off the internet right now! All those type of sites do that. I think Yahoo is even worst, and Ebay and Amazon also mine your information.

One thing that helps some is turning off cookies, or search their website and see if there is an "opt out", I think they are required to have one, but it won't be easy to find.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

This is exactly the reason that I do not use Google. They are very anti-gun.

I use Dogpile and love it. It does a better job than Google ever has anyway.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I use Firefox and the add on NoScript.

A lot of sites use the free stats offered by Google, I'm forever blocking the Google stats script. I'm not sure how much info they can grab that way but I'd rather give up as little as possible.

I'm also running into more and more sites that use marketing and scripts that are not part of the actual site. It's really getting out of hand.

Holdcard

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    I do not use Google either, I've used Altavista for about 3 years.
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Last edited by ExSoldier; June 22nd, 2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Add Scroogle Scraper
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

What has google done that makes them anti gun? No, i'm not being sarcastic... honest question. I've never read anything that makes me think that. I'd like to know.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    What has google done that makes them anti gun? No, i'm not being sarcastic... honest question. I've never read anything that makes me think that. I'd like to know.
    The owners donate heavily to antigun groups. Also they often set up their search engine to direct folks to antigun sites first and they rarely give preferential treatment to progun sites. But the biggie has to be hundred thousand dollar donations to the million mom march and the Brady Bunch among others.

Dogpile is a good search engine. I use it a lot.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links