Emotional words

Emotional words

This is a discussion on Emotional words within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Perhaps because it's been one of those weeks, or maybe I just don't have much else to contrbute today, but reading some of the threads ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emotional words

Emotional words

Perhaps because it's been one of those weeks, or maybe I just don't have much else to contrbute today, but reading some of the threads brought about a notion that perhaps we need a list of words that are okay to use for expressing extreme emotion (ire or love)....I mean, some of us get real mad and try to disguise a "naughty" word by entering an asterisk or two. But there isn't any consistency, it;s like oh yeah there's a "u" missing....I like consistency....I like standards....maybe we can solicit the input from the foulest mouthed brethren among us to come up with an acceptable list of nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs that we'll all understand but yet won't upset the casual viewer....or God forbid, some anti-gun crusader that links guns with only thugs and slugs.

What say ye? anybody want to take a stab at this?
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Personally I think swearing isn't so much using a rude word, but rather using such words excessively and/or in an inappropriate setting.

For instance when I uttered that 4 letter word about the UN I meant it. No other word would suffice. However, some people garnish their speech with that word and can't form a complete sentence without it.

Just remember if you say those words all the time they don't mean anything when they come out of your mouth. The whole purpose of words like that is to express a vulgar sentiment. It's unhealthy to consider everything in existence something vulgar.

I'll admit your occupation probably has a lot to do with it. Swearing would not be appropriate at all in my workplace. Now when I worked at the lumber yard I was a little looser with my words.

Still you need to calm it down. Save those words for worthy uses like when you drop your circular saw on your foot, or Hillary Clinton gets the Democratic Nomination.

Assistant Administrator
    On THR we have tried to clamp down on this. The filter is set to produce ???? from some words but there are folks who use the whole word, except for one asterisk replacing one letter! We edit those sometimes.!

It is not a ''prudish'' thing - just a way to keep most folks happy - most of the time. The argument is usually that all can and should be said without recourse to profanity. Many people see so much bad language all over the web that they actually state they enjoy being in a ''quiet zone''.

That said - I cuss with the best of them - a lot - but it is a ''time and place'' deal IMO.

I think we can rely on context a great deal -- ''&$#@ the UN'' for example - is well - saying what I might say, same as Euc!! On any forum I think it is to a degree ''all or nothing'' - we either have free reign to use any and every unexpurgated cuss word - or we don't! The veiled attempts are so obvious that they might as well not be veiled!

I'll go with any ruling but - certainly I reckon a set of like minded folks like we have here, can easily find the literary skills to avoid the need for uncensored expletives. Some say - if you wouldn't say it to someone's face - don't write it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

Prospector & P95Carry

Anybody that want to cuss on the forum can just go to the [More] link down near the bottom of the Smilies block and can select Icons and Emoticons to "insert" into their text...like this:

There are SO MANY different funny Smilies on that page (9 Billion) that by the time you finally find the exact NASTY one that you're looking for...You Won't Be Mad Anymore!

DC Founder
    I edited the referenced word (I guess in it's form it wasn't actually a word) but a little too close for comfort. I am not a prude in any way and can cuss with the best of them, probably better than most. Especially when mad. BUT, this is not the place for it, period. And I'm not real keene on the idea of adding one or two symbols and trying to sneak it by. Either P95Carry or QKShooter's replacements are fine and allow us all to get the point. If we were just all guys here burping and passing gas all would be well but we have women, minors, ministers and people that don't like to hear (or see) it and, honestly, I don't like to see it here either. All or none is how most would view the policy. If you have a compelling need to type words that sneak by the profanity filter, type them in a PM and send them to me. I can take it. Some can't.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

I totally agree with Bumper's response.....I guess I should've caveated my post as more a "tongue in cheek" cause that was the intent....I really didn't mean to actually come up with a list of any sort....just trying to bring a point to light that perhaps some postings were getting near the edge. :embarasse
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Years ago I read something that made me think about using profanity (this was while I was still in the navy) and have remembered it ever since. If you think about it you will see that it is true.

Profanity is a lazy man's (person if PC) way of being emphatic!

There are always other words we can use if we just take the time to find them.

Eric

VIP Member
    I sometimes curse in person, but I don't do it on front of my parents and I'll keep it off the forum. I'll post "bleepin" on rare occasion, or I'll use

I could just do it the Battlestar Galactica way and say FRACK!
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I could just do it the Battlestar Galactica way and say FRACK!
    In Arizona, we of course live around a lot of Mormons. While I don't share their beliefs in many ways, they are generally good people. I have rarely heard them cuss (at least as most of us know it) but it seems one of their favorite words is "fricking". I always laugh because it is so obvious what word they are replacing that they might as well go ahead and say it. Words that we can use versus those we can't without dropping jaws is sorta funny....
    Bumper

Ahhhhhhhhh "the words".....plenty of them out there.........when I'm pretty much fed up with a person's remarks.......I'll usually com eout with a term I learnd a long time ago...and sometimes it get a bolt of laughter from them as I say it....and I refer to medical terms when I call them "rectum oraface" or "Richard Cranium"
    Hope I didn't offend anybody here, but it usually gets a burst of laughter from bystanders

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Words that we can use versus those we can't without dropping jaws is sorta funny....
    I think it leans more to the ridiculous than funny but hey, whatever!!

Why is it more acceptable to use a slang word such as friggin or frickin than it is to use the actual word with one or two symbols replaced, when the inference of either word in the context used is exactly the same. Where is the "disguise of meaning" in either of these two...exactly...there is none! Seems like a bit of hypocrisy coming from some!

Kimber Ultra CDP Elite STS II

A gun is a tool...the real weapon is between your ears!

I work in a prison. I am also an ex sailor. I doubt seriously there is anyone here who can say something I haven't heard before, and maybe used. I will not use that language here, but watch out on the yard. I have been known to be "blue", though, now as a Sgt I have to keep it slightly cleaner....
    I do have two custom made insults that use zero foul language to convey an unmistakeable meaning. Unfortunately, most I use them are are lost in incomprehension....
    One is an "asyphylitic anal pus bubble". The other, with respects to female members being offended, even though there is no foul language, I will not post directly....PM for the other....
    Needless to say, using non stop foul lanuage is indicitive of a limited vocublary, and substantiative of lower caste membership. This does NOT contraindicate membership of an elevated plane, merely use of such can sometimes be a signpost thereof.
    GAH! I can't keep this up.....talk like Grandma's listening, WITH a fresh willow switch in hand....
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke45
    I think it leans more to the ridiculous than funny but hey, whatever!!

Why is it more acceptable to use a slang word such as friggin or frickin than it is to use the actual word with one or two symbols replaced, when the inference of either word in the context used is exactly the same. Where is the "disguise of meaning" in either of these two...exactly...there is none! Seems like a bit of hypocrisy coming from some!
    I get your meaning, Deke45, but it's not hypocrisy coming from me. The fact is there IS a difference, which is what makes it funny to me (you can replace that with ridiculous if you wish). Most people know that, I think. Anyway, ridiculous, hypocritic or anything else anyone wants to call it, it's the rule here.
    Bumper

1952 - 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    Anyway, ridiculous, hypocritic or anything else anyone wants to call it, it's the rule here.
    And I think it's a damn fine rule to boot.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Unhappy

Geesh! I apologize for opening up a can of worms here...I tend to do that occasionally and usually regret it.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links