Some nice "Crud hits the fan" provisions...

This is a discussion on Some nice "Crud hits the fan" provisions... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My wife and I have been working on a shelter in place kit, for some time now. Up to this point, we have just been ...

Thread: Some nice "Crud hits the fan" provisions...

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

Some nice "Crud hits the fan" provisions...

My wife and I have been working on a shelter in place kit, for some time now. Up to this point, we have just been picking up extra groceries here and there that will keep. More recently I have had a bit of extra money to put into it and have been considering some long term storage food items. I kept running across freeze dried products from a company called mountain house. They primarily cater to the hiking/backpacking crowd, but they also sell in #10 cans for long term storage. There are a whole host of companies out there selling kits with a "years worth" of food, based almost exclusively on mountain house's stuff.

Since my wife is a very picky eater, has food allergies ,and the words "freeze dried" don't exactly start mouths to watering, I decided we ought to try some of their products to see if they would be edible, before stocking up.

I tried the camping section of the local Wally world. They had a couple different types of the single/double serving size pouches. Unfortunately my wife couldn’t either of them because they contained mushrooms. (She can't eat those at ALL!) After stopping in at some sporting goods stores, I found a big display of the smaller serving sized packages at the local Phillip Galls. I looked through them and purposely picked out the oldest ones to try.(found a couple that were 3 years old) They were a bit pricey for the size, but not so bad when you consider that their serving sizes, though smallish, do seem to fill me up pretty well, and I am a big eater. (I almost think they continue to absorb moisture, and swell a bit in your stomach. ) Also even in the plastic pouches they keep for 7 years. (cans= 25 years)

The result? Much better than expected actually. You just add a little hot/cold water and let them sit for a few minutes before eating. They are pretty darn tasty to. My wife didn't like the texture of some scrambled eggs and ham we tried, but everything thus far has ranged from pretty good to downright tasty. They have a granola and blueberry cereal with it's own milk, that is so good we are going to order a can of it just for breakfast. If anyone is considering supplementing their emergency supplies with long term storage food, or just want something quick and easy to put in a bug out bag, it's worth a shot.
    Also if anyone can recommend a company that sells this stuff in assorted kits, let me know.

Stay safe!

P.S. I don’t really care that it was done, but why was the word “crud” substituted for “feces” in the title of this thread?
    Last edited by GoodSamaritan; June 21st, 2007 at 11:45 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I backpack with Mountain home foodstuffs, Very Tasty!! A great thing in a BUG -out bag is a water filtration system, I recently purchased a new Katadyn filter system. It will (and has) filtered some pretty funky desert water to the purity of bottled water. Freeze dried food is a great idea, but you need clean water for it.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Thanks for the tip.
    We keep about 30 gallons of potable water on hand, plus I have a home reverse osmosis system, with small 24vdc electric pump, and two bladder type pressurized tanks. In a pinch it could be hooked up to 2 car batteries. Use the pump to fill the first tank with water, turn it off, and then let the pressure push the water through the system,and into a jug. Which reminds me, I need a new filter.

A portable water filter like yours is also on my list.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm right there with Flagfly. The katadyn systems are great! But not all of the systems will kill bacteria. Make sure you have iodine tabs anyhow.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Moderator
    Chlorine Bleach will kill bacteria just 1% solution for potable water 10% and you have a sanatizing solution. Bleach will store for as long as peanut butter.

I'll have to try some of the Mountain Home food. Right now we are concentrating on canned foods and dry beans and grains.

For anyone thinking about prepareing for long term Food storage I would highly recommend Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Complete Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival We found it to be quite valuable.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    very interesting. I'll have to look into that stuff for my stockpile.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar

Lightbulb Iodine

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I'm right there with Flagfly. The katadyn systems are great! But not all of the systems will kill bacteria. Make sure you have iodine tabs anyhow.
    I agree with SixBravo on the bacteria point, the Katadyn filter that I bought will "Remove 99.9999% Klebsialla terrigena and protozoon cysts (99.9% giardia and Cryptosporidium)" The only problem with these type of things is that they keep changing designs, so I purchased 3 extra filters. I hadn't thought about Iodine tablets for a while , but will add them to the pack! Thanks for the reminder!

IMO: you can survive for quite a while without food, and it is usually accessable in the form of game. But if you want to stay in the fight, you absolutely, positively have to have water!!! And Ammo!!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Actually anyone who is in the market for this type of stuff, might want to wait a week or two. I have just located a source that has abunch of this stuff at a big discount. It is older stock which is "best if used by" 2015 My wife and I just placed an order for several months worth of this stuff. I'll report back on the transaction if anyone is interested in a similar purchase.
    Of course this might not be the best option for someone who wants to buy it and forget it. We have limited space, and want to start a rotation, so this seemed like a good way to get started. I figure we can eat a can of the stuff every other month, and order a fresh one, that way we find out what we like and can slowly expand our stock as room and needs allow. Also we will have replaced it all long before the old stuff expires.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    There is a portable water filtration device called lifestraw. They are preporting it to cost about $2-$3 per straw and one straw should last about a year or so.

Here is a newsweek article about it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19121634/site/newsweek/
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

If you want to get serious check out the Alpha-rubicon website They have tons of information on food storage and all of that kind of stuff.They might have something that can help you.

www.alpharubicon.com

Shadowsbane, those look like a good idea. Any source for them yet?

Thanks Docsludge! I'll check it out.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I seem to remember that some of the water filters have Silver in the filters that actually kills bacteria, so the iodine/bleach would not be needed.

Best check on that, though.

Links