Just a little old lady. - Page 2

Just a little old lady.

This is a discussion on Just a little old lady. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Tourist, from everything I've read in your posts, you are truly a gentlemen. You seem to have no qualms with facing up to your actions. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tourist,
    from everything I've read in your posts, you are truly a gentlemen. You seem to have no qualms with facing up to your actions. That makes you a man, and I like to think, my friend. The thing about what you posted to start this thread is the attempts you've made to make things right face to face whith those whom you 'offended'. I truly believe you are sorry. I dont think most people believe jf is really sorry. Her actions to me were traiterous (sp?). What she did actually can be documented to have hurt American soldiers, and greatly benefitted our enemy at the time. Disliking what the government does and taking prudent action is how we change things. Its the American way. Whats not American is to assist the enemy in time of war. She has not paid any official pennance. And I think that is what a lot of people, especially Vets have a hard time with. By not doing anything to her, the govt has let these men and women down for a second time. And they progect that back on to her. She doesnt seem all that bothered by it. It seems odd her most animated apologies have come at a time when she is selling a book and movie. Seems somewhat opportunistic, at least to me. You, on the other hand, seem to have almost 'beaten yourself to death' trying to make amends.

So, Brother T, I applaud not only your sincerety in maturing and trying to make things right, but in your abitlity to believe in others. Even her.

Dan

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Yes, these last posts are more the slant I was after. Whenever a birthday hits, a friend dies (and for some reason I took "new friend" Doug's death especially hard)* or some other major milestone, then like P95Carry I get on a thought and nothing derails me.

I attest this to the premise that I have not yet dealt with and solved this particular problem. Be it guilt, lack of caring or empathy, my mind re-visits the issue. And so it is here. I believe my track at this time is guilt.

For you Shakespeare fans, the phrase "Out damned spot" during a hand-washing comes to mind. I have a "spot" that's guilt.

Coupled with issues like this, the fact that baby boomers are in every facet of my life and this war was probably the singular train-wreck of most of our lives, the debate (in our hearts) just won't go away.

I was struck by something last night. I went to get a magazine at Border's, and usually now it is knife related because that is my business. I happened to see a few Civil War magazines, and odd as it sounds, proponents of that war still debate strategies, politics, failures of generals, the importance of Spencer rifles, Lincoln's part, McClellan's battlefield plan, Pickett's Charge, the entire spectrum.

Near by are the Vietnam magazines. There is an eerie similarity. You can almost envision 100 years from now, if the Lord tarries, debates on The Tonkin Gulf Initiative, The Ho Chi Minh Trail, bungee guns and criticisms of the early M-16 rifles, akin to questions of those lever action Spencers.

I don't think you can stop this. I cannot blunt the fallout of Hunter Thompson's book on the Angels. My decision is the journey inward, the only thing I can control.

"Forgive" JF is something I also have trouble with, as well. I see the same gun implacement picture and wince as I remember my own life. But unless I come to terms with it, my guess is that those concerns will visit me again in the future. I believe writing this out aided me somehow.

And in so doing, I hope that I have not created a problem for anyone else.

*It was the first biker funeral I had attended in years.

Assistant Administrator
    I very much doubt you have Tourist - I must be missing something if I did not feel that I am amongst some very civil and honorable folks here - proud if you like to be associating with y'all.

No one has to be as old as me to be mature!!! In fact as an aside - I have come across some guys of maybe a mere 19 or 20 years old - with better heads on their shoulders than a lot of older folk! That always gives me hope and encouragement.

This type of subject is in some ways ''cathartic'' - not only as a means of expressing self but even more so because of the shared views, feelings and opinions of others. It is an enriching process IMO.

Oh and - Tourist - that dread thing ''guilt'' - it is a wicked thing to bear and I carry my share but have to balance that against the fact that I value my conscience - without it I would be a hollow shell! What is that phrase? ''No pain - no gain?!!"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    Tourist, you've not created any problems here and I hear where you're coming from. I think everyone has those thoughts and wanting to resolve things as we get older. Although I have some shameful things I may have done years ago, I feel no everyday "guilt" about them and you shouldn't either. People do change and everyone knows that. With that, I doubt you should concern yourself with personal apologies to all those you may have slightedd in your past. I bet with most of them, it's a bigger deal to you than it is to them.

If anyone asks we can attest that you confessed to us and we forgave ya. "Out damned guilt!"
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    I'll give you a parallel. As a young boy I watched WWII veterans go to historic places and meet German soldiers. I waited for them to begin killing them. I was confused when they embraced.
    Please do not compare an "American" who has willfully become a traitor to her country to soldiers who could not help what country they were born and drafted in. While the veterans of former enemy nations can come together in peace, knowing that they were just pawns in their politicians' chess game, Jane Fonda was a civilian who had the luxury of deciding what side she wanted to be on. My father won't be stretching his hand out to her.

Unwillingness to forgive has nothing to with being holier than thou. Some mistakes are such that they are unforgiveable. I've forgiven plenty, but there's a nice, short list of unforgiveables, too. I don't stew over them or condemn them every time I see them. I will just remember, and I will never forgive, because forgiving makes what the other person did okay. Sometimes we pay a permanent price for hurting others.

In turn, I'm not spotless. I treat others the best I can, and try to make amends to those I've hurt undeservedly. Some people may never forgive me, but that's life. I can't continue to punish myself as a way to make amends - I can only strive to not do to another person what I did to hurt the last.

I had a friend who was a Viet Nam vet. He could never get over the killing he had done there, and dwelled upon it until the day he died. I think he hardly knew a moment's peace - it ate at his mind until his body crumbled.

Since Jane Fonda has not paid for her "mistakes" through the legal system, she can pay by having her freedom, paid for by the blood of those she betrayed, but she will enjoy that freedom with a stain that will never wash out, wherever she turns.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I had a better day today.

An elder of my church, and his wife, celebrate their wedding anniversary on the same day as my wife and I celebrate my birthday. As a surprise, they took us to Biaggio's on Madison's west side.

I asked the waitor to just prepare me chicken sauted in butter and garlic and served over buttered angel hair. They serve a selection of breads, which you dip into a blend of olive oil and grated cheese. I had am amaretto cappuccino for desert. For some odd reason, I enjoy Sicilian food.

I sat and laughed with friends. I think this was achieved partially by my contributions here.

So what does this thread have to do with Italian cruisine? Simply that I have to deal with the bad, if only "a bigger deal" personally, and then make room for the good. I ask your advice and guidance, but once the door is open, I must live my life, reaping the rewards or lashes.

Several dozen teenage prom celebrateers entered the restaurant, bursting with youthful, and innocent, exuberance. My wife looked up, smiling, and said, "I never went to my prom--Chico was already away at college." Simpler times, and our entire life ahead.

Sorrows, joys, and cruisine. Quite a birthday.

Hey Bumpy!!!

I think Tman deserves his own area. Ya know, the man in full of wisdom, experience, and quality opinions. Maybe somethin like: Tourist's Corner or
    A Vistit With Tourist.
    A forum area where he can roam free. I love to read this guy' s thoughts on guns, girls, bikes, ...life in general.
    Give it some thought.

Dan

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner
    I think Tman deserves his own area. Ya know, the man in full of wisdom, experience, and quality opinions. Maybe somethin like: Tourist's Corner or A Vistit With Tourist.

A forum area where he can roam free. I love to read this guy' s thoughts on guns, girls, bikes, ...life in general.
    Give it some thought.
    That's weird, I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I'll have to give that some thought.
    Bumper

Assistant Administrator
    I'd go with that too! ''T'' has initiated much thinking and whilst philosophy is hardly a direct CCW tool - it does provoke thought - often actually very useful thought. Maybe it IS part of CCW in fact - the way we think and deal with life is very relevant.

Those who go to THR may have seen threads/posts by ''sm'' - Steve is in a similar category - he writes in a way most enjoy and makes folks think, out of the box too. Not everyone can do this.

''Tourist's Corner'' - a place to exchange thoughts on life, love and - gettin' older!.
    Sorrows, joys, and cruisine. Quite a birthday.
    Yep - quite a birthday - sounds good.
    Chris - P95

DC Founder
    I like his Tourist's posts as well, but something Betty once told me jarred me back to reality when I had a "women's forum". She said sometimes it was like implying that women had a place of their own and that was where they should stay. I think maybe it might be better to keep things going like they are now. I'm afraid we would then have two general "off topic" areas to mess with. We'll just let Tourist post his philosophical posts with the rest of us.
    Bumper

Assistant Administrator
    No sweat Bumper - you da boss!!
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    The thought of three times the beef, bikes and bichons was making me wince in terror.

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Now hold it, girl, do you think a 'room of my own' would feed into my already meglomanic ego, my whimsical memory, the meandering prose and the endless speculation on a world run by Sonny Barger?

Ah, you're probably right. It would be like a hot and cold mescal fluid drip, fed by a large gauge needle.

Besides, now I can act like a 600 pound leviathon chrome ninja, wondering and striking as the wind sways.

I have no desire to be important. I don't like those guys, and the threat of becoming one chills my self-image as a working stiff. Besides, it's lonely at the top.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links