Real-Estate Agents Please Help

This is a discussion on Real-Estate Agents Please Help within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm asking for help from any one in real-estate to lend a little assistance, my wife was let go from her job on Wed, so ...

Thread: Real-Estate Agents Please Help

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

I'm asking for help from any one in real-estate to lend a little assistance, my wife was let go from her job on Wed, so we are looking at new opportunities, the housing market in this area is pretty strong, but we are needing to know what is the best way to get into the field.

Is there a preferred source for training on a national level, or should she try to get in with a real-estate company, then have them direct her to the training, and onto the testing for a license. Would she have to have her license before she can start working for a real-estate company?

How long does it take on average to go from outside of the filed, to licensed and able to handle her own listings. She is very smart, and learns very quickly, so I would have no doubts that her getting prepared for the testing would be on the upper end of the curve.

Thanks in advance
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

College courses, pass real estate test and you may get hired.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Understand that my knowledge of Real Estate licensing is based on Texas law, so it may vary in Virginia. But alot of it is similar.

1. I think as with any career the best way to get into it is do your research (which looks like you are starting), do some interviews with the best in town to see what they like about the job and what they don't like about the job. Look into the different types of real estate. Your wife may find out that she likes commercial real estate and not residential. There are benefits and disadvantages to both. I like commercial real estate because my clients usually only need help Mon - Fri during business hours whereas when you sell homes your clients will need to be helped after hours and on weekends and you are at their beck and call.

2. It really doesn't matter who you utilize for the training in my opinion, especially if you are smarter than the average bear. When I got my license, I took all the coursework on-line. The on-line courses usually take longer than actually sitting in a classroom however the on-line courses offer more flexibility. The number of hours varies from state to state, I think Virginia is 60 hours of classroom time where Texas is 210. You will also have continuing education credits that will need to be taken each year.

3. In Texas you can begin working for a real estate company prior to taking your course but you cannot involve yourself with any work involving pricing, advice or negotiations involving real estate (for example, you could answer phones or greet people at open houses).

4. I would call several of the real estate companies in your area and see who they use for training or respect in the area. Your local Assocation of Real Estate agents will also be helpful to you in giving information.

5. How long it takes her to become licensed is up to her abilities and the bureaucracy in your state. I would say two months would be a good baseline however.

Hope that helps somewhat. If you guys have any more questions, please feel free to pm. Tell your wife good luck and hope it all works out for the best!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Links