About boats...

About boats...

This is a discussion on About boats... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does anybody on this forum know about personal boats? I've just earned my Boat Safety Certificate and am now interested in getting a fairly good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About boats...

About boats...

Does anybody on this forum know about personal boats?

I've just earned my Boat Safety Certificate and am now interested in getting a fairly good year-round starter boat. (by year round I mean having the ability to go boating past the usual season)

After months of research I'm currently looking at the Trophy 2359 Hardtop walkaround.
    http://www.thesaltydog.com/search/viewListing44603.aspx

Note: Will probably be kept in the water most of the year.

Any thoughts?
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

Welcome to boating. Remember the happiest day of a boater is the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells it. I have a 2006 FourWinns 180 horizion, it works for down here, doing the usual island hopping and drinking tours.

http://www.goboatingamerica.com/main.asp

Thats a good place to start.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Well, I lived aboard and cruised for 12 years. Supported myself as a itinerant shipwright. Owned a boat repair yard after that and worked as a marine surveyor.

PM me if you want to talk more but that Trophy wouldn't make a bad start if it passes a good survey. My personal preference is against outdrive equipped boats but some people like them. If you keep it in the water keep up the drive maintenance religiously and beware corrosion problems!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

EL Cruisr,

Can you explain what you mean about out drives? I've had them in the past and were good engines, kept the maintainance up but they seemed to get the lower units knocked off every 3-4 seasons when a lake is down.

I am actually looking at boats again too, Probably won't get another one until the season is over this year but want to be ready for next season if I find one that fit's what I want.

I know inboards have come a very long way from the old ones where they left a boater stranded at the dock while the I/O's were out having fun.

Anyway, just wanted to here some about inboards and what you are reffering to about the outboards. I think I already know but it's always good to hear another view point

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Actually there's nothing wrong with inboards or outboards it's the inboard/out drive combination I dislike for leave in the water service. They are fine on boats that live on trailers, in fact that's what they are really best at. When left in the water they are very subject to galvanic corrosion problems. Aluminum case, stainless prop and shaft mixed with the leaky electrical systems on the dock and surrounding boats have destroyed more outdrives than I can count.

In salt water service it was not unusual for our mechanics to have to replace out drive housings every 5 years or so, a pricey job! The zincs don't do such a great job of protection and a Mercathode system is great as long as it is monitored for proper operation. When they fail I've seen them wreck a drive in a few months.

I, personally, prefer either a straight inboard or a straight outboard system. Both have good and bad points but are less complicated and less maintenance intensive if you keep the boat for a long time. Even so, there are a lot of good boats out there running around with I/O setups. Just understand what you're getting and try to tailor it to the intended use or understand the potential repairs.

A fast way to stave off trouble is to have the slip checked for stray current between electrical ground on the dock and the boat to the water. A good multimeter can do it with the negative lead in the water and the positive on the ground contact. You want less than .3 volts AC and DC. More is automatic trouble!

BTW a great resource if you own a boat is Nigel Calder's "Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual". Tons of good info and worth the price.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lol - I can't tell you much except don't do what I did:
    I once dropped an old small speedboat in the water, parked the trailer, came back to the boat in anticipation only to find the boat taking on water...Genius me had taken out the plug earlier and forgot to put the plug back in the boat. Good thing she was always good at starting the first time. Ended up pulling out of the dock at full throttle trying to get the water to run back out the plughole (and yes it worked thanks) . Panic is a bad thing. Don't do it. So yes, even if you don't have a good builge pump (or one at all in my case at the time), you can empty the boat of water rather rapidly if it's not tooo full.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Lol - I can't tell you much except don't do what I did:
    I once dropped an old small speedboat in the water, parked the trailer, came back to the boat in anticipation only to find the boat taking on water.
    Ah, the shame! Actually, I did the same thing with my first boat. Despite having a small bilge pump I was so far down I exercised the same option to hasten drying out!

About the engine this peticular boat comes with, is it any good?
    Mercury seems to be standard for this boat model.

What are some of the pros and cons of gas and diesel engines? (cost, performance, etc.)
    If anti-gun legislators truly believed that guns kill people, the guns would be on the witness stand and the assailent would be holding the "Exhibit A" sign.

I went from a deck boat to a fish & ski to a large Marinette cruiser. We were fresh water only but had our share of problems. The aluminum hull on the Marinette had a serious galvanic corrosion problem that we never could pin down the source of.

It was an awful lot of fun. It was also an awful lot of time and money.

Does it get really cold where you're going to be? Does the engine use sea water for cooling? We could go year round as long as the bay where the marina was didn't freeze (which was rare) but we'd have to have some sort of constant heat source in the bilge to keep the engine water coolant intakes and the manifolds from freezing. Wouldn't bother with the drinking water system... we'd just drain it, RV antifreeze it, and bring bottled with us in the winter.

Wheel-man, it looks like your boat has one engine? With a boat that size, you may wish you had twins. Two engines makes it a lot easier to maneuver in tight spaces. Also nice to have a backup in case one fails.

Oh, and definitely +1 on getting a survey.

A friend and I were just talking about boats recently and he told me about a little book of advice he once read. One of the things it said was, "Resist the urge to buy a boat." There's some wisdom in that. I no longer have the Marinette and my next boat will probably be a canoe.

I used to have a runabout for fishing, sight seeing, and skiing. I found that every time we took the boat out someone wanted to ski. So, I got a ski boat and moved to where the weather is skiable most of the year.
    Attached Images

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I'd much rather be flying a manta ray than skiing... but that's just me.

Administrator
    The Manta Ray looks like to much fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What about a full outboard Trophy?

This is the one I was looking at before the 2359 hardtop:

2000 Trophy Walkaround 2002 DX/LX
    http://www.irwinmarinenj.com/searche...r=DESC&page=1&

To be honest this one will be easier to aquire. (The dealer is closer to where I live)

Chooie: That manta ray does look fun.

Manzanita: Winters in my area can be quite harsh and reach record lows.

VIP Member

About boats...

As long as there isn't ice on the water, boats work ok . The problem is to get all the water out of the engine during down time in freezing temps as it will cause damage when it freezes. I've run mine in thin ice, but, care must be taken not to damage the hull. If you let it set up for the winter, be sure and winterize the engine, see dealer or owners manual. Also put the trailer up on blocks if you can and spin the wheels periodically to keep the grease working in the wheel bearings.

I'd like to have a boat but, after having been in the Navy for 8 years I know how much trouble they can be. I might get one one day but not right now.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links