Inmate shoots guard on University of Utah Campus

This is a discussion on Inmate shoots guard on University of Utah Campus within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is why I carry a gun when I go to school. I walk through the University Hospital complex where this guy initially escaped almost ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inmate shoots guard on University of Utah Campus

Inmate shoots guard on University of Utah Campus

This is why I carry a gun when I go to school. I walk through the University Hospital complex where this guy initially escaped almost every day.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6224267

Neo-Nazi inmate kills guard at hospital, steals SUV before being nabbed at fast food restaurant
    By Russ Rizzo and Nate Carlisle
    The Salt Lake Tribune
    Article Last Updated: 06/25/2007 01:48:08 PM MDT
    Updated: 1:14 PM- A fast food restaurant customer helped end the brief, bloody escape of a convict who allegedly shot and killed his guard at University of Utah Medical Center this morning then led police on a high-speed chase.

Corrections spokesman Jack Ford says 27-year-old Curtis Michael Allgier was taken to the hospital's orthopedic unit about 7:45 a.m. for undisclosed treatment. Somehow, he got the officer's firearm and shot him in the head. The officer, 22-year Corrections veteran Stephen Anderson, 60, of Bluffdale, died at the scene.

Allgier, whose face is covered in tattoos, then carjacked a nearby blue Ford SUV, forcing its occupants out at gunpoint.

Scott Folson, director of public safety for the university, said Allgier, complaining of lower back pain, had been scheduled for an MRI at the U.'s orthopedic center this morning. The prisoner and the corrections officer were alone together in an exam room next to the MRI machine at the time of the shooting, he said.

The university contracts with the state prison system to treat inmates.

"It's pretty much a daily occurrence for inmates to be transferred to the orthopedic center or main hospital," Folson said.

Tom Patterson, executive director of the Department of Corrections, said usually only one corrections officer accompanies a prisoner to the hospital, and it appeared procedure was followed in this case.

Since metal cannot be used in the MRI machine, it's likely Allgier's metal shackles were removed and he was placed in plastic cuffs, he said.

Although police knew the suspect had fled in the SUV, the hospital and two nearby buildings were locked down while officers confirmed there was no longer a threat, Folson said.

He said he thinks this is the first homicide in the university's history.

About 45 minutes after the shooting, police were chasing the SUV, with speeds in excess of 100 mph. Several squad cars reportedly were in an accident during the chase, which ended at 1700 South and Redwood Road about 8:25 a.m. not long after police had partially disabled the vehicle with tire spikes. The suspect fled into an Arby's restaurant, the SUV lurching to a stop as he jumped out.

Inside the Arby's, an employee was struck on the head by the suspect. He staggered outside and was dragged away from the restaurant and taken to a hospital, said Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Rich Brede.

Salt Lake City Police Lt. Mike Ross said a 59-year-old Arby's customer is "the hero in this thing. He wrestled the gun away." The man, who did not want to be identified or interviewed by the media for fear of retaliation, fought with the suspect and suffered a cut that required several stitches, Ross said.

By 8:40 a.m., Allgier was found, unarmed -- the gun was found in the restaurant later -- in the manager's office and taken into custody.

Mark Setterman was in his car at the stoplight in the northbound lanes of Redwood Road at 1700 South, when a Ford Explorer -- with a blown right tire and police in pursuit -- came up from behind and drove around him

He said the SUV pulled into the parking lot of the Arby's at the intersection and the driver ran inside.

"They were all over his ass," Setterman said of police. "Probably about 100 of them from the way it looked."

He says that shortly thereafter, police -- many with assault weapons -- removed the man from the Arby's.

Setterman described the driver of the SUV as white and covered in tatoos.

For Shirley Smiley, it was a case of horrific deja vu. She was shopping at downtown Salt Lake City's Trolley Square mall earlier this year when a gunman went on a deadly shooting ramage before being killed by police.

Smiley says she was at the Arby's for breakfast with her husband and 16-year-old son and the three had just exited the restaurant when they heard a "pop" from inside. Seconds later, several police cars pulled in and officers moved in. The family laid down on the parking lot asphalt at officers' orders.

"I was pretty scared," Smiley said. "I'm still in a state of panic."

The assistant manager at the McDonald's next door saw the SUV pull into the Arby's drive-through lane. Homero Lara said he caught a glimpse of someone as they ran inside, then he heard three gunshots.

Lara said he locked all the doors and shut the windows of his restaurant then herded about six customers and 12 employees into the kitchen, where they hid for about half an hour.

McDonald's employee Angelica Basquez was cleaning when she saw the Arby's manager jump out through the drive-through window. She said she saw him and a couple of other people run away.

"Arbys has been robbed in the past, so we thought it was the same thing," Basquez said.

Melodie Rydalch, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office in Salt Lake City, said prosecutors likely will file a federal firearms charge against Allgier. If convicted in state court of the slaying of the officer, a conviction on the federal charge would bring a more severe sentence based on the underlying crime.

Allgier was being considered for transport to a federal facility in the near future, according to the DOC's Patterson.

"This inmate is a bit peculiar in that he has ties to white supremacist organixzations," he said. "And he had had some dynamics there that caused us to be concerned with his own safety [at Utah State Prison]. There had been some fallout from some other supremacists in the prison -- a falling out, so to speak."

2. Remove Ads

Have you seen the pics of this fool?!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3313471

Crazy

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    One word - scum, unmitigated scum. Other descriptions and ''plans'' cannot be written here.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I wonder how he expected to get away...its not like he blends in all that well. I'm sure he will do fine in prison.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I saw him on one of those prison shows MSNBC runs at night, they were discussing prison gangs and he was on representing ABs.

When I saw the news elsewhere I instantly recognized him, he is not easy to forget.

I can only assume he was out to kill someone who put him inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    "This inmate is a bit peculiar in that he has ties to white supremacist organixzations," he said. "And he had had some dynamics there that caused us to be concerned with his own safety [at Utah State Prison]. There had been some fallout from some other supremacists in the prison -- a falling out, so to speak."
    Be a pity if the Nation of Islam got some homies on him, en route. He's got the "51/50", kill the cops, on his face, and not much I can make out on his Iron Crosses, but my guess would be he's a "traditionalist" Aryan, and got into it with with some more "egalitarian" branch.

All that prison ink says only one thing to me, AIDS or Hepatitis C at best...

Whatever else happens I don't see him getting old enough to grow wise.

An obvious deranged *****&o!e.

I was looking for what he was originally in jail for, it was a parole violation. Although he has a criminal record including burglary and weapons charges among other things.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Poster boy for the death penalty.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

That little square between his eyes sure makes a good target - I can picture the crosshairs now. Hope he dies soon.

Look at the acronym on the scumbag's chin. Too bad someone in the restraunt did not off the puke.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3313471

Crazy

- Janq
    I would have left the seatbelt off, and tested the brakes a few times. What scum, I bet his parents are proud!!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

If ever there was a scum bag in dire need of shooting, this is it. I'd bet even the antis out there would agree with that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I sure hope Utah has the death penalty, life in prison is way to good for this scum. If I was the chick who was at Arby's and at the mall shooting, uuuhhh, I think I would be thinking about a CCL soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links