Mr. Six Goes to Washington

This is a discussion on Mr. Six Goes to Washington within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Uhg. I was forced to leave my bastion of dry heat and rational people to head back to Fairfax, VA for this next 7 days. ...

Thread: Mr. Six Goes to Washington

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar

Mr. Six Goes to Washington

Uhg. I was forced to leave my bastion of dry heat and rational people to head back to Fairfax, VA for this next 7 days. Well, being that my carry permit is good here, I brought my weapon with me. Little did I know that would prove to be so... interesting. We'll start with my drive to the airport:

I live quite a bit north of Phoenix, so I've got about a 90 minute drive to the airport from my apartment. No big deal. Well Arizona is famous for its windshield-assassinating rocks. I caught one big enough to shoot a crack across my whole windshield. Yay. I'll have to deal with that when I get home. So I get down into Phoenix and jump the 51 straight-in. Well when I merge onto the freeway to get off at Sky Harbor, there is a cop behind me. Can anyone guess where I'm going with this? LOL Yep. He lights me up and I'm off to the side instantaneously... 1/4 from the exit for the airport!!! Oh the agony!! So close!!!! Well we do our dance about having a weapon locked in the trunk and he asks me why I'm going to the airport with it. I relate my planned journey. He asks me what I carry. He carries the same. Very cool. He writes my a fix-it ticket for mywindshield and sends me on my way with an apology for making me late for the airport.

No big deal. I'm 2 hours early for my flight, anyhow.

Bad weather across most of the mid-west screwed the pooch on flights. And the United flight desk had four people manning it. At 6:30am on a Thursday. The line stretches out of the terminal and spills into the drop-off area outside. I wait for 30 minutes or so in line and it doesn't move. There's a group of stoner teenagers in front of me in line. Remember them. Well eventually a United Rep comes outside and asks me where I'm heading and if I had a connection.

Me: "I'm going to DC on the 8:30. But I also need to declare something."
    Him: "Declare? OH! You have a..? Nevermind. Follow me."

He leads me out of line and straight to the "Special Needs" desk. I wait three more minutes before I have my boarding pass in hand. They ask me to step over and wait in case TSA wants to ogle my firearm. Well theyre slammed and they forget about me. No big deal. My flights delayed two hours anyhow. I'm in no rush. Meanwhile there's trouble at the front desks and the line hasn't moved. I ask a rep if I can leave. She apologizes about my wait and tells me to ask the rep at the gate desk. I thank her and head out on my way.

I wait at the gate. When the lady shows up I am first to the desk. "I need to check and make sure TSA didn't want to screen my bag because I had to declare a firearm." I give her a few details about my bag and my name. She stares at me a moment before I get a "Okay, let me check." The next little bit may keep me from flying United ever again.

She picks up her radio and damned-near shouts into it that "Mister [SixBravo] has a firearm checked in his bag and wants to know if the TSA wanted to screen it. Its a red and black duffel about 4-feet long." My head literally banged on the desk. Now, some may say 'oh well it probably wasnt that loud, it just seemed that loud.' Wrong. I'm not exaggerating. Anyone within 25 feet would have heard it. And indeed, when I tured around, half the people were looking at me like I was crazy.

I move away from the desk and go sit someplace else. Now remember those stoners? Yeah. They finally show up. They're on my flight. They sat in line for three and a half hours.

When we boarded the flight, I sat next to a Lebenese gentleman. He looked at me and laughed when we sat down. He had the sense to have some discretion and asked me in a whisper if I was indeed the one who had been outted by the woman at the desk. It was obvious I was, even though I tried my best to look surprised.

"Well I'm glad I'm sitting next to you. I like you."

We discussed firearms for part of the flight before 'Shooter' came on.

------
    Thoughts?? Man I'm furious with United. However, I do think its funny that by 'going through the hassle' of flying with a firearm, I still managed to save myself from three hours in line. Meh.

I'll be out at Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly tomorrow to take my anti mother shooting. I'll post-up a range report with how THAT goes over.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I haven't flown with a gun since before Sept. 11 2001. Thanks for the info on United, I would hate that a loud mouth would out me.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Assistant Administrator
    Ain't life just sometimes full of fun

Reminds me of Forest - "Life is like a box'o'chocklits - ya never what ya gonna get"!!!

Guess it all worked out Ok in the end. Don't envy you the travelling game - I try and avoid that these days but, at least last time I flew and took a gun it went smooth, without a public declaration from a rep' LOL.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm very patient when it comes to stuff like that P95, but MAN that woman. Grrr. If I didn't think it would delay me longer I would have switched to a different airline.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Distinguished Member
    Six Bravo, you're a good writer. Really. Hey, funny thing. I flew United out of Phoenix three weeks ago and had to declare as well. My agent was cool as a cucumber but she did make a discreet call to baggage to let them know it was coming through. No hassles at all. Luck of the draw, I guess.
    ps. used to live in Fairfax.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I'll be out at Blue Ridge Arsenal in Chantilly tomorrow to take my anti mother shooting. I'll post-up a range report with how THAT goes over.
    No question the ticket agent was a ditz.

BTW, welcome to the Old Dominion
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Links