Bookworms?

Bookworms?

This is a discussion on Bookworms? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I love a good book. Shiny, new books with crisp pages are like hidden treasure chests, ready to be opened, and old, dog-eared, yellow-paged books ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bookworms?

VIP Member

Bookworms?

I love a good book. Shiny, new books with crisp pages are like hidden treasure chests, ready to be opened, and old, dog-eared, yellow-paged books proudly reveal how many times they've been read and enjoyed.

So what are you reading?

Currently, mine is: Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield, about the famous battle of Thermopylae. MOLON LABE! (I also have Frank Miller's graphic novel 300. )

just finished: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. It's 1327 and there's some mysterious murders in an abbey. You may remember the movie with Sean Connery in it. Special bonus points for those who know Latin (I don't) - there's a quite a few passages in it.

toilet read: The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection From The Living Dead by Max Brooks. Hey, you need to be prepared when it hits the fan!

In my "to be read" pile:
    The Island Of The Day Before by Umberto Eco
    the Grail Quest triology The Archer's Tale, Heretic and Vagabond by Bernard Cornwell
    The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
    Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank

Some of my recent favorites have been:
    All the Amy Tan books. I've read them all. I can relate to her books - they are consistently about a Chinese mother who has a cultural gap with her American-born daughter, and the mother recounts the gripping stories of her hard life. So my mom's not Chinese, but boy... can Asian mothers be alike...

Bernard Cornwell's amazing re-write of the Arthurian legends in the trilogy The Winter King, Enemy of God and Excalibur. They're good, fast reads, often hilarious at times, and you'll like how Cornwell has re-created Lancelot. *snicker* There's some decent battle scenes.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

As off right now surprising nothing im usually always reading one or 2 books but lately i cant get into anything

Assistant Administrator
    Older I get - the less time I seem to have (make!) for reading - well novels anyways. Seem to get most pleasure out of short forays into factual stuff - reload manuals - gun mags - Science and tech stuff.

Much enjoy novels gotta say - just never seem to get to them anymore much. Too many irons - in too many fires.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1952 - 2006
    If you want a GREAT murder mystery series of books try John Sandford's "Prey" series. There are 14 books in the series. Out of the literally thousands of books I have read these rank in the top ten. I just wish he had not stopped writing them, but I guess after 5000 pages of one character he wanted to do something new.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    If any of you are into 1960's music, I'm sure you've heard of 'The Moody Blues.' As they move into weapons training, I thought I'd read their fiery bodice ripper aptly entitled "In Search of the Lost Paracord."

I was on the edge of my seat as the climax developed in a Chinese restaurant. The protagonist and the villian got into a food fight with spicy Mandarin chicken. The chapter was entitled "Everybody Was Kung Pow Fighting."

The ending was weak. The hero flees in the rush hour traffic of Ho Chi Minh City and decides to take the highway bi-pass. As he elects to take the off ramp, he laments in the self-defining final chapter, that he will "Miss Saigon."

If you think this is a lousy book, you should see the pre-quil. A team of scientists shrink themselves, go aboard a tiny space craft, latching onto the lymph system to check Arnold Schwarzenegger's prostate. It's called, "Hitch Hiker to Mr. Universe."

I'm up to the part where Arnold channels into the psyche' of Don King. I saw it coming, the title is "I'll be Black."

VIP Member
    When I was driving up the street to my townhome, I saw a couple big, scary bikers at the entrance to the driveway. I could've sworn you'd finally hunted me down.. and brought backup. :vikings11

"Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

I try to read one to two books per month. Like P95, I tend to go more into factual stuff rather than fiction. Every once in a while, though, I'll pick up a novel a read for entertainment rather than trying to learn - it's a mental vacation I guess.

Among my many vices is a tendency to buy more books than I should. I always have a supply of untouched books that I picked up a Barnes & Noble or Border's; it seems that I buy them faster than I read them.

I'm working on "Combative Fundamentals" by Jeff Gonzalez at the moment. Next on the agenda: "Red Scorpion" (the WWII patrols of the submarine USS Rasher) by Peter Sasgen (a Border's buy). I'm also slogging through the "9/11 Report," which is interesting at times, but the descriptions of bureaucracy are mind numbing. I'm not giving up, though, as I feel a patriotic obligation to read it.

I recently found my copy of Dale Carnegie's classic "How to Win Friends and Influence People," which I need to re-read. I think the title of this work is misleading, as it sounds to me like a manual on manipulation. It is, in fact, a treatise on getting along with people. From what I remember, it interesting as well as educational.

SSKC

Betty,

Hunted you down? My dear woman, why should you fear bikers? I'm the one spooking at shadows and sniffing the air for Asian beef!

But speaking of books, have you ever read Hunter S. Thompson's book on the Angels?

Fear? Heck, every once in a while, a biker I know disappears. No biggee. We're a fluid branch of society. We come, we go. But I've always wondered. Knowing you, Betty, ties up a lot of loose ends.

Bikers. Gone in a wisp.

"Hey, little girl, got any money for gas?"

"Yes, fi'e dolla." (tee-hee)

Currently re-reading The Count Of Monte Christo.
    Also re-reading the Anita Blake series, by Laurell K Hamilton.
    In addition, I'm working my way through Atlas Shrugged for the 2nd time.
    What I read depends on my mood. Anita Blake is good bedtime stuff for me. If I fall asleep, the story is easy to pick up again.
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

DC Founder
    I haven't been reading much lately (not near as much as I like) but I have always read in binges for some reason. I will develop a hunger and read 5 or 6 books in rapid succession and then stagnate for quite awhile. As I get older it seems to be getting longer between these binges....
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    "Hey, little girl, got any money for gas?"
    "Yes, fi'e dolla." (tee-hee)
    Twenty dolla give you gas long time.

I prefer historical fictions - you get a history lesson without feeling like you're getting a history lesson.

Twenty dolla give you gas long time.
    This is no incentive to a guy who just 'sat on a camera.'

I know how you feel about the issue of historical fiction. For example, no motorcycle club that I know of has inter-galactic trasportation.

Having said that, I have enjoyed several viewings (now in wide screen HDTV) of the documetary movie called "Biker Chicks in Space."

Oh, the intricacies in story-line, the character development, the irony of the space suits, seemingly designed for strenuous protection and yet assembled with delicate thread--this Fellini like footage has it all.

And talk about 'wanting to be there,' need I say more...

Let's see. Mysteries - I've been reading the Chronicles of Isaac of Gerona series by Caroline Roe - mysteries set in 14th century Catalunya. A new volume just came out. An in historical fic, a re-read of Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. In science fiction, I've been reading the Foreigner series by C. J. Cherryh. In non-fic, Care of the Racing Greyhound.

I only get to read for a few minutes a night, though, so it takes forever to finish anything. Mostly, I'm writing, these days.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Time for a new book

Last 'new' book I read was "LA Confidential". Movie was better. Been flipping through "Count of Monte Cristo" for some time now, same for "Atlas Shrugged". Kinda waiting for the next M. Cruz Smith to come out on paperback.

Been thinking of snagging some Shakespeare for some reason as well...

Agree with the too busy as I age.....I just wait for the movie.
    "Endeavor To Persevere"
    Chief Dan George

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links