So You're Ready For The Apocalypse But....

This is a discussion on So You're Ready For The Apocalypse But.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With all the talk of zombies attacks or other SHTF stuff, I wonder how far everyone here goes to protect themselves from the more likely ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So You're Ready For The Apocalypse But....

Administrator

With all the talk of zombies attacks or other SHTF stuff, I wonder how far everyone here goes to protect themselves from the more likely things that can ruin or end lives. I understand that this forum is for gun talkin' so the topic is going to revolve around guns and the common thoughts of self defense. There is a whole other kind of self defense to think about too.

What I'm talking about is stuff like selecting a safe vehicle for your family, defensive driving know how, CO2 and smoke alarms, precautions to avoid illnesses or even less important things like keeping a emergency kit handy for storms, or prepping a shelter in case of tornado or other event like that. The list could go on forever.
    How about if a spouse dies and we are dependant on their income? Or a long term illness? That could send a lot of us into a tail spin.

A lot of us spent a lot of time and money preparing for a event that may or may not happen, how many of us have prepared for the events that will happen at some time or another?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've taken defensive driving, first aid and cpr courses, as well as intimately learning the threshold of various vehicles in a skidpad environment - not to mention growing up in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. Winter driving is a pastime of mine - I still have a set of H rated, studded Pirelli snow tires for my GTI. We have alarms/detectors and fire extinguishers. I prefer a smaller, nimble vehicle - until recently, that role was filled by my VW GTI, Golf, and Jetta. Now, I drive a Lincoln LS. It has good power, RWD, 50/50 weight distribution, side airbags... and it handles like a dream. Although it's larger than I was used to, it's still no larger than your average midsize car, like an Accord.

We don't have children yet, but the main criteria my wife and I used when shopping to replace my VWs as daily driver was safety. The LS was new enough to have LATCH restraints and top hooks, but inexpensive enough that I'm paying less than $200 a month on it. That makes the finances easier to handle, and it's also a low theft car, so we get an insurance break.

I'd like to think that we are reasonably able to handle what gets thrown at us, but I don't think there will ever be a time that we can say, "I don't think there's anything else to learn or do to prepare." There's ALWAYS something you can learn or brush up on. If you're Bear Grylls incarnate, then you may need to brush up on urban survival or domestic preparedness. There's no such thing as too prepared.

We've got Smoke/CO2 detectors, The wife and kids get lugged around in a minivan, so its relatively safe.

My part of town never gets any 'cool' natural disasters.. a blizzard every couple years is about it..and with the Jeep, we're good there if/when we need to go out in inclement weather. So we don't really have any kind of 'storm' kit.

I think we're pretty well covered for day to day "normal" problem situations. The biggest problem would be loss of my job, as we (like most people) are pretty much paycheck to paycheck, without lots of savings..

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I have been waiting for this thread to start as I am also interested in what ideas people have for 'big picture' self-defense...

When you recognize something as being generally risky or destructive, such as smoking cigarettes, quit!

How about taking a roundabout way to work just to avoid poorly designed roads or dangerous traffic? There is a highway around here that leads to my favorite gun shop. Every time I drove there, it seemed that I narrowly escaped being rear-ended by inattentive drivers. Now I come in from the other side of town...

VIP Member
    My most obvious SHTF is a hurricane. Besides guns and ammo: Hurricane kit almost replenished to my standard but still lacking some stuff mostly confort items like 12V fans. Hurricane shutters ready long time ago, at least 3 battery operated radios, one 12V TV, bottled water for drinking for 5 days in stock plus enough containers to fill with more water for 5 more days. Since I live next to a lake, water for hygiene is taken care off. Food is at a minimun for 5 days and will buy more if we have a hurricane coming. Tools & Tarps also at the ready. A generator that was recently checked and oil changed and 5 jerry cans for gas. Two boat 12V batteries and a battery charger. Car lights rigged for perimeter illumination. Carbon Monoxide detector (Not CO2) to be placed at the entrance nearest the generator in case of use. House is wired for Fire Alrms and tested every month. Wife is in charge of the money so I know we are OK there (Cash between $200 and $500 plus checkbook, CCs and DCs) Meds a supply of a month. And I forget what else..... oh hell, Cats! Food (soft & hard) for them for a month plus their cases (Basically if we have to bug out, they are the first one inside the truck according to my wife, and they both hate anything vehicular) bowls, baby wipes and their sand.
    I am still trying to get a decent first aid kit set up that makes me confortable.
    On the list to obtain: portable CB radio and more LED lamps.
    I know I am missing to mention more stuff in my kit......
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I don't maintain an exact schedule and I vary the route I drive to/from work. I am constantly aware and plan as if things are going to happen right then. I've got a decently stout AWD car with space, a bugout bag, basic survival/car/wilderness tools and emergency supplies, access to cash and non-cash items both inside and outside the bank. Have firearms and ammo accessible where needed. Have fire/CO2 alarms. Have valuables safely protected, copied. Have good insurance. Have good relations with family, in case everying falls apart.

That covers basic personal disasters and even moderately nasty regional ones. However, anything that disrupted the entire city (a la 2005's Hurricane Katrina, in New Orleans) would be a pain. Couldn't survive well for a month without power. Could easily survive a couple/three months with existing food and water stores. In a pinch, I could walk away from the house with just the bugout bag and be fine, even if it meant going cross-country to settle in a new area.

So, I suppose that's reasonably well prepared.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I'm talking about the everyday things that can threaten your well being that perhaps we donít even think about anymore. We are focused on the "big dance" that most likely wont happen, but do we think about things like car crashes, tornados, illness, job loss, a death in the family. All these things can happen any day with out notice.
    I'm just wondering if those of us who have prepared for the unlikely have prepared for what will happen, its just a matter of time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, we bought a new mini van less than a year ago. We bought the KIA Sedona because it got the highest crash rating. It has airbags all around and shoulder/lap belts for every seat. 100,000 mile warranty and a very high customer satisfaction rating.
    First aid kit in all 3 cars.
    Smoke detectors in every room of the house, even the garage.
    Fire extinguishers in the kitchen, all 3 bathrooms, the laundry room (a room most over look but is very fire prone due to dryer lint being extremely combustible) and the garage.
    CO2 alarms, one down stairs and one upstairs.
    Good locks on the doors and windows.
    Life insurance for me and the wife.
    As far as trying to avoid illness, we do what we can. And since I have gotten in shape, I don't get sick nearly as much as I used to. Not even close.
    Still some things to do to be a bit safer but, it is a work in permanent progress you know? You can always think of something else you can make better.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

The most likely here is hurricane, and we always keep enough food and batteries stored so when the warning comes we don't have to fight the crowds at Home Depot anf the grocery store.

we made it through the eye wall of Charley in '04 and were living like the 1800s for 13 days without commercial power. Of course we had a generator and fuel, so after the 2nd day we were set, but it took a lot of work and our extended family became like a commune.

Day 1 yo just concentrate on the essentials of Maslows Heirarchy, water, food , shelter.

Aftet that, just try to get things back to normal.

For everyday stuff, i have and alarm system, fire extingushers, smoke alarms, seatbelts, and airbags.

My most important daily survival essential is my mustard seed.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    Sixto good thread idea.

Since I started the Survival Battery thread I guess I better answer here.

Long term disability and life insurance for me and my wife. Carbon monoxide, smoke and natural gas detectors in house. Small storm shelter (old furance/coal room) Safest car we can afford, always compare consumer saftey rateings on Consumer Reports. fire exstinghers in house and cars. Cars have breakdown kits (E-tool, blankets, jumper cables, spare tire and fix a flat, small tool kit, small first aid kit) I'm trained in CPR, First Aid (thank you taxpayers) and must be current.

In a big diaster (hurricane hitting Alabama) I work emergency shelters maintaning sanitation. So I try to have the house stocked for my wife when I'm gone.

Got to feed my son, I'll have to post more later.
    Last edited by pgrass101; July 1st, 2007 at 02:23 PM.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm talking about the everyday things that can threaten your well being that perhaps we donít even think about anymore. We are focused on the "big dance" that most likely wont happen, but do we think about things like car crashes, tornados, illness, job loss, a death in the family. All these things can happen any day with out notice.
    I'm just wondering if those of us who have prepared for the unlikely have prepared for what will happen, its just a matter of time.
    Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment"

The physical life will end.
    More importantly, what have we done to prepare for what will not end?
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dimmak View Post
    Hebrews 9:27 "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment"

The physical life will end.
    More importantly, what have we done to prepare for what will not end?
    Ahh, good question. A little deeper than what I was going for, but good question.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    With all the talk of zombies attacks or other SHTF stuff, I wonder how far everyone here goes to protect themselves from the more likely things that can ruin or end lives. I understand that this forum is for gun talkin' so the topic is going to revolve around guns and the common thoughts of self defense. There is a whole other kind of self defense to think about too.

What I'm talking about is stuff like selecting a safe vehicle for your family, defensive driving know how, CO2 and smoke alarms, precautions to avoid illnesses or even less important things like keeping a emergency kit handy for storms, or prepping a shelter in case of tornado or other event like that. The list could go on forever.
    How about if a spouse dies and we are dependant on their income? Or a long term illness? That could send a lot of us into a tail spin.

A lot of us spent a lot of time and money preparing for a event that may or may not happen, how many of us have prepared for the events that will happen at some time or another?
    It is much more fun to prep for zombie attacks

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It is much more fun to prep for zombie attacks
    I agree.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    A big pat on the back for this post, Sixto. I have 6 fire alarms and CO2 detectors/ both hardwired and battery operated. We keep water in used plastic gallon milk jugs, food for a couple of weeks, lots of extra prescription medicine, flashlights, some oil lamps, and plenty of propane for the outdoor grill.

We could go without city services for several days. Because it is beastly hot where I live, and central ACs always die on the hottest day of the year, we keep a couple of window units on the patio.

There is no end to what one might do to prepare for all the imaginary disasters that could befall us. And weapons for protection are just a small part of looking out for ourselves and our families. You are right to allude to things like life insurance, and other forms of income protection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links