my new home security

my new home security

This is a discussion on my new home security within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I brought home my new home security/workout partner this past Thursday. I picked up Lilly, a 1 yr old pitbull from the SPCA. Her ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my new home security

my new home security

Well, I brought home my new home security/workout partner this past Thursday. I picked up Lilly, a 1 yr old pitbull from the SPCA. Her owners left her when they moved out of the country. She seemed to be pretty well socialized with people(she was raised in a family with two kids supposedly) and some other dogs so I thought it'd be ok to take her on. She's been really good with family and with the neighbors so far.

It's pretty clear though that the previous owner must have tied/tethered her down a lot. I wanted to get some work done putting up a fence in the backyard so I brought her out with me and was going to tether her to a 50' line tied down close to me. She went BONKERS as soon as she saw me trying to clip on that long line. She wouldn't settle down until I dropped it and even then wouldn't come anywhere in the vicinity of it. Funny thing is she's MORE than fine with her leash. It's like she loves everything in the world when I put on the leash.

Other than that it's been a good transition. She's already taken over as guardian of the house. Only real problem is that it doesn't appear that they obedience trained her. I've finally got her walking on a leash good with not too many problems(although the occassional deer sighting doesn't go well). I guess the next step is to get us into obedience school!
    Attached Images
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Nice lookin dog.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    That's some good looking security there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I'm sure she is a good watch dog but I am really not a fan of the Pit Bull. I think they are a dangerous breed. Too many stories out there about them turning on their owners or their kids with not provocation. Also seem to hear about CCW holders having to shoot them an awful lot.

I would not have one, but that's just me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

JD
    Administrator
    I recall hearing a lot of the same thing about the Doberman breed, that was then this is now. Most of the bad dogs I've heard about were owned by bad people...

Nice addition to the family!

A good bit of truth to that JD.

As I said though, they just aren't right for me and my family. Too much of a liability.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I recall hearing a lot of the same thing about the Doberman breed, that was then this is now. Most of the bad dogs I've heard about were owned by bad people...!
    JD, you are right on the nail. I well aware of all the horror stories during the 70's and early 80's regarding Dobbies and how vicious and treacherous they are. I had 3 and they were smart, sensitive and very faithful BUT I took my time training them during their first year, every day for an average of 40 minutes: 20 mins when puppies and up to an hour after 6 months. I would take any of my dobbies for a walk without a leash and they wouldn't leave my side no matter what and unless allowed to do it. My last dog was actually trained in two languages! After i got married and my last Dobbie passed away from old age, I got a puppy who got parvo and almost died. My wife was on his sick bed feeding him by hand for three months until he managed to recover which was short of a miracle. He was smart and since we spoke english at home, he got trained that way. My wife and I decided to take a week off and went on a trip leaving the care of the dog to my spanish speaking parents that lived next door. When we got back they complained that the dog would not understand them so I had to retrain him in Spanish.
    One thing I did notice, once a Dobberman learned something, it would never forget it. We also had German and Belguim shepperds that had to be re trained every so often.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Good training (and often ) should help immensely. dogs that are not trained, or trained poorly often revert to instinctive actions.
    Nice looking dog Packin'.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Beautiful looking dog sir.

TN_Mike, my sister-in-law works for animal control and has three or four pit bulls. Two of which I know she got from work. With decent training attention and love these are really nice decent animals. Keep them in pens and mistreat them and they're nasty animals that will eventually need to be put down.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Administrator
    A good dog or three are the best home security one could ask for.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Dogs are the best burglar alarms you can buy
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

very pretty dog

with lots of love and training she will be a wonderful part of your family :)

~Teg

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I'm sure she is a good watch dog but I am really not a fan of the Pit Bull. I think they are a dangerous breed. Too many stories out there about them turning on their owners or their kids with not provocation. Also seem to hear about CCW holders having to shoot them an awful lot.

I would not have one, but that's just me.
    Yeah I've heard that a lot (especially in the last few days). I am however, convinced that a dog will act the way it is trained, or in some cases not trained. I've had some issues to work out with her (since the owner clearly didn't obedience train her), but she's getting the idea down. I've got her walking on a leash good and she already likes EVERYONE(she pretty much licked/slobbered my sister and BIL to death). The only issues right now are other animals. She'll bark at other dogs, but once I introduce them she seems ok and just ignores them. Deer on the other hand...that's a whole new playing field. It's pretty obvious the prey drive kicks in the instant she sees a deer and there are LOTS around my home. She's also very "needy" since she was clearly left chained up to a post outside most of the time. The other thing I noticed (especially since she's a pit) is that when she tried to eat a rock the other day (I know she's not the brightest bulb), she wouldn't open her mouth all the way or drop it, but she didn't clamp down either when I stuck my fingers in her jaws to pull the rock out, no growling or snarling or losing of fingers(effectively she let me take it from her).

I will agree though, that this type of dog does NOT belong in a family with YOUNG children unless they are constantly supervised. She's a goof and loves to play, but doesn't know her own strength or when/where to stop.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I have a pair of rescued dalmatians, and constantly hear a lot of the same comments. I have a lot of friends involved in dog rescue, and all of them agree that a dog given a second chance on life is incredibly loyal. As far as constant supervision, the dogs behave fine, it's people I have trouble with. It's amazing that you can tell someone not to pet your dog, and they will tell you "Oh, it's ok, dogs like me", and ignore me.

Home invasion robberies are the new fad crime in my town. I've noticed many of my neighbors lawns have sprouted security system signs lately, but I promise you I sleep better with a dog or two at the foot of the bed, and a Colt at the head.

Congradulations on the new family member, and bravo for saving one from certain death.

+1 for saving a pound puppy.
    +1 for going to a dog as part of security system.

Not so hot on the pitbull breed through. Perhaps it's the OVERWHELMING amount of crappy owners in my area (thugs who think the tough dog makes them tough) who let the dogs roam the neighborhood that has influenced my overall opinion.

We had one attack our Bull Mastiff a few years back. Thankfully, the 140 lb dog was able to at least fight back enough to make it lose interest and run off (uncommon for a pit, but true), but he was really torn up in the process.

Anyway. Treat her well, and stay safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links