Please Read...near Death Exp.

This is a discussion on Please Read...near Death Exp. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I drive a wrecker. The other day I was loading a car on the side of the road and nearly got hit. I seen the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I drive a wrecker. The other day I was loading a car on the side of the road and nearly got hit. I seen the truck coming and when I jumped up on the bed of my truck....he just drove by laughing as we almost traded mirrors.

PLEASE......if you see a tow truck on the side of the road with emergency lights on....slow down and IF AT ALL POSSIBLE..MOVE OVER..I promise that wont lose more that 2 seconds of your time. I dont know that you see me. All I see is 4000+/- pounds of steel heading towards me and chances are the person behind the wheel doesnt give a poop that he will only be a maximum of 2 ft away from me at 70+mph. You only pass me once, I get passed by dozens of vehicles everytime i stop on the side of the road. What if I slip and fall, trip,etc....What if you blow a tire, lose your steering (has happened to me) or something causes you lose controle of your vehicle. There are things that you dont have controle of. I have a family that Loves me and wants me home at night. MOVE OVER

Thanks
    David
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Assistant Administrator
    David - I am one who will give you space - but I am aware that some do not. Quite why those have to cut it so fine I do not know - probably pure thoughtlessness and even selfishness over road use.

The shoulder is a dangerous place on any highway - and I hope your message gets out to a few more folks. Keep up the good work - I am sure you are a saint to many who have had a problem.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Always have, always will. Glad you're OK. Welcome too!

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Glad you are ok.....
    In my almost daily experience, most people devolve when entering a vehicle and apparently lose regard for anyone's welfare besides their own....

I will end my comments with that....

Stay safe....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Glad you're safe.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

I can not say that was the only time it has happened. I, as do many in any field that takes them to side of the road, have to deal with it all the time. I just finally found a way to say something where MANY ppl can get the message and wil HOPEFULLY take it to heart.
    Thank you all for your concern
    David
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

David,
    I've come close too many times to getting hit while performing a traffic stop. The flashing lights just draw them in for some reason.
    http://www.odmp.org/

Defensor Fortis
    Tutor et Ultor
    Aduentes Fortuna Juvat
    Libertatem Defendimus

Lead Moderator
    Better yet, slow down and move over for any emergency or service vehicles w/ flashing lights.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

A few years ago, while changing a flat on the side of the highway - at night and in the rain no less - some skillet head in a camaro actually gunned it and drove toward me acting like he was going to run me down.

I really wanted to put my 4 way speed wrench through his rear window. I was some mad, I probably could have done it.

Joe

I have worked many PD calls. One time I worked one and during the time I was there, the patrole car was nearly struck atleast 3 times. It sure will rattle your nerves.

and YES....ANY flashing light...or ANY parked vehicle too.Ya never know when the car door will open.

I would have put the $-way through his front wind shield. wouldnt be the first time I have trown something at them(gloves, traffic cone, I have even wasted a full cup of Chicken express sweet tea<<< wont do that again). However, I have calmed my temper in that area a lil bit since I am about to recieve my CHL and I dont want to be the instigator.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    i with most others here ALWAYS get over if possible, if not i will usually slow down considerably and ride the opposite side of the lane.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

I hear ya....I give folks a wide girth when it comes to them being on the side of a road. A few weeks ago, when I went to Jenn's rescue at night to change a tire, there were a few who didn't give me the courtesy either.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Quote Originally Posted by target1911 View Post
    ... at 70+mph. There are things that you dont have controle of.
    On roads that support 70mph, one of the things I often don't have control over is: moving over very much at all. Only if there isn't much traffic, is it generally possible to change lanes. Where I can edge over to avoid cars parked right there, I do; but that's not always possible. At 70mph, of course, the other alternative of dramatically slowing can invite an crash due to the inattention of others. BTDT, and how far people's stupidity will go isn't pretty, when they think they've got a right merely because it's a road and they're there.

Stopping on the side of the road is what it is. It's dangerous for everyone in the area.

The lunatic who nearly sideswiped you owes you an apology. But, as your story suggests, he probably doesn't care. He'll care (perhaps) only on the day he crashes into someone and kills one or more good folks. And perhaps not even then.

The lunatic that stopped so close to the white line on the edge of the roadway also owes you an apology. THAT is the original contributing cause for the risky situation. Had the car pulled 6ft+ off the roadway to begin with, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's appalling how little regard folks have when they stop on the side of the roadway. Unless the car fails to move or there's a cliff or barrier that disallows parking farther from the roadway, it's utter insanity to park right on the edge. Many don't understand this, sad to say.

Thanks for the reminder to maintain situational awareness at all times, to always act with safety in mind, and to be cognizant of the realities of life on the roads.

In Oregon, there's a law requiring the changing of lanes or slowing down, though there's no specific speed to which someone must slow (so far as I know). But there aren't such laws in many places.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Glad you're OK

I've been involved in many roadside close calls. If a 12 foot tall white firetruck covered in reflective tape and strobe lights can get hit, and mine did, the gene pool is truly shallow. We got the "move over law" a few years ago....Yet to notice any difference.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    On roads that support 70mph, one of the things I often don't have control over is: moving over very much at all. Only if there isn't much traffic, is it generally possible to change lanes. Where I can edge over to avoid cars parked right there, I do; but that's not always possible. At 70mph, of course, the other alternative of dramatically slowing can invite an crash due to the inattention of others.
    I know that one cant always move over....but i will go as far to say that 95% of the time , you can. Most of the time ppl can see emergency veh on the side of the road from a great distance. I have had ppl on a very regular basis NOT move over even tho they may be the only car on the road. Thats just stupid and lack care.
    I am not asking you slam on your brakes, just slow down. Most of the time I am seen from a great enough distance that this can be done SAFELY.
    I do know that I am often in a bad spot..ie..the bend of a curve, just over the top of a hill. This is when my customer gets most of the blame.

BTDT, and how far people's stupidity will go isn't pretty, when they think they've got a right merely because it's a road and they're there.
    Amen to this

Stopping on the side of the road is what it is. It's dangerous for everyone in the area.
    I dont deny this at all....It is very dangerous

The lunatic who nearly sideswiped you owes you an apology. But, as your story suggests, he probably doesn't care. He'll care (perhaps) only on the day he crashes into someone and kills one or more good folks. And perhaps not even then.

The lunatic that stopped so close to the white line on the edge of the roadway also owes you an apology. THAT is the original contributing cause for the risky situation. Had the car pulled 6ft+ off the roadway to begin with, we wouldn't be having this conversation. It's appalling how little regard folks have when they stop on the side of the roadway. Unless the car fails to move or there's a cliff or barrier that disallows parking farther from the roadway, it's utter insanity to park right on the edge. Many don't understand this, sad to say.
    This happenes 98% of the time.^^^^ I have had many customers say....My car just quit way back there and i thought i would coast as far as I could. Then I would point out their stupidity by saying(not always being nice) Gee THANKS....didnt you realize that the shoulder back there is 10ft (or more) wide and plenty of room for you to move a safe distance from the traffic. But since you decideds to coast so far, I have 6" from that concrete wall and the edge of your tire is touching the traffic lane. <<<<you have no idea just how often this really happens.

Thanks for the reminder to maintain situational awareness at all times, to always act with safety in mind, and to be cognizant of the realities of life on the roads.

In Oregon, there's a law requiring the changing of lanes or slowing down, though there's no specific speed to which someone must slow (so far as I know). But there aren't such laws in many places.

In Texas, we are not concidered "emergency veh" unfortunatly that means they dont have to move over.....
    Our move over law states that if you cannot move over, you must slow down to 25 mph under the posted speed limit.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links