The Brave One (Movie) - MERGED

This is a discussion on The Brave One (Movie) - MERGED within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just went to see Live Free or Die Hard and there was a trailer for this movie. http://thebraveone.warnerbros.com/# I am really curious to see ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Brave One (Movie) - MERGED

The Brave One (Movie) - MERGED

I just went to see Live Free or Die Hard and there was a trailer for this movie.

http://thebraveone.warnerbros.com/#

I am really curious to see how the role of guns is going to played out in this one... It really could go either way. But knowing hollywood I don't have my hopes up.

Anybody else know anything about this one?
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    We also saw the preview, it looks like she end's up going vigilante on the BGs, that's never a good light, but the Subway scene looked promising, just that one scene alone could change some attitudes I think.

VIP Member
    Interesting trailer...I don't go to movies often, but....

IIRC...the movie is set in NYC....didn't Hollywood know that guns (and people) are very tightly controlled in NYC. Did Herr Bloomberg approve this movie?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I was going to bring this up here, but ya beat me to it. Yeah I know I'll be seeing this one for sure, but Im not happy about the vigilante aspect of it.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

I saw the preview when I saw "Live Free or Die Hard," to be honest I have the feeling it's going to end up a vigilante- victim turned criminal movie.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

I have the feeling it's going to end up a vigilante- victim turned criminal movie.
    That's what I was thinking.

Though it was weird when the trailer started and they got attacked my first thought was "of course they are not armed" and then the subway scene really caught me off guard when I realized she was going to pull a gun. But as the trailer continued my hopes for an actual "pro-self defense" major movie diminished as quickly as they were sparked.

Oh well, hopefully it will be a good movie non the less.
    Last edited by ShadeAngel; July 2nd, 2007 at 03:08 PM.
    "You can't shake the devils hand and say you were only kidding"

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    victim turned criminal movie.
    Maaayyybe. I'm not a huge Jodie Foster fan, but I thought she was pro-RKBA...?

How did you like Live Free Die Hard?

I saw SHOOTER and thought it was AWESOME. First time in a looooong time I've seriously thought about getting a ultra accurate longer range rifle in a more serious caliber besides my ROBAR tuned M1A Supermatch. I have a close buddy who will sell me his Steyr SSG NIB for about $900. Never been fired. Good deal? I think so.

I'll probably go see The Brave One. I don't know if Jodie Foster is pro RKBA but given the number of rather serious stalkers who've dogged her over the years (not the least of which was John Hinkley would-be Reagan Assassin) I wouldn't be surprised.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Kinda looks like a female version of Death Wish. She is certainly more pleasant to look at than Charles Bronson.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Wink +1!

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Kinda looks like a female version of Death Wish. She is certainly more pleasant to look at than Charles Bronson.
    I'll bet you're right. It's a kind of re-make. I just can't see Chuck Bronson getting so worked up over the loss of a dog to start killin.'

Kill MY pup and I prolly could....but not Charlie Bronson!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Oooh, I can't wait to miss this one!

I just saw the ad on TV for the new Jodi Foster movie, "The Brave One."

Here's a snip from an online (L.A. Times) review of it:

In the film "The Brave One," opening in mid-September from Warner Bros., audiences will see Foster's rendition of this kind of a woman, an NPR-type radio host who is thrashed by malicious gangbangers in the first 10 minutes of the movie, then left in a bloody heap to watch them pummel her fiancé to a pulp. Afterward, her character transforms into a cerebral vigilante, methodically mowing down an array of wife-beaters, muggers, hoodlums and psychopaths. It's a replay of 1974's "Death Wish," with Foster as a pint-sized Charles Bronson in a hoodie and leather jacket. Or a reworking of "Taxi Driver" where the girl who so memorably played the child prostitute in short shorts and a floppy hat has grown up and turned into Travis Bickle, her own addled savior.

Like the original "Death Wish," which sparked controversy for theoretically sanctifying antisocial behavior, "The Brave One" (written by Roderick Taylor, Bruce Taylor and Cynthia Mort) seems destined to divide audiences, between those who are titillated by Foster's descent into a cold-fingered executioner, riveted by her startlingly physical performance -- Foster practically invades the film with her tiny, sinewy form and low, modulated tones -- and others who will find it an exploitation movie tricked out like an art film, a morally repugnant exercise in which vengeance is celebrated. And don't be surprised if the controversy breaks down along gender lines between women who groove to Foster's brainy and bloodthirsty rebellion and men who find it all man-hating...
    Not sure what to think, or even whether to see it when it comes out. I think it has the potential to end up deriding those who wish to stand up to gang thugs or who think that it's anybody besides the police's job to fight them. I worry that this movie might characterize those who would CCW as vigilantes, or lunatics, or loose cannons who are a danger to the rest of society...

What do you think?

edit: I just watched an extended trailer on the movie's website, and although a lot of the plot background seems pretty canned (she's a radio host, her dead fiance was a doctor, ho-hum), it seems like there might be a lot of gratifying vengeance stuff in this one. Of course, the whole "intellectual exercise" is about whether the person you become when you seek vengeance is someone you'll want to be...

I'd say "that depends."

I might actually see this one, just to satisfy my curiosity.

VIP Member
    She sure is a hypocrite! Big time anti doing a movie about a female vigilante who uses a hangun… SHEESH!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

i agree with thumper,,,

Heck Dude, I was POd by America's Most Wanted tonight when the Law Enforcement stopped two "bikers" traveling to Sturgis and made a big deal of them both having weapons....three guns and four blades between them. They then glossed over the fact that they both had CCW permits "which are permitted in this area". Then went on to ask them WHY they had them and why one of them needed two. I am really disappointed by THAT exchange. I am thinking about contacting them and complaining.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links