Naw, kid, brakes aren't important...

This is a discussion on Naw, kid, brakes aren't important... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As I sit here, I'm not really angry, but 'steamed' is a good word. In my latter years I've come to dislike a certain type ...

Thread: Naw, kid, brakes aren't important...

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar

Naw, kid, brakes aren't important...

As I sit here, I'm not really angry, but 'steamed' is a good word. In my latter years I've come to dislike a certain type of guy, that being, a lousy teacher.

And so it is with people who teach firearms training and other defense pursuits. There should be an ethics chapter, and I don't mean five seconds at the end of the day like *mumble, mumble* violence is bad.

If a drivers' ed teacher had a large number of students speeding and crashing, we would check his methods and credentials. When a man such as this relays information on deadly skills we somehow give him a pass. In fact, we applaud him.

You know the guy. Perhaps he's a uncle. Perhaps he's a role model. You come upon a child and this 'mentor' and the guy is showing the kid jabs and upper-cuts. He leans back and says to you, "No kid of mine is going to be a wuss." And that attitude imprints on the kid. Avoidance=bad, drawing blood=good.

I think it's bullshiit and we need to draw lines for these guys. Firmly. These idiots are in love with the sound of their own voices. It is not they that will bear months of healing, but the wide eyed student who hangs on their words.

We don't similarly address the consequences of these actions. Excellence far out-weighs ethics. "Use the hollow-points" is tantamount to saying "use the force."

The fact of this is killing kills the killer. And we've all seen that, as well.

We have WWII era grandparents that will discuss their de-flowering with great gusto, but won't tell you about Omaha Beach. I don't know anyone close who even claims to have been in Korea. The overwhelming majority (not just 'some') of the soldiers my age are being treated for PTSD. Massad Ayoob reports that the average length of time a LEO remains in uniform after a shooting is nine months.

Nine months. Two friends fit that category--neither is linked with guns. One helped quell a jail riot, another just smashed a squad car. Actions and ethics matter, and it's essential to learn that before the fact. Guilt is terrible, I have guilt for many actions--seemingly harmless at the time of my action.

I have always been careful with whom I drink. This goes with teachers, gurus and mentors. We give our students the knowledge and hardware that tips the balance of human life. This must be controlled and directed. I refuse to even associate with someone who won't temper as he teaches.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Unfortunately, lousy teachers will always be around, because they will always have students. Some students wise up and leave, but are always replaced by someone fresh and green.

I know of one firearms instructor who hates Glocks, because "they're so unsafe people end up shooting themselves in the foot with them." Glocks are extremly popular, so it's fair to say the sheer proliferation means more incidents. You can't blame a gun for the owner not keeping his finger off the trigger due to poor gun handling "skills."

I've seen some pictures from so-called training facilities that would make you cringe in horror, because back-up buddy is pointing his gun at point man's back.

I've always respected my teachers, but always learned to keep an open mind and realize that what they teach isn't necessarily etched in stone, and sometimes must be questioned.

How are students, who are out to learn, supposed to discern a good instructor from a bad one?
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

The Tourist - You make some very good points. "killing kills the killer" This is very true. Some psychologists call it the "Mark of Cain" syndrome... This is another deeper level of PTSD that most mental health workers do not and can not understand. They often put a rape victim and a veteran soldier into the same "PTSD" catagory and treat them the same way. So as a result, even after years of therapy, you are no better off. But that's another story.

I should know a few things about lousy teaching.

Actually my only real beef with Glock's safety wise is that I hear a tale the early Glock cases have a rod that actually goes through the trigger guard, and that's not a feature of the gun itself.

They do make some people nervous but I ask these same people if a revolver makes them nervous. They always say no and miss the point entirely.

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    Even if you have a fairly good teacher that knows 'how' they fail on the subject of 'when.' Having restraint seems to have gone out of vogue, especially if you have a book to publish.

I remember about ten+ years ago there was a Remington-style figurine of a grampa type bending over a child holding his first rifle. The statue came with a poem, i.e., the words and ethics passed to the grandson. I wish I could find this statue to dramatize my point.

That used to be part of the deal. When the concept was used in a Spiderman movie, people thought it was a unique and new slant. "With great power comes great responsibility."

They characterized George Washington with the phrase, "First in war, first in peace." This used to be the mark of a great man. It must seem a rather tame ideal now that people can fly through the air with a katana.

Links