Bye Bye to the F14 Tomcats

This is a discussion on Bye Bye to the F14 Tomcats within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; To prevent them from falling into the wrong hands, a bunch of them are being shreaded. Read It Here...

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

To prevent them from falling into the wrong hands, a bunch of them are being shreaded.

Read It Here
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

It's sad to see that happening. The F-14's always were beautiful when they landed at Luke. It amazed me how they dwarfed the F-16 and how differently the Navy did things. (No booties on top of a jet, those funny helmets, loading bombs by hand...) I wonder why they're not being retired to the boneyard at Davis-Motham AFB?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    I read that earlier. I understand the reasoning, but man, it's sad. Hate to see them go.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    It's a crying shame. Love those aircraft. We should mothball the fleet of 'em and stow them away someplace. I know we've got 200 A-6 Intruders doing that, ready for export.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member
    Sad to hear it, but I understand why.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

M2

Being a former Navy filghtdeck worker. I can tell there is nothing badder than watching a Tomcat beat the shuttle to the deck. Catapult? We don't need no stinkin Cataplult. Oh and jet blast diflectors glow a pretty red after a little afterburner.....hehe
    God Bless America!!

Watching that video, seeing a bird torn up like that was rather sad. At least they stripped the engines and hopefully as many of the black boxes and AME off first.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    To prevent them from falling into the wrong hands, a bunch of them are being shreaded.

Read It Here
    As the former manager of F-14 spare parts when I was in the Navy, can I say "that's just WRONG!!!"
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    :( Surely, there's a better way to keep them secure than destroying them. Those planes deserve a better end.

The Phantom (F4) and I joined the Navy at aproxtimately the same time. I have spent many hours on a flight deck with those aircraft. The Phantom and I retired from the Navy at aproxtimately the same time. I just hope that I meet a less dramatic end than that wonderful old bird has. I was on the JFK (Kennedy) when the first two squadrons of Tomcats went to sea. The Tomcat was a beauty of warbird. Twin Tailed Terrors was our nickname for them. All Good things finally come to an end.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well you can always throw your copy of Top Gun in the DVD player and crank the surround sound......

Hate to see that happen to such fine aircraft. I loved these planes as a boy.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    Being a former Navy filghtdeck worker. I can tell there is nothing badder than watching a Tomcat beat the shuttle to the deck. Catapult? We don't need no stinkin Cataplult. Oh and jet blast diflectors glow a pretty red after a little afterburner.....hehe
    You got it man, I was a mech, and spent many many hrs on a flight deck...I loved watching the Tomcat roll up to the cat, and watch the front end drop just prior to hooking up to the shuttle. I was an S3 Viking guy, but it almost brought a tear to my eye to see the Tomcats go. In my opinion, that was the poster plane for Naval Aviation.

So Derrin, what boat were you on? I served in two squadrons in Airwing 5 onboard the USS Independence CV-62
    Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6

Aviation Machinist's Mate USN 93-97
    NAF Atsugi, Japan CVW 5
    CV62 USS Independence
    HS-12 Wyverns, VS-21 Fighting Redtails

Links