4yr old shoots self, bloggers blame gun

This is a discussion on 4yr old shoots self, bloggers blame gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/...in_kenner.html Kenner 4-year-old dies after accidentally shooting himself Posted by The Times-Picayune June 25, 2007 9:26PM From staff reports A 4-year-old boy died after accidentally ...

Thread: 4yr old shoots self, bloggers blame gun

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar

4yr old shoots self, bloggers blame gun

http://blog.nola.com/times-picayune/...in_kenner.html

Kenner 4-year-old dies after accidentally shooting himself
    Posted by The Times-Picayune June 25, 2007 9:26PM
    From staff reports

A 4-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head Monday in a
    Kenner home, police said.

The boy, whose name was withheld, died during surgery at University Hospital shortly before 11 p.m. Police initially reported that he appeared alert when first taken to the hospital though the bullet went through his head.

An investigation is still in progress, but police said it appeared the boy found a handgun hidden in a house at in the 2600 block of Acron Street about 6 p.m., said Detective Brian McGregor, a police spokesman. He speculated the child might have played with the gun, and the gun went off. He said police have the gun.

McGregor said the bullet entered the head above the left eye, and exited at the top of the head.

There were other people in the house when the boy was wounded, McGregor said.

He said there were no arrests Monday, but there will be further investigation.

The house where the shooting occurred is a modest one-story brick building, on the east side of Acron between Louis Armstrong International Airport and Veterans Memorial Boulevard.

A woman who came to one door Monday evening and said she was the baby's great aunt declined to provide any details about the shooting. Another woman arrived at the house and entered through another door. A teen-age girl identified the second woman as the victim's mother, but said she did not want to talk to a reporter at that time.

A knot of concerned people stood outside the house, while other people, apparently concerned neighbors, stood outside several other houses.
    A tragic accident, for sure, and the pistol most definitely should have been secured. More than a couple of knee-jerk reactions were posted, though.

Posted by dizzyspin on 06/26/07 at 7:48AM
    In countries that have extremely restrictive gun laws, things like this don't happen. For small kids, their home is supposed to be the safest place they can be. They are supposed to feel as if nothing bad can ever happen to them there. Guns in the home, even if they are supposed to be fore protection, automatically make the home a dangerous place.

May this poor angel rest in peace and lead our legislators to create laws that get guns out of the hands if irresponsible people. I'm sure his poor parents, guardians, and relatives regret the day that gun entered their house. We have no idea of the grief they must feel. The only thing good that can come of this baby's death is if the rest of us learn something from it.

Posted by bloggawa on 06/26/07 at 10:18AM
    LOUISIANA GUN LAWS

CHILD-SAFETY LOCKS
    Must locking devices be sold with guns? No

No state requirement that guns be sold with child-safety locks that could prevent a tragic accident. Child-safety locks cost as little as $10 and could save lives if sold with firearms.

SAFETY TRAINING
    Is safety training required for handgun buyers? No

No state requirement that handgun buyers receive any safety training at all. No requirement that handgun buyers demonstrate any familiarity with gun laws or knowledge about safe handling/safe storage of handguns.

CHILD ACCESS PREVENTION - CAP
    Are gun owners held accountable for leaving guns accessible to kids? No

No state requirement that gun owners take responsible steps to prevent children from gaining easy access to their firearms. Gun owners are not held accountable for leaving loaded guns around kids, even if a young child shoots themselves or someone else with a gun left in plain sight.

JUVENILE POSSESSION
    Are minors restricted from possessing guns? Partial

State law restricts juveniles under 17 from possessing handguns without parental permission or authorized supervision. But there are no restrictions on juveniles possessing rifles or shotguns including semiautomatic assault weapons.

More information here:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/legisla...tate.php?st=la

Posted by jesslsu1 on 06/26/07 at 10:20AM
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LOCK YOUR GUNS AWAY! OR, BETTER YET, GET RID OF THEM! Especially if you have kids in the house...Kids being the ages of 0-18.

I know personally a family that this happened to in NC. The dad had a gun locked away, and a child (6 year old) found the key and was playing with it...Shot his younger brother. Ask this dad, the chance to go hunting a few times a year is not worth losing a child and tearing your family apart. The 6 year-old will be in therapy for the rest of his life.

Kids are smarter than we give them credit for, which is why parents should not keep guns in the house. Anyone keeping a gun laying around is asking for trouble. Guns are designed to kill, if you have them in your house, ASSUME that is what they will do! Even the most responsible gun owners can make mistakes. The best thing to do is to store guns away from your home.

Unfortunately, it is too late for this family. My prayers go out to them in their loss.
    Then this one comes along.

Posted by opinion1000 on 06/28/07 at 10:52PM
    Unfortunately, I just getting to respond to the comments that have been posted due to the fact that my family was to busy grieving the lost of a young child. It does not matter about someone's healthcare ignorance because in some ways or the other we all are. What are so astonishing to me are the comments regarding my family and the gun situation. I'm not at liberty to discuss who gun it was due to the investigation. Granted the gun should have had a lock on it but have any of you ever lived in the area where this occurred? Well I have, any the bad thing about is that it is infested with drug dealers, gangs and a police department that is not really affected. My door has been kicked in by a family high on crack in the middle of the night. I had to use a gun to protect my kids and my self. I have had to have my kids hide in the bathroom due to shooting in the broad daylight and policeman running around with weapons in hand. I know parents that are trying to leave the area but it's hard to try and find a place affordable. And not everyone is on welfare are excepting handouts. There are good people who have to defend themselves from jerks who want to rule a neighborhood. My family respects you sympathy but please think before you judge.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like the Brady drones were trolling for emotion and got a few on the hook.

Idiots

VIP Member
    Tragic.

As for the bloggers...well, one day they may grow up....

Links