Darned flies! (thoughts).

This is a discussion on Darned flies! (thoughts). within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, this sucker landed under the computer monitor and so got dusty! This is about as off topic as it gets! Thing is - I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darned flies! (thoughts).

Assistant Administrator

Well, this sucker landed under the computer monitor and so got dusty! This is about as off topic as it gets!

Thing is - I seem to have two distinct types to deal with in summer - the large ''blowfly'' that usefully goes towards light - and so can be zapped on a window. Then the other - like this lil varmint - the ''pesky'' fly!

The ''pesky'' does not worry about a bright window - it buzzes around my office looking for entertainment. This is usually trying to land on my bald head or nose and it then is war! It does however get its money's worth before final attrition and it seems almost every time I enter or leave office, one (another) sneaks in.

I take some pleasure in the activity around and in several of those foul smelling fly trap deals I have placed around the house and office but still - always a few that get inside. Summer is SWAT time

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

eww
    Darn flies! Got a nice welt on my leg today. Seems a large horsefly decided to snack on me while I was at the range today. He got away.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've moved beyond fly swatters, and even my Dad's old favorite, rubber bands (I still don't know how he could nail flies from 10' away). I've adopted a far more sinister method of relieving myself of winged pests. It works on anything, and nothing that flies will ever develop resistance or immunity to it.

/cackle

I've taken down HUGE wasps with just a quick half second burst of this stuff. It's also great to spray into and around foundation and wall cracks that have nests inside them, not to mention the surface of mud and paper hives.

VIP Member
    For my birthday, my wife got me a couple of electronic fly swatters. They run on 2AA batteries and are basically a hand-held bug zapper. They are a lot of fun when sitting on the back porch with a beer in the other hand. Nothing like the fly and skeeter crisping "ZAP" when you get one. They work just as well indoors.

What can I say, I'm easily entertained.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    ...I've adopted a far more sinister method of relieving myself of winged pests...

A PO MO will be fine for the new keyboard and another glass of peach tea...

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    For my birthday, my wife got me a couple of electronic fly swatters. They run on 2AA batteries and are basically a hand-held bug zapper. They are a lot of fun when sitting on the back porch with a beer in the other hand. Nothing like the fly and skeeter crisping "ZAP" when you get one. They work just as well indoors.

Now that's the absolute epitome of leisure activity!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Now that's the absolute epitome of leisure activity!
    They also work great on bare skin.

Um... nevermind, family friendly.

Administrator
    Those yellow STICKY fly strips work pretty well.
    The ones that come in the little cylindrical cardboard tubes.
    They have a thumbtack and a string on them and ya thumbtack it or hang it up near the ceiling and then pull that sticky strip out.
    They really get stuck on those things.

These things
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post

Need a picture and ordering info!

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I've moved beyond fly swatters, and even my Dad's old favorite, rubber bands (I still don't know how he could nail flies from 10' away). I've adopted a far more sinister method of relieving myself of winged pests. It works on anything, and nothing that flies will ever develop resistance or immunity to it.

/cackle

I've taken down HUGE wasps with just a quick half second burst of this stuff. It's also great to spray into and around foundation and wall cracks that have nests inside them, not to mention the surface of mud and paper hives.
    Sadistic! I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    The ones that come in the little cylindrical cardboard tubes.
    They have a thumbtack and a string on them and ya thumbtack it or hang it up near the ceiling and then pull that sticky strip out.
    They really get stuck on those things.

These things
    Use those at work. 50 year old fire station. Lots of wildlife gets in. Especially hate when somebody leaves food lying around all weekend. Have to come in on Monday and deal with maggots.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Chris,

In the Barn, we use the metered fly spray, they even add a nice scent to it, Let me tell you, Barns have fly's.

The Metering device

The spray, (Lemon Scent)

Edit to add: probably to much for a small office, but maybe just outside of it.
    Last edited by 4my sons; July 3rd, 2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling, what else?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Reminds me of Circle Flies...

A couple of guys were out playing golf in Central FL late one afternoon, when the transplanted Yankee got ready to tee off. Every time he was ready to address the ball, he would swat around his head and face, then have to back off.

After several times of doing this, his buddy (a native Floridian) asked,
    "What's the problem?"

The Yankee replied, "Every time I get ready to hit the ball, these stupid flies keep flying around and distracting me."

The Floridian said, "You mean those Circle Flies?"

"Circle Flies? I've never heard of them."

"Well, Circle Flies are the flies that are always buzzing around a horse's rear end."

Yankee: "Are you calling me a horse's *****?"

Floridian: "Oh, I would never do that. Of course, those Circle Flies sure are hard to fool."
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Practice your hand/eye coordination...use chopsticks grasshopper!

Yes...I've been that bored before...but when when it works..it'll be cool
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Thoughts? You'll soon take that newfangled camera out for a spin once too often, buddy! What's next? Inbound wasps?

Chopsticks, yeah. Man who catch fly with chopsticks can do anything. Grasshopper who leave fly to gather dust can do nothing. Man who photograph fly while dusting ... we don't yet know about him.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Mike - only prob I have with metered spray or permanent repel stick is the low grade presence of the stuff in my air!

They do QK but for me not well enough - the ''peskies'' seem to avoid mine! Plus - one that was hanging over the top of a shot gun propped on wall - let go its tether and fell onto the gun - oh my, that stuff is sticky as all get out .... took a while to detach the thing and then clean up!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Mike - only prob I have with metered spray or permanent repel stick is the low grade presence of the stuff in my air!

They do QK but for me not well enough - the ''peskies'' seem to avoid mine! Plus - one that was hanging over the top of a shot gun propped on wall - let go its tether and fell onto the gun - oh my, that stuff is sticky as all get out .... took a while to detach the thing and then clean up!!!
    I've seen a squirrel wrapped up in one of those... not pretty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links