A Fly By

This is a discussion on A Fly By within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Also recieved this one N I went and did a search on it to verify the story http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fly By

A Fly By

Also recieved this one N I went and did a search on it to verify the story http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/wakeup.asp

Luke AFB is west of Phoenix and is rapidly being surrounded by civilization that complains about the noise from the base and its planes, forgetting that it was there long before they were.

A certain lieutenant colonel at Luke AFB deserves a big pat on the back.

Apparently, an individual who lives somewhere near Luke AFB wrote the local paper complaining about a group of F-16s that disturbed his/her day at the mall. When that individual read the response from a Luke AFB officer, I hope it stung quite a bit.

The complaint:

"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at precisely 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet.

Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise-wannabes feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at Mervyns early bird special? Any response would be appreciated."

The response:

Regarding "A wake-up call from Luke's jets" (Letters, Thursday): On June 15, at precisely 9:12 a.m., a perfectly timed four-ship flyby of F-16s from the 63rd Fighter Squadron at Luke Air Force Base flew over the grave of Capt. Jeremy Fresques.

Capt. Fresques was an Air Force officer who was previously stationed at Luke Air Force Base and was killed in Iraq on May 30, Memorial Day. At 9 a.m. on June 15, his family and friends gathered at Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City to mourn the loss of a husband, son and friend.

Based on the letter writer's recount of the flyby, and because of the jet noise, I'm sure you didn't hear the 21-gun salute, the playing of taps, or my words to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques as I gave them their son's flag on behalf of the President of the United States and all those veterans and servicemen and women who understand the sacrifices they have endured. A four-ship flyby is a display of respect the Air Force pays to those who give their lives in defense of freedom. We are professional aviators and take our jobs seriously, and on June 15 what the letter writer witnessed was four officers lining up to pay their ultimate respects.

The letter writer asks, "Whom do we thank for the morning air show?"

The 56th Fighter Wing will call for you, and forward your thanks to the widow and parents of Capt. Fresques, and thank them for you, for it was in their honor that my pilots flew the most honorable formation of their lives.

Lt. Col. Scott Pleus
    CO 63rd Fighter Squadron
    Luke AFB
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

2. Remove Ads

Beautiful Response.

[rant]
    What is it with people? From AF Bases to the little airstrip I fly out of, an airstrip has been there for decades, the people build houses and condos underneath the normal flightpath and complain about the noise. Hey, the noise was there the day you chose to buy the place. Live with, or better yet, stop building on the open field we used to be able to use for emergency landings. Then when we crash into your house you petition to get the airfield closed. Yeah, it's our fault.
    [/rant]

Thank you, Capt. Fresques and family.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

this was posted sometime back good story though

Lead Moderator
    People also need the reminder that that "noise" is the sound of our FREEDOM!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Beautiful Response.

[rant]
    What is it with people? From AF Bases to the little airstrip I fly out of, an airstrip has been there for decades, the people build houses and condos underneath the normal flightpath and complain about the noise. Hey, the noise was there the day you chose to buy the place. Live with, or better yet, stop building on the open field we used to be able to use for emergency landings. Then when we crash into your house you petition to get the airfield closed. Yeah, it's our fault.
    [/rant]

Thank you, Capt. Fresques and family.
    [rant]
    Same thing with firing ranges....
    [/rant]

Rest in peace, CPT Fresgues.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post

So True!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    People like the complainer are a lost cause. If it doesn't occur to you that they don't just fly around to "impress" people, and if you complain because you moved in under the noise and then found it noisy there, you're a moron and no information provided by smarter people is going to remedy that.

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Absolutely. The day we don't hear that anywhere (and it's already such a rare thing) is the day we close up shop. May that day never come.

Independence Day. Freedom from tyranny. In honor of liberty. In protection of all. Guarding those values we hold most dear.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    The Marines are interested in getting the California Army National Guard to station some units on Camp Pendleton. It seems that people are building expensive houses right up to the base perimeter, and then complaining about the sound of cannon fire. They already can't shoot after 2200.

The Guard has a lot of political pull in California, and the Marines are hoping by stationing Guard units on their base they can tap into that resource.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

This happens everywhere, I remember Englishtown Raceway, the best dragstrip in the country, was located in NJ. That strip was there when it was just a bunch of farmland. Then people started moving closer to the strip and started complaing about the noise. Same thing in teteboro, small airport located in a swamp. People started moving in and then the complaining started.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Quote Originally Posted by GotSig? View Post
    This happens everywhere, I remember Englishtown Raceway, the best dragstrip in the country, was located in NJ. That strip was there when it was just a bunch of farmland. Then people started moving closer to the strip and started complaing about the noise. Same thing in teteboro, small airport located in a swamp. People started moving in and then the complaining started.
    Centerline gun club had this happen in our area, but the complaint came from a real anal attentive over a mile away, every time he heard a shot he would call the police and complain, N a couple of times it was the police that was at the range practicing!!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Centerline gun club had this happen in our area, but the complaint came from a real anal attentive over a mile away, every time he heard a shot he would call the police and complain, N a couple of times it was the police that was at the range practicing!!!
    Just curious, but what does the 'N' represent. I read it twice in this thread.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Just curious, but what does the 'N' represent. I read it twice in this thread.

Thanks.
    Short hand for us lazy people "and"

Administrator
    These types are everywhere... we had several subdivisions go up along a major highway, and of course the nimrods who bought the homes started complaining about the traffic noise.
    The state ended up building sound barriers at taxpayer expense.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Excellent response...I hope the dimwit gets the message...
    I'm sure that the writer told many of his friends of his complaint in the paper...hope his friends see what an idiot he is...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links