Another reason not to trust others to come to your aid!

This is a discussion on Another reason not to trust others to come to your aid! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is despicable. Police: Shoppers stepped over victim By ROXANA HEGEMAN, Associated Press Writer Wed Jul 4, 7:57 AM ET WICHITA, Kan. - As stabbing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another reason not to trust others to come to your aid!

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar

Another reason not to trust others to come to your aid!

This is despicable.

Police: Shoppers stepped over victim
    By ROXANA HEGEMAN, Associated Press Writer
    Wed Jul 4, 7:57 AM ET

WICHITA, Kan. - As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

The June 23 situation, captured on the store's surveillance video, got scant news coverage until a columnist for The Wichita Eagle disclosed the existence of the video and its contents Tuesday.

Police have refused to release the video, saying it is part of their investigation.

"It was tragic to watch," police spokesman Gordon Bassham said Tuesday. "The fact that people were more interested in taking a picture with a cell phone and shopping for snacks rather than helping this innocent young woman is, frankly, revolting."

The woman was stabbed during an altercation that was not part of a robbery, Bassham said. It took about two minutes for someone to call 911, he said.

Calloway, 27, died later at a hospital.

Two suspects have been arrested. A 19-year-old woman was charged with first-degree murder. Another suspect who turned himself in had not been charged as of Tuesday, the Sedgwick County prosecutor's office said.

The district attorney's office will have to decide whether any of the shoppers could be charged, Bassham said.

It was uncertain what law, if any, would be applicable. A state statute for failure to render aid refers only to victims of a car accident.

Eagle columnist Mark McCormick told The Associated Press he learned about the video when he called Wichita Police Chief Norman Williams to inquire about a phone call he had received from a reader complaining about a Police Department policy that requires emergency medical personnel to wait until police secure a crime scene before rendering aid. McCormick said Williams then unloaded on him about the shoppers in the stabbing case.

"This is just appalling," Williams told the newspaper. "I could continue shopping and not render aid and then take time out to take a picture? That's crazy. What happened to our respect for life?"
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Yup, despicable. Indicative of our decline into a "me" culture; "You? Screw you! How can I serve me?!"

Assistant Administrator
    It isn't just the lack of willingness to help - but the obscene nature of disregard, instance taking (expletive of choice) pictures!!!!

Has society become so hardened these days? I presume yes it has and yet, this somehow fails to tie in with all those who choose to ignore taking any responsibility for their own safety - that element is more head in sand I guess.

It seems ever more - "every man for himself". Selfishness coupled with self-righteousness is rampant.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Agree with Chris, our society is going down the

So it looks like Kansas law won't allow the bystanders to be prosecuted? Well, what comes around, goes around. They'll get their's, someday.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Not to excuse the other customers but IMHO not enough info , In my experience its dammed rare for a truly " innocent " to get cut up in aconvience store . It may have happened here , but like some other cases tho there is no excuse for the crime , i await the rest of the story .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I read this on the Drudge Report.

Things like this make me wonder what the heck is wrong with people these days.

Stepping over someone who is stabbed and dieing? snapping their picture with your cell phone? There is a special place in Hell for people so heartless.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    It isn't just the lack of willingness to help - but the obscene nature of disregard, instance taking (expletive of choice) pictures!!!!
    That kind of thing makes me suspect that the person who took the pictures is not mentally that different from the person who stabbed the woman; and may even be the kind of person who would do such a thing him/herself.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    ... five shoppers, including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman ... Calloway, 27, died later at a hospital.

And newspapers around the country publish the names and addresses of (and thereby, essentially, criminalize) those upstanding citizens who take full responsibility for their own actions up to and including carrying a firearm for protection of themselves and others?

Suggestion: track down each and every one of the five callous people and then publish their contact info. Do stories on them and on callousness in general. "Do" them with as much intensity and heartfelt sense of righteousness that the truly good and decent are villified. That would be the honorable thing to do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I was about ready to post, "Unbelievable!" But I was struck by the fact that, sadly, I find this to be utterly believable in today's world. How depressing!

I find it very believable. It's not anything new, either. Remember this story from New York, in 1964?

Kitty Genovese:
    http://www.newsday.com/community/gui...,7944135.story

Detectives investigating Genovese's murder discovered that no fewer than 38 of her neighbors had witnessed at least one of her killer's three attacks but had neither come to her aid nor called the police. The one call made to the police came after Genovese was already dead.

People are hard to understand, sometimes.

I could not even finish reading the story!!!

The news reporters should find those 4 or 5 people and ask them in front of the cameras, "Why did you not help the woman? ... Call 911? ... Put pressure on the wound?"

They should all be
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Not to excuse the other customers but IMHO not enough info , In my experience its dammed rare for a truly " innocent " to get cut up in aconvience store . It may have happened here , but like some other cases tho there is no excuse for the crime , i await the rest of the story .
    Color me one of the most cynical people in Wichita, but this is just a rough part of town. Could be a decent person from the neighborhood who bumped into the wrong person, and set them off.

Only reason I would ever go there would be a surprise mechanical failure of my vehicle. This story did remind me why I am jumping through the states hoops to exercise my right to defend, though. We do walk amongst people with zero regard for life, I just want to be able to respond.

Truly horrible. I can't imagine how anyone could not help. And reminds me updating my First Aid training would be a prudent idea, you just never know when someone my need help.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post

I am cynical as well....but innocent or not I would not just watch someone die like that and refuse to render some kind of aid.

RR, I know you well enough from this forum that I believe you would do something in that situation, right?
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

VIP Member
    This is absolutely disgusting. I would still help a person who is bleeding out, even though I know that if the tables were turned, that person would likely not render aid to me.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links