5-Year-Old Pins Rabid Fox During Family Cookout to Protect His Little Brother

This is a discussion on 5-Year-Old Pins Rabid Fox During Family Cookout to Protect His Little Brother within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported via ABCNews.com: 5-Year-Old Pins Rabid Fox During Cookout 5-Year-Old Pins Rabid Fox During Family Cookout to Protect His Little Brother KINGSTOWN, N.C. Jul ...

Thread: 5-Year-Old Pins Rabid Fox During Family Cookout to Protect His Little Brother

As reported via ABCNews.com:

5-Year-Old Pins Rabid Fox During Cookout

KINGSTOWN, N.C. Jul 5, 2007 (AP)

A 5-year-old boy grabbed a rabid fox by the neck and pinned it to the ground during a family cookout, protecting six other children before his stepfather could kill the animal.

"I wanted to protect my little brother," said Rayshun McDowell, who battled the fox in the front yard of his home Sunday in Kingstown, a town about 50 miles west of Charlotte.

The fox bit Rayshun in the leg, but the 61-pound-boy held the animal down for more than a minute. Animal control officials said Tuesday that test results confirmed the fox had rabies, which is fatal unless treated before symptoms appear. Rayshun is undergoing treatment.

"I looked out the window and Rayshun had the fox by the neck and was pushing it into the ground," said his mother, Shinda Linder. "I couldn't believe what I was seeing."

Rayshun's stepfather, Ryan Thompson, pulled the boy off the animal and kicked it. A neighbor fired a handgun three times but the fox continued to advance.

Thompson, wearing a cast because of a broken leg, said he used a stick and his crutch to beat the fox to death.

Rayshun, meanwhile, asked only for a Band-Aid and didn't complain of any pain.

"Rayshun was really calm and wasn't upset," his mother said. "I couldn't believe he would do something like that. He was so brave, and I was a wreck."

Rabies attacks the nervous system and is transmitted through saliva. It often makes animals aggressive. A 6-year-old girl who was attacked by a fox the same day at her home nearby also is being treated.

The story can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3345299

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Exellent exellent, story. What a tough little guy. Hope they got him some ice cream or something after he got out of the hospital...
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

VIP Member
    Indeed a tough and courageous young man. I hope that the rabies treatments today are not as painful as they used to be, for his and the other young person's sake!

VIP Member
    This is the third news story I've heard in the last week about foxes being taken out by force. I also have a friend who had one scratching at their front door this past weekend.

I've killed or trapped nearly 20....two appeared to be rabid. (I know it's anecdotal, but that's 10% possibly rabid!)

I think the increase in human attacks has been due to the fact they (foxes) are no longer hunted or trapped regularly. Only when they become a nuisance is anything done. As a result you get over population, disease & lack of human fear. This is a reason for decent wild life management.

I was also told about a timber company practice (don't know the voracity of this, so take it for what it's costing you....).......after a parcel is cut-over, the company may introduce a fox pair to help keep the rabbit population down........so that the rabbits won't eat the new tree seedlings.

here's some examples:
    Attached Images
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Yeah this is for me the second rabid animal attacking a person n their yard story that I've heard of in just over 7 days.

In this case the neighbor came over to shoot the animal but assumedly missed all three times which for all must have been terrifying.
    Thank goodness the boys dad was quick thinking enough to use his cast as a weapon toward killing it.

- Janq

"Everything is a weapon." - MommaJanq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yeah this is for me the second rabid animal attacking a person n their yard story that I've heard of in just over 7 days.
    Could this be the begining of the dreaded zombie attacks?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    That's one fantastic kid,

goawayfarm,

My wife read in the paper the other day that there have been 3 confirmed cases in VA this year. Looks like some good hat material there.

Another reason for us to carry around the house.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    That's one fantastic kid,

goawayfarm,

My wife read in the paper the other day that there have been 3 confirmed cases in VA this year. Looks like some good hat material there.

Another reason for us to carry around the house.
    "Another reason for us to carry around the house."- couldn't agree more, plus I'm just a few miles from you, so they're in your neck of the woods as well.....AS WELL AS COYOTES, we've been seeing a lot more of them lately. Coyotes are worse as the can come in packs. (friend shot at a group of FIVE last week!)

The picture of the dead fox in my previous post is one of them I think that was rabid. He was real sickly looking & THIN. I called Fish & Game & the officer didn't seem to be interested since it hadn't bitten any humans. When I got the other one I didn't even bother calling F&G.

This fox also came out in the middle of the day which is weird. Foxes tend to be nocturnal. He was trying to get my turkeys......I shot him when he paused to pick one out to try to kill.

Note to everybody: If you shoot a animal that might be carrying rabies, don't handle it without gloves. Also, if possible avoid shooting the animal in the head. The rabies virus is centered in the head (brain & saliva) & you may get exposed by blood & matter that mist when you shoot, especially at handgun distances! Rabies can be INHALED!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

These critters have learned to adapt

and no longer fear man, there fore are becoming a issue. Now what bothers me is the although the neighbor had a gun and fired at the fox 3 times, but Thompson had to beat it to death with a stick, send that neighbor to shooting school quick!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

That is one tough and fast thinking little kid. I predict he will grow up to be a CCW'er. He's already a sheepdog.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Kids are truely amazing!

He should get ice cream every day for a year!

~Teg

Links