Ugh. Not good. Gun owner kills 2 in Ohio dispute over loud fireworks party

This is a discussion on Ugh. Not good. Gun owner kills 2 in Ohio dispute over loud fireworks party within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can see someone getting very worked up over the when's-it-gonna-finally-stop party, and the noise, the cars parked on yards, the fireworks used recklessly, the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugh. Not good. Gun owner kills 2 in Ohio dispute over loud fireworks party

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Ugh. Not good. Gun owner kills 2 in Ohio dispute over loud fireworks party

I can see someone getting very worked up over the when's-it-gonna-finally-stop party, and the noise, the cars parked on yards, the fireworks used recklessly, the cops maybe not able to do anything about it... But this guy turned murderer over it...

Guy angry over fireworks party shoots several, kills two in Ohio

CLEVELAND, Ohio (AP) -- A neighbor apparently angry about fireworks at a noisy Fourth of July party shot three people to death early Thursday and wounded two others, police said.

Terrance Hough Jr., a 35-year-old off-duty firefighter, was arrested in connection with the shootings, police spokesman Lt. Thomas Stacho said.

No charges had been filed Thursday morning because police were still gathering evidence and interviewing witnesses, Stacho said. There was no phone listing for Hough's address.

Police had received a number of complaints in recent years about loud parties, fireworks and drag racing connected to the house where the victims were shot, Stacho said. Some complaint calls came from Hough's address, but no one called police about the party Thursday night.

The neighbors were throwing a party when two men and a woman, all in their 20s, were shot to death shortly after midnight, Stacho said. He said another man was shot in the elbow and a woman was wounded in the hand.

A police officer who lives nearby heard the shooting and arrested Hough, Stacho said. He said a handgun believed to have been used in the shootings was among a dozen guns found at the home.

The area of neat ranch homes overlooking the industrial Cuyahoga River valley is popular among firefighters and police officers who are required to live in the city.
    Ugh.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Very bad situation!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Frankly I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

People get IGNORANT when they have the excuse (Independence Day) to do really stupid things using dangerous explosives they are not trained or qualified to use, and especially when they're drunk (which seems to be the norm).

I had to move because of neighbors like these. I'm the last person to get vioent, but night after night and day after day of one household destroying the serenity of an otherwise peaceful, quiet suburban block. Can't sleep because of noise, can't relax in front of the TV because of stereos. The windows and stuff on our Entertainment center would literally rattle. It really breaks you down. Man, I'm so glad to live between some old folks and a vacant house now.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Regardless of how much something is completely, agonizingly, and terribly frustrating, it's not legal to shoot someone for those reasons alone yet. I think we all can relate that just driving down the road someone will do something that just totally makes you want to throw a frag into the opposing car and shred it with an M-60. And we all carry guns and think these thoughts! But we have what a vast number of other people do not. SELF-CONTROL. One thing that we've all had to learn while carrying on a daily basis is to try to remove ourselves (the best you can, not always possible) from those situations that may provoke a deadly force confrontation. Prevention and decision making are KEY me thinks and it's sad that this man let his anger cloud his judgment. God bless!
    "Like a muddied spring or polluted well is a righteous man who gives way to the wicked." -Proverbs 25:26

"If the thief is found breaking in, and he is struck so that he dies, there shall be no guilt for his bloodshed..." -Exodus 22:2

I understand. Last night these idiot teenagers were shooting roman candles at their own house! Then lighting bottle rockets in their hand. I had to go over there and shut'em down around 12:30a.m. I left the XD at home. It was 5 teenagers and 6 year old. They were pretty smart with me so I just let the local officer handle it. It was better than me getting into a fight with 17 year kid.

This is why I live on a mountain top - nearest neighbor is a mile away...

That is terrible... personally I could not fathom doing that to anyone because they were lighting off fireworks.

A scenario like that leaves the rest of us in a bad light...

Angry That is stupidity at it's upper most...

Midnight is a bit late and a call to the police would have ended the noise and the party, just plain stupid.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Party at Brommelands!

The guy had to be drunk or on something to shoot someone over fireworks.
    N.R.A. Member
    G.O.A. Member
    Unified Sportsmen of Florida Member

I did forget to mention in my post that I condemn this act of moronicity. I just to say that I understand being royally PO'd, but that is never an excuse for the use of any force, let alone lethal.

PS: I'll chip in for pizza at Brommelands.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaddae52 View Post
    Regardless of how much something is completely, agonizingly, and terribly frustrating, it's not legal to shoot someone for those reasons alone yet. I think we all can relate that just driving down the road someone will do something that just totally makes you want to throw a frag into the opposing car and shred it with an M-60. And we all carry guns and think these thoughts! But we have what a vast number of other people do not. SELF-CONTROL. One thing that we've all had to learn while carrying on a daily basis is to try to remove ourselves (the best you can, not always possible) from those situations that may provoke a deadly force confrontation. Prevention and decision making are KEY me thinks and it's sad that this man let his anger cloud his judgment. God bless!

I couldn't agree with you more. BTW, I like your avatar.

ss
    Eternity...it's Hell without Jesus

USN 1969-1973
    USS Jonas Ingram DD938

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Midnight is a bit late and a call to the police would have ended the noise and the party, just plain stupid.
    Having lived through this scenario, I have to say, not necessarily.

Before moving I had next door neighbors that always shot off fireworks every 4th, well into the wee hours of the morning. To compound the problem, they had "neighbors" across the creek that would shoot back! This was near the downtown area of an urban population center, Portsmouth, VA.

This was in addition to almost weekly outdoor parties that made me wonder if they hired a band and caterers, and were charging admission.

Call the cops, cops come about an hour later. Party stops....until cops leave. Call again. About an hour later cops come back (they take calls in rotation). Party stops...until cops leave. You see how this works, right?

In the middle of one of these bombardments, the wife goes to the store. Cops are hanging out watching the fireworks. Wife inquires as to the legality of said fireworks. Told that they were illegal (we knew that). Then they said they were looking for the source of the fireworks. She said follow me, they are next to my house, I call 911 every time tis happens. They gave her the "go away" stare.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Guy angry over fireworks party shoots several, kills two in Ohio
    Obviously, the guy didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Perhaps he should have.

Dang. Someone in "the business" of saving lives. Doesn't call the police to have the problem addressed. Doesn't even walk over to his neighbors and ask they wrap it up by a reasonable hour. Instead, he kills two people and wounds others. Instead of taking himself out of range of what he likely knew was a stressful situation (dagnab neighbors and their #*!#~$ noise), he opted to destroy two lives and put his on the fast track to hades. Talk about putting a dent in one's life goals, respect he had earned from family/friends/community, etc.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

We were discussing this at work, since the shooter was a fire fighter, couldn't he pull some strings with the Fire Chief and have the buffoons hosed down in the interest of public safety instead... Well we'll never know I guess...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links