Off topic from Two killed from fireworks

This is a discussion on Off topic from Two killed from fireworks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Miami Dade enacted the Nuisance Abatement Ordinance but few people know about it and it seldom enforced because it can be draconian. Although private parties ...

Thread: Off topic from Two killed from fireworks

VIP Member

Off topic from Two killed from fireworks

Miami Dade enacted the Nuisance Abatement Ordinance but few people know about it and it seldom enforced because it can be draconian. Although private parties are not covered by it, illegal sale, possession, or consumption of alcoholic beverages or dugs is covered. And Miami being Miami, you will have minors chugging all kinds of alcohol. Three complaints in a twelve month period can shut down the offending property and that is a heavy penalty to pay. Add to that fines and fees and it becomes a major ouchie.

In our association we have a children's park that was pretty much left alone because the place was in disrepair. This place was just one house down from my property so I had a real interest on the issue because we had all kinds of idiots coming to drink, smoke pot, have sex at all hours. Also it gave access to the lake to people that were not in the association. We kept complaining to the Association but they did not do a darn thing so I got together with the neighbors, called the cops and lodged a formal complaint with Team Metro. We send copies to the Board but also were ignored. After a while we did another set of calls to PD and another formal complaint and now we started to get harrased by the Board. Unfortunately for them this problem and others got them voted out at the next meeting and we got a new Board who was promtly harrased by some neighbors that were in cahoots with the old board.....until one of the old board members ended up in jail for elections fraud at county level. (I know, it is Miami )
    The first thing the new board did was to invite the LEOs patrolling the area to have their meal breaks in the park and saved them a couple of spots in the parking area. It was amazing to see all the miscreant disappear at the sight of an MDPD car. Later the Board approved a night time Security Officer and finally fenced in the park after another incident with non-residents fishing in our lake and invading private property while at it (mine).

I know we all have our personal peeves about more laws and I wanted to comment about this law which could be a tool to avoid incidents like in the other thread.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Glad it worked out for you Miggy.

My wife is applying for a job that would require us to move if she gets it, anyway one of the places we want to move too has a neighborhood association and private lake/ponds.

What should we look for in a good neighboorhood association? I've never lived in that type of community. Right now we live in a 100 year old house which we have been fixing up in a small town (about 5000).

Any advice you can give would be helpful. How hard was it to have the police stop by for lunch? Did you have to offer them free meals etc....
    Last edited by pgrass101; July 6th, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Agh.... there is no such thing as a good Neighbor Association. If you are very lucky, you'll have one where the interferance from the Board and the By-Laws are minimal but the other side of that coins is that you may see that the commeon areas are not as manicured as you want. When you are in an Association, you must abide by the By-Laws and that include the changes you may want to do to your property besides what the county orders on its regulations. Some like Coral Gables or Miami Lakes near dictatorships where you can get fined for going 2 miles above posted or having your bushes not trimmed to their regulations.
    I want to paint my house, but I need to seek approval from the board on the colors because my selection is not in the authorized palette. I know I will get it, but the fact that I require their approval irks the hell out of me. The again this board is not too cumbersome to neighbors and for the fee they charge they are doing a decent job around here. The place is clean and quiet and the property manager is very accesible to our requests.
    Now, if we could kill all the frigging ducks that poop on my entrance, I'd be a happy customer.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Links