Help Me Friends! Going to DC

This is a discussion on Help Me Friends! Going to DC within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know, I know. I swore I never would do it again. My wife has a business seminar in D.C. next week, and I have ...

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar

I know, I know. I swore I never would do it again.

My wife has a business seminar in D.C. next week, and I have the time available to go with her. So I am.

Part of the time I will be staying in (thank God) Northern Virginia at my brother's house. His wife is a fire-breathing anti, but what she doesn't know won't hurt her.

The rest of the time....ugh...the rest of the time, I guess I'll have a knife or two on me while my .41 rests comfortably (and uselessly) locked up in one of my brother's toolboxes down in his basement.

Pray for me, folks!
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

May God have mercy on your soul, because if the "Anti Wife" finds that gun in her basement....
    Just kidding. Try to enjoy the trip, stay alert, and keep safe.

Randy....don't you have reciprocity with VA??

Have your wife take the Metro into DC (do not drive in DC--crazy traffic patterns and cr@ppy parking)--you stay at home and clean guns!

Although you'll be in northern VA, open carry (without a permit) is legal--and since it's hot, you won't need a cover garment.

Mike

Randy...it's been nice knowing you.

Seriously, watch your back and stay in condition orange while you are in the DC.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    yeah, screw DC. I've been clubbing up there a couple times (before I was ever carrying.) and I don't think I'd go back ,period. Nevermind the fact you can't carry there.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Also, keep in mind the Federal rules about knife carry.

If you go visit any of the monuments, the blade length is limited to 2 and 1/2 inches.

I always take my Spyderco Delica when going to the District of Crime but I generally stay away from the monuments. If I do visit the monuments, I go unarmed. . . . . . sigh!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Administrator
    Make sure your out before dark, go in with a full tank of gas so you dont have to stop. Dont get of the beaten path, and dont talk to strangers.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    In the 60's we lived at 14 th & M; was off the street by dark, before dark we were accepted as part of the community. Saw Dr. King do a march right by the building we lived in, and he spotted us and waved.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Do not go

DC

My wife and I were up there 2 years ago. No carry anywhere but we went to the museums and rode the Metro on 9/11/05 train was packed with skins and nats fans only 1 cop at platform. no trouble getting around we were out very late and lived to tell the tell. dupont circle and georgetown nothing to write home about, unimpressed and restaurants in union station suck. we stayed in chantilly VA the restaurants and hotels were much better there than in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Randy....don't you have reciprocity with VA??

Have your wife take the Metro into DC (do not drive in DC--crazy traffic patterns and cr@ppy parking)--you stay at home and clean guns!

Although you'll be in northern VA, open carry (without a permit) is legal--and since it's hot, you won't need a cover garment.

Mike
    I'll second that...stay in the VA side and take the metro if you must venture into DC. That way you not only minimize time in the district of crime, but also don't have to deal with the lunacy of dc traffic and "parking enforcement"(otherwise known as how DC makes their money).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Best of luck. Stay alert! It's unavoidable sometimes.

Links