Wheel chair bound and a flat tire

This is a discussion on Wheel chair bound and a flat tire within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Heard this on the scanner Today a man in a wheel chair had a flat tire and the concerned citizens of this town let him ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel chair bound and a flat tire

VIP Member

Wheel chair bound and a flat tire

Heard this on the scanner
    Today a man in a wheel chair had a flat tire and the concerned citizens of this town let him struggle with the problem. A police officer saw it and called it in planning to help as soon as he cleared his present call. The dispatcher was going to send the fire dept until the dog catcher volunteered to go change the tire. I think officialdom did a great job; but, don't say much for the private citizen; and this from the town that the MSGT that drowned saving the kids lived in.
    Anyway for the Public Safety Dept of Havelock, NC

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I never thought about that, a wheel chair might get a flat. I think a chair would need some run flat tires. Heck, I put tire balls in my dirt bike tires to get me outta the woods in a pinch, I'm sure something could or already has been adapted to wheel chairs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Did the guy's car have a flat or his wheelchair?

In either case, apathy is becoming more rampant every year. It's sad, really.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    Hmm, maybe it was a car tire. I assumed it was the chair with a flat. Do wheel chairs get flat tires? I thought they are like bike tires, but now I'm wondering...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Am assuming the wheelchair bound person was in a car. It sucks people will not stop to help anymore. My mother is in a wheelchair, so you can bet I would be sure to stop and help.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm a Wheelchair User (not wheelchair bound by the way) and yes , some wheelchairs get flat tires.

A "Hospital Chair" ($50.00 - $100.00) comes with hard rubber tires but they are a little rough on the butt.

A "Daily Use Chair" ($3000 - $5000) comes with air tires which can go flat easily. I have "Flat Frees" which have a solid rubber insert in the tread. Costs me about $250 everytime I get a new set of tires.

"Power Chairs" are even more $$$ and specialty chairs like racing chairs and other types go up from there.

The most expensive Chair is currently the iBot which climbs stairs, goes all terrain and stands up and rolls on two wheels....cost: $23,000.00. It is very cool but not exactly something that you get your insurance to buy everyday. LOL

I would assume it was their car with the flat tire. I don't know too many wheelchair users who carry a spare tire for their chair with them.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Maybe the town could chip in a buy the guy a membership to AAA, if it was his car that had the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Maybe the town could chip in a buy the guy a membership to AAA, if it was his car that had the flat.
    For one who has troubles changing tires, AAA membership is the cheapest $60/yr solution there is. Just a phone call away. It's a practical option, given the realities of today's streets (fear of robbery, "me" generation, etc).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    I would assume it was their car with the flat tire. I don't know too many wheelchair users who carry a spare tire for their chair with them.
    LOL, yeah I guess so. It does make far more sense that it was a car tire.
    "Just blame Sixto"

With the wheelchair...my tactical light, knife, G27, spare magazine, ID's, NH Statute Cards and everything else I carry, I don't have room for a spare tire...other than the one from all the cheeseburgers.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Administrator
    wedoada, forgive my ignorance but I got a question for ya... I would think that being in chair would give you some more options on hiding your pistol, does it or not?

This thread and the other one about training in a chair has got me interested.
    "Just blame Sixto"

It really doesn't...at least not for me. Yes, you could attach it to your chair in lots of ways but the first thing people do to me is flip me over, thus separating me from my chair and turning me into a very angry turtle.

I also have a few (cough) extra pounds which make reaching a shoulder or ankle holster not very practical.

I have an ASP baton and several edged weapons hooked to the chair but use a safepacker to carry my G27 or pocket carry for my J Frame.

Oh and never hesitate to ask wheelchair or disability related questions...I've been disabled all my life so I don't get offended very easily and never like to miss a chance to educate folks on disability culture.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by wedoada View Post
    Oh and never hesitate to ask wheelchair or disability related questions...I've been disabled all my life so I don't get offended very easily and never like to miss a chance to educate folks on disability culture.
    I dont hesitate to ask because of the disabled thing, but because it seems like such a basic question that I should know the answer to. Its just put in a different context I guess.
    I've been thinking a lot about this thread and the training for the disabled thread, its a subject I havent considered for a class. I think it might be a good idea to have a series of classes, as I know of a few guys who could benefit from this.

Is there anything out there that teachs how to do basic things like changing a tire for disabled people? For someone who has been his entire life would be a lot different than the guy who is new to the whole disabled thing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    With all these threads about stopping on the side of the road and not rendering assistance because it isn't "tactically sound" or something it doesn't surprise me one bit that most people wont stop to help. Besides that, its hot outside and the car is air conditioned. Not only that, but we only carry to protect ourselves and our family's right ? All others can go to Haydees. Stopping on the side of the road to help someone else might jeopardize our personal safety and we certainly cant be expected to do that...

Anyway, how would someone know that the guy in the car with the flat tire was bound to a wheelchair ? I'm thinking that they wouldn't.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

SIXTO

If someone is newly disabled they usually go to a rehab center and get taught all sorts of cool things to do in their chair and adapted ways of doing everyday things.

I don't know of any classes outside of the medical environment that teaches that sort of everyday thing though.

For someone like me who has been disabled all my life, we're sort of expected just to pick things up along the way that work for us.
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links