Skunks

This is a discussion on Skunks within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok so we were having a drink or 2 tonight in my back yard and all of a sudden 3 skunks come running across our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skunks

Skunks

Ok so we were having a drink or 2 tonight in my back yard and all of a sudden 3 skunks come running across our backyard. Everyone shot up and ran inside. (LOL it was pretty funny) So we were all in my kitchen and being the cool guy that I am I tried to go scare them away bt rolling a rock into a fence. Well when I rolled the rock one of them got in the way and I hit it. I guess the other ones didn't like it and they all gathered up and circled around the one that was done. (kinda crazy) Well the all got together and sprayed and had me running like a little kid back into the house.

My question is how do you guys get rid of your skunk problem? This is my first time I have been so close to a skunk and let me tell you it was pretty crazy. So besides shooting and drowning a skunk what else can you do? I was thinking some type of poison or something like that. (I really wanted to to take all of them out with a .40 round but I am in the city and that wouldn't bee to cool. Besides I would of had to clean it up! )
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

2. Remove Ads

A .22 bolt action with CB (subsonic) rounds to the head should do the trick if you're not adverse to killing them and they're within 30 yards. The CB rounds are quieter than a pellet gun out of my 20" bull barrel. It might stink a bit, but you can be sure they aren't coming back. Probably the cheapest solution, too. Just my .02

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Old fashion Moth balls. I had one take up residence in my garage. I spread the moth balls around and he/she left quickly.

I know…I know… have you ever smelled moth balls?

How do you get their little legs apart?
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

Also make sure there is nothing to attract them....like scraps or pet food.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

You could set a catch and release trap. To move the occupied trap toss a tarp or blanket over it to cover it and simply pick it up and transport the woods-***** to the pesky neighbors property.
    I've heard this method works well, let me know how it works for you.

Have a friend with a dog that wants a snack? (and a bath!)

~Teg

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    You could set a catch and release trap. To move the occupied trap toss a tarp or blanket over it to cover it and simply pick it up and transport the woods-***** to the pesky neighbors property.
    heh yeahhhhhh....I've actually seen this method attemped first hand...it wasn't pretty

Administrator
    Get a bear. Skunks and bears dont get along.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Get a bear

Heck yeah.

That would keep nosey neighbors out of the yard too...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Uh yeah...who's going to volunteer to get close enough to toss the tarp over it?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Skunks are all over here at night. They don't hang out...just pass on through.

The dogs do a good job keeping them from getting too close.

Still have to just shut the window from time to time.

+1 on moth balls. Put them around you foundation and around your shed/pool/garage.

and for "elimination" the CB caps are pretty quiet. These work really well this time of year......just another "firecracker"
    -Biker

dispatching skunks

I recently retired and moved back to our 140 acre farm after 42 years. We have skunks and raccoons messing around here. My younger brother who lives in a village 20 miles from here and loves hunting/fishing/trapping helped me get rid of them. We put a box with a screen on one end and open on the other and put in bait (stale potato chips). Set leg hold trap (no teeth) in front. He said shoot the raccoons in the head and use a .22 short into the lungs of a skunk and it won't spray. I've dispatched 3 skunks in the last two weeks. Seems to work ok, but skunks still smell awful. Hope this helps.

Ed

I've been trapping all sorts of critters for years, and very often a skunk gets caught. The blanket/tarp works, and works good. It has to be rather large (taller and wider than the holder), and soaking wet. Approach the trap from the end, holding the blanket in front of you so the skunk cannot see you. Drop the blanket over the trap and leave it there for a few hours. Later, you can move to a place for disposal (.22 short HP does good). I just toss the trap in the stock and drown them. Another very good method is a bowl of anti-freeze and cat food. Be careful , or you won't have a dog or cat left.

Don't know how to get rid of a skunk problem.

Now, you guys may think I am crazy but, I like the smell of skunk. I love it. In fact, if I am driving down the road here in Rural Shelby County in West Tennessee and I smell skunk, i will roll the windows down to get a really good smell of it. My kids think I am nuts but I really do love that smell.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links